It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange sea creature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
if this has been posted previously i apologize
lol

This video was recorded at a depth of 2500 Km. underwater, by chance an animal that looks almost alien, a squid Magnapinna a strange kind of cephalopod. The recording made on November 11, 2007 in the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico by the Shell oil company shows the curious animal swimming. the most strangest feature of this organism is its tentacles which have elbows. Also, the wings that are common in squid but in this particular individual move uniformly with the waves. It makes him look like he is just floating over air and not swimmin in the water.

looks like some kind of octupi or something squid like, definatly a weird creature, looks alien like almost lol

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sweet. Wonder what type of octopus/squid it is.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Looks like decent video of a giant squid.Pretty good vid of one if that is what it is(I'm pretty sure it is)...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've seen this video somewhere else before but I'm not sure where. I'm terrified of sea dwelling creatures for some odd reason but I can never drag myself away from something like this. I always end up giving myself the creeps. This reminds me of the aliens in Independence Day for some reason

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here is an old post of this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bigvanhorn

ahh good find
still a freaky looking thing lol

@HarlieQuinn yea it is kinda independence day stuff innit

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Creepy! I swear the deep ocean freaks me out a bit but that is an interesting sea creature.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Oh cool.
Now you know, people are going to pay big money to eat those things.
I can see one served up with some sticky rice and lemon wedges...
Ugh...I think I just made myself sick...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The oceans creep me out, and seeing stuff like this doesn't help much (ha.)

But I will say I find stuff like this to be more than interesting.

Enjoyable post.

-GH

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is why I dont go swimming in the sea, you dont know what the hells out there!

Although, this one's quite cute, looks like a windchime

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Why that there looks like a large Bigfin Squid...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by revdrdrsunshine

That is exactly what that is, a Bigfin Squid. Excellent job

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
People this is not a monster, a giant squid, or an octopus... ITs A FREAKEN JELLYFISH!!!

Look at the head and tentecles.
Squid or octopus heads don't move like that. Plus the tentecles are to thin.

Or mayby its a new species.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by dragon seeker3]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I took a second look it is a squid.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dragon seeker3

Yep, a Bigfin Squid. But it does have similar movement to a cnidarian (jellyfish), I noticed that, too.

Here's some more information:
en.wikipedia.org...

The bigfin squids are a group of rarely seen cephalopods with a very distinctive morphology. They are placed in the genus Magnapinna and family Magnapinnidae. The family is known only from larval, paralarval, and juvenile specimens, but some authorities believe the adult creature has been seen...

The Magnapinna pacifica finds have been called a "cryptid" by cryptozoologist Karl Shuker,[4] who was aware of the other specimens and video evidence but deems it a cryptid because its adult form currently remains undetermined by science...

The first visual record of the long-arm squid dates back to September 1988. The crew of the submersible Nautile encountered a long-armed squid off the coast of northern Brazil, 10°42.91′N 40°53.43′W, at a depth of 4,735 metres (15,530 ft)....

Very little is known about the feeding behavior of these squid. Scientists have speculated that bigfin squid feed by dragging their tentacles along the seafloor, and grabbing edible organisms off the floor.[8] Alternatively, they may simply use a trapping technique, waiting passively for prey to bump into their arms.[8] If so, they would be the only known passive predators among cephalopods...

Very interesting! It's even classified as cryptozoological because of it's morphology.

Sometimes, organisms at very deep depths have poor eyesight and move as little as possible to conserve energy. This squid is very unique!!

top topics

join