It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call to Jihad, Answered in America.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

MINNEAPOLIS — The Carlson School of Management rises from the asphalt like a monument to capitalist ambition. Stock prices race across an electronic ticker near a sleek entrance and the atrium soars skyward, as if lifting the aspirations of its students. The school’s plucky motto is “Nowhere but here.”

New York Times

MINNEAPOLIS —
The Carlson School of Management rises from the asphalt like a monument to capitalist ambition. Stock prices race across an electronic ticker near a sleek entrance and the atrium soars skyward, as if lifting the aspirations of its students. The school’s plucky motto is “Nowhere but here.”

For a group of students who often met at the school, on the University of Minnesota campus, those words seemed especially fitting. They had fled Somalia as small boys, escaping a catastrophic civil war. They came of age as refugees in Minneapolis, embracing basketball and the prom, hip-hop and the Mall of America. By the time they reached college, their dreams seemed within grasp: one planned to become a doctor; another, an entrepreneur.

But last year, in a study room on the first floor of Carlson, the men turned their energies to a different enterprise.

“Why are we sitting around in America, doing nothing for our people?” one of the men, Mohamoud Hassan, a skinny 23-year-old engineering major, pressed his friends.
In November, Mr. Hassan and two other students dropped out of college and left for Somalia, the homeland they barely knew. Word soon spread that they had joined the Shabaab, a militant Islamist group aligned with Al Qaeda that is fighting to overthrow the fragile Somali government.

Get This :

'' The case represents the largest group of American citizens suspected of joining an extremist movement affiliated with Al Qaeda. Although friends say the men have never thought of carrying out attacks in the United States, F.B.I. officials worry that with their training, ideology and American passports, there is a real danger that they could. ''

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
But surely they would'nt be allowed back into the country right?

BTW it seems that this is happening over here in England too..... we'll just have to tighten up the borders!!

[edit on 11-7-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
its already happening in Britain..
British born muslims are leaving to join the fight against British and American troops in Afghanistan...
it wont belong until they start attacking our troops here in Britain..
after all why travel hundreds of miles to kill a soldier when there base is just a short drive away..

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
what about all the ex-military/navy seals/special ops/veterans/etc that become guns for hire to anyone willing to pay?

IMHO, at least the 3 in the OP are doing something they believe in instead of simply doing it for the highest bidder.

Also what about the militias across the US, they are no different really. If SHTF or Big Brother oversteps their boundaries, watch what will happen.

my 2c

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Well it is certainly inspirational that the Somali refugee youth have found the jihad of their sweetest personal aspirations...it's nice to see sincerity in today's America...but I do notice that when and if they blow Americans up, it might tend to work against my personal American interests, pretty much...whereas the mercenaries and militias you drag in (I know, though, when black persons are criticized, it IS more groovy to immediately reference some irrelevant bad white persons for disapprobation, many people have that reflex) never seem to be blowing up stuff pertaining to me as much as al-Qaeda is said to...all thefts may be morally equivalent, but my buddy the thief isn't stealing from ME, know what I mean...whoever determined that we should import these Somalis in the first place is not to blame, I'm sure...maybe we didn't give them enough free stuff and hugs.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
But people, Read up on the EU. one star for each nation joining right ??
Nato and UN are guns for hire by the Elite .. C'mon now !!!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Isnt that islamic group that just beheaded 7 people in some village sguare for supposedly renouncing their muslim faith?If thats what they want to do good riddance.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Per the article, they cam to this country from Somalia. One would hope that their passports are invalidated, and their naturalized status, stripped. Leaving the country to take up arms with a group dedicated to war against this nation should be de facto renouncement of citizenship/legal status.

new topics

top topics

join