It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beep, beep- Anyone been hearing weird beeps in their home or elsewhere?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey OP, I work with my father, and we're mobile all day long. Every once in a while we'll hear this beep that sounds like it's coming from the base of the XM radio. It's nothing we'd ever heard before and it's not a battery powered device. We've checked everything(the truck itself, our cell phones, and it always originates from the base of the XM....or thereabouts).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by siryancelot

Do either of you have a little tinnitus? Seems to be the one thing in common thru all of this. If not, I think you need to find someone you REALLY trust to have a look inside the guts of that radio.

I lost my original train of thought concerning Tinnitus and the link to the weird beeping we and others near us hear. (crazy freaky storm of literally nonstop lightening for 3 hours straight decided to park right over the house. Big fun there.)

I sleep with earplugs in (VERY light sleeper)- and I have noticed how LOUD the beeps are. Like I am not even wearing the things.. And well more than once- the cats have heard them, too- they perk up and have that "whuh?" look.

I did have a nice benchmark to work with this morning concerning location and finding a 'usual' beep, like my cellphone battery needing a charge vs. the other. I woke up, heard the cellphone beep, located it within a couple seconds, plugged it in. I only wondered what it was for an instant. These other beeps, are NOT like the cellphone, and with the exception of the watch I was hearing- I kinda wonder if someone wasn't lurking outside- that whole area was checked, and I had to move the a/c unit in the window recently- all I found was crud in the window frame, and spiders. But, I digress. For cellphone vs the mystery beep, I knew what it was, where it was, and knew what to do about it. Mystery beep- Nope. I will admit to one other thing, however. I was awoken one morning by a woman's voice calling my name, just as clear as anything. This has happened twice to my knowledge. The first time, it was a woman's voice who called my name and told me "don't give up!" (I was nose deep in a very BAD personal problem). THAT time, I was awakened by it, yes- but I was so upset I told the voice to shove it.

Yes, I know. I just get weirder every post.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It seems a bit too obvious but have you checked the batteries in your smoke detectors? Assuming you have one or two, of course.

lol.. i spent weeks looking for the bleeps once to find out it was the smoke detectors.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
To me late at night i hear like a distant digital dial up, at first i thought it was my modem but i hear it late 2am sometimes. One time actually i went out for a late doughnut, and the outside payphone was ringing, i answered and it was dots and dashes it sounded like morse code. Then later on that week, I got a yearly subscription unknown to me to entertainment weekly and it was addressed Sid Morse. That was in 2004. trip out,

Kill

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I have had a mild tinitus over the years. At night when lying down I would hear a high pitched wee oooo..... A long flight at 35,000 feet to Ireland cured it, all the fluid in my sinuses started running out. I didn't even konw I had fluid in my sinuses. I felt so much better!!! After getting sick it sometimes comes back, but in 2005 I was miserable before the trip hearing high pitched beeps, and whines. It drove me crazy and made it harder to sleep. Some Tinitus web sites lists foods you should't eat.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've heard beeps for years mostly before i go to sleep or about 2-3am i hear them and just shoot awake!! heard one about an hour ago and shot awake, [spent 40 minutes then lookin for something online bout it and found this thread.]

wen i hear them before i go to sleep i tend to feel a pulse of a nerv in my head and then drop straight off??!!

i dont have tinnitus btw....

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Last night some friends and I were out in the yard drinking, sharing some laughs and whatnot. During a moment of silence I heard a constant high pitched hum, like when tinnitus is at its worst or you're getting one of those experiences like you're connecting with some unseen force. It sounded like something that only you think you're hearing, because when I asked what the sound was my friend said he thought he was the only one hearing it. Other buddy heard it too. It persisted for about a minute and then stopped. We're all fairly intelligent individuals familiar with electronics and we couldn't figure out what it could have been. This had to have happened between 11 and midnight. The hyper-ass dog who runs around non-stop chasing invisible objects, looking for things in tiny cracks in concrete, trying to see what's under the legs of a table was standing completely still. When the sound stopped the dog started running around again. It was nothing mindblowing but we were all baffled. It was definitely like, okay this sound can stop now though lol

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have heard this too, however my experience is limited to houses that are wired for electricity, and I don’t hear this when in log cabins in the woods/forest that have no electrical wiring.

Outdoors it is the same; I only hear this in places that are wired for electricity, above ground and underground street wiring.

Personally in my case I think it is related to this, and love when I can get away into the forests/woods in log cabins or even tents and have no electrical devices with me and I do not here these sounds.

I carry a pocket watch that is wind up only, and gas lanterns, if I bring a lantern, lots of time just use makeshift torches for light. I am a live off the land type when in the wilderness.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Could be a slight nudge for you to awaken. Are you spiritual at all?

Tones in the ears, bells, are sometimes low key wake up calls... a guide or angel communicating.

Mine was three bells. Just three, very distinct, very clear... ding, ding, ding. No one around, quite, still night, no churches. Boy am I glad I listened!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I couldnt help thinking of your post when i saw an advert for this at ThinkGeek.com

The Original ThinkGeek Annoy-a-tron would be useless against an army of Snowbots, but it's very effective at disturbing that guy in the sales department or your "friend" down the hall. With its thin design and embedded magnet for easy hiding, the Annoy-a-tron can be placed in a variety of locations. Select one of the three sound choices (2 kHz, 12 kHz, or alternating) and push the switch to the on position. Place it in a proper hiding spot and let the "fun" begin.

The Annoy-a-tron generates a short (but very annoying, hence the name) beep every few minutes. Your unsuspecting target will have a hard time 'timing' the location of the sound because the beeps will vary in intervals ranging from 2 to 8 minutes. The 2kHz sound is generically annoying enough, but if you really really want to aggravate somebody, select the 12 kHz sound. Trust us. The higher frequency and slight 'electronic noise' built into that soundbyte will make a full-grown Admin wonder where his packets are.

* 3 simples steps.
* Turn on.*
* Hide it.
* Muahahaha...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
At first I thought this was caused by electrical gadgets that people had forgotten about or whatever. And then I read that most of you have tinnitus....

I looked and looked for a source but cannot find one; - I'm sure it was in the '80s that this happened but there was a horse with tinnitus that other people could hear. I mean, you could stand about 6 feet away from this horse and hear the weird sounds in its ears.

People get it too - I think it's called objective tinnitus. Maybe that's what's happening?

Also, when I'm falling asleep and I get to that stage between sleep and awake, I hear weird noises - beeps, shouts, hisses. Maybe 'tis a combination of these factors?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Last time I heard "beep, beep", it was the Road Runner...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I know this is an old thread but I just heard a strange beep noise and ended up here and I signed up just to post a reply to this (though I've visited this site many times before).

I am in my bedroom, the only noise is the fan. I have my laptop on my lap and my cell phone is lying on my left hand night table almost fully charged (so its not a low battery indicator).

I distinctly heard a long beep followed by a short beep and it sounded like it came from the right side of me. There is nothing in the room that makes such a noise and this is the first time I've ever heard this beep noise before. I find it very strange and to be honest I'm a little weirded out by it. I read through this post and I do not have the common link that several of you all have which is tinnitus. I'm really baffled at what it could have been. I keep looking around as if I'm going to suddenly find something new that could have caused such a noise. Has anyone figured this out yet?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SwingAway

I've experienced this in the past too, posted my experience on this site. Everyone that hasn't experienced it blames it on tinnitus or the smoke alarms (which I have, but weren't hooked up at the time). Everyone that has experienced it know it's something other than the simplistic answers offered up (and there are quite a few on this site). I heard three high toned beeps followed by three lower toned ones. When I got up to investigate, they went away as soon as I looked down the stairs. It was right as I was waking up in the morning.

I personally think that for a brief amount of time people are able to hear signals floating around in the atmosphere. Perhaps able to hear higher or lower frequencies that we normally don't register. Either caused by changes in the Earth or changes in people. Again, just a theory.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
trucks backing up could make these sounds.
sound can travel far distances.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hey!! Thanxxx so much for posting! I have also heard weird beeps. It is actually not an unusual sound but just a typical electronic beep sound. I have not heard it often but it is very clear and I have nothing in the house that makes that sound.

We have no smoke detectors as standard in our houses here. And there is no smoke detector in our house.

I have no ear problems.

Wow! I was also to shy to post cause it seems luny.

Thanx again for posting.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
None of your power supplies are a UPS system are they? Sometimes those things beep under fault conditions. Also some things like cable boxes or modems beep when there is some kind of fault, even though they are normally silent operating devices.

I'd suggest going over all your electronics again with a fine toothed comb. Anything powered by a battery or that plugs in an outlet should get another look-over.

A beep from something might not mean the device is bad either. An intermittent problem with something like your electrical power or the signal on your cable lines may be what is making normally quiet devices speak up.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Right there with you guys. We haven't heard it in a while but I too have a little tinnitus from playing in bands growing up. The really strange part of this thread aside from those coincidences is the bats. We've got a bunch of them that must be living in little caves down by the creek. We learned the first night we settled into this house that you DONT turn the underwater light in the pool on ever. First the bugs come and then the bats are not shy of humans. On a side note I work in the communications field and have been in more areas of houses than most of the people who owned them. I wired this house for everything low voltage and am a gadget guy with no "kids toys" and forgot about it eventually. The worse half will be glad to hear there are others experiencing this!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm not admitting it or anything but I hear a single beep in my house very rarely and while living in my other house previously. Not too loud, not as loud as the low battery alarm in the smoke detecter. I've tried to locate the noise recently when I hear it but there is no justifiable cause. I do not have tinitus.
edit on 11-10-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wow, glad this thread got a bump.

For the last couple of years we have been hearing a small electronic beep or chirp. We, meaning Mr. Angrywhitechick, and the cats. We often hear it after we go to bed but before we have time to go to sleep. It sounds like it is nestled between our pillows. We've looked under and behind the bed, moved the mattress and nothing. I even felt up the pillows. We've each had new cell phones since this started and they're usually off at bedtime anyway. There is nothing else that would make that noise.

In the last couple of months the beeping has expanded it's territory and we occasionally will hear it in the dining room or living room. It is just odd.

It is sad that I have to check my sanity against the cats reacting to the sound, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join