It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the internet made conspiracy theories more or less credible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Now before you jump to say that the internet has been integral in advancing conspiracies, please hear me out.

I have no doubt that the internet has made information readily available. Obviously, when something happens in the world today, the internet allows millions of people to be made aware and for the news to spread relatively quickly. But has this also allowed panic, hoaxes and disinfo to spread too, negating the possitives?

Also there is something to be said for the internet making conspiracies too easy.

In the old days you would need hard evidence that you obtained yourself, photos you took, or an insider you met. Research had to be thorough and able to withstand inquiry.

Has the internet made things too easy? Has the integrity been removed with the advance of broadband and computer technology?

I am sure, that given twenty minutes, you can find a you-tube vid, news article or report to support absolutely any argument that one wishes to make.

Has the internet made conspiracies more unreliable, less credible than they already were? Has CGI and digital technology made conspiracies less believable?

I beleive the answer lies somewhere inbetween. Take 911 for instance. The internet has allowed analysis and theories to flurrish, but on the other hand how many bogus theories since debunked have circulated on you-tube, ATS and the far reaches of the Web?

I'd appreciate your views on this matter.

kiwifoot

[edit on 11-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The internet is simply a tool. How effective it is in anything depends on the user. No argument is more or less credible because of the internet alone.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i dont think a conspiracy is ever reliable.
but one thing is sure and that is that without the internet i would be living like a ignorant little kid with a obama shirt on.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well that depends on the Source.

Some sites are more creditable than others. I think a strict enforcement of weeding out Hoaxes and obvious frauds goes a long way in order to maintain credibility of a website.

So far I think it has helped. Many more people have access now than ever before to alternative "Theories"

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Websites like Infowars and others like that are very good and reliable 99% of the time, but websites like Above Top Secret are full of #. There is a football stadium of disinfo on this site and the good topics get buried very quickly. People on here prefer sensationalistic # to the stuff that's backed up by evidence from the media or scientific publications etc.

I bet many of the members on this site are working for the MI6 judging by the sort of brainless nonesense they put on this site. Maybe this site was started and run by the MI6. I'm saying MI6 because this is run in the UK I think.

That's why I don't come here that much, and other people have made similar complaints as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
The internet is simply a tool. How effective it is in anything depends on the user. No argument is more or less credible because of the internet alone.

What I mena is, is it too easy to make up a conspiracy theory with the rise of the internet?

Can any crackpot theory be proved?

Have the days of serious investigation been ended by you-tube and Wiki?

See where I'm coming from?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I understand what you mean, OP. Internet has made many more gullible, open to suggestion, in the way the print and tv media once did.

Just about any theory, no matter how seemingly insane, will find supporters on internet these days --- and yes, this is exploited, with the sheer volume of conspiracy theories detracting from what we personally may feel to be genuine.

At the same time, there has to be a tipping-point for most, when they reach overload and jettison the lot.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I would say the internet has simply made CTs more widely circulated.

new topics

top topics

join