It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would we be called in an intergalactic federation/war?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Of course the species of aliens would have their own names for us, but I think in the chance of a galactic federation, all species would work something out so we could come to an agreement on one single name for every species, so no confusion happens.

Personally, I like the name Terrans, it represents our home planet, along with sounding nice, either that or Homo Sapiens or simply Human Beings. What do you think we would want to be called, as a species, to a galactic federation and/or war, if we had a say in the matter?

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How about...
insignificant

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The name for Earth in an Intergalactic War

That's a very Interesting Question

I have a name I would like to volunteer.

I find very fitting of our probable representation in such a conflict.

"TOAST"

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yeah i was going to go with something like

Lunch

But thats not all that helpful now is it

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hey Deus, I also like Terrans,but in a war they would probably call us collatoral damage

[edit on C: by JMech]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well I'm not really sure if we'd be toast, or lunch, or easy prey just like that. We're probably viewed as "Space Amish", meaning it looks like we're not much of a problem, but yet again we don't have our nuclear warheads just laying in plain site, now do we? We could give them a little superweapon surprise quite easily, couldn't we? USA alone has nearly 5,000 warheads, and probably more that the public is unaware about. Not counting other countries, who in the chance of a galactic war, would probably(Hopefully, if they have the least bit heart) side with their own species.

But yet again that's optimistic thinking, and not taking in account the fact that they may just want us gone and don't care about our planet, they could easily just blow up our planet/send an asteroid our way/blow up the moon just as easily, effectively killing us in the process.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

The Other White Meat?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Well imo , if such an intergalactic war were to take place , I doubt it would be here and involve us per say . Like Others have said if that whole alien federation n what not story is real , then amongst the other species in the galaxy we wouldn't be worth worrying about .
Sure we have heaps of nuclear weapons , but the only people we are capable of hurting with them is our own kind .
Would be easy peasy for an alien craft to take one out .
We are pretty much insignificant if you believe the galaxy is full of aliens traveling every where and having wars and such.
Personally I'm not convinced of that , but still , I like the name Terrans

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh we would be involved the Bush administration spending Trillions on the Black Budget has assured we meet the minimum technological capacity to target under intergalactic law.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
We would be called a depot. A refueling station. Nothing more.

Its sad really, because we have so much potential, but it won't be realized until we grow up and overhaul our political systems to the benefit of the people.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Who knows? History is written by the victors.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Im gonna put my money on "Earthicans" ... if futurama has taught me anything it's that the human race is toast until about 2500C.E. lmao

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
How about...
insignificant

I prefer...
adorable

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Of course we have potential, we have mass amounts of it. And with mass amounts of potential comes the opportunity to become a galactic heavyweight. Just wait until we get everything settled with our own species and start colonizing space, we're going to be a real big problem if there is such a thing as a galactic federation. Our species may seem stupid, but we're not, we're incredibly intelligent, we will be able to reverse engineer anything thrown at us and use it for our own, we're very fast at adapting to new environments and change, even though it seems like change is what most people hate, if we have to accept it- we will, and we will become experts in no time for whatever we have to accept.

Look at planet earth, there are people living in negative zero temperatures, there are people living where it gets above 120 every day, and they still find ways to survive and work. Our species is incredibly adaptive, and I know we will find a way to travel long distances in mere moments, while it may not be in our lifetimes, we will find a way, and we will start to colonize space.

Now if I was an alien, I would certainly see our species as a problem or even a potential threat if we started hopping from planet to planet and claiming them as our own, draining up all the resources and making bases on every moon, wouldn't you? You know any less intelligent alien civilization we see, we're going to drop down and invade them then claim the planet and it's resources/potential technology as our own.

The only thing we have to watch for are those less civilized "Space Amish" that are secretly watched over by a much more intelligent civilization, where any species that messes with the less intelligent species goes extinct, on a species level.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
'' They who learned nothing by history and closed their eyes to the truth''

or '' Easy Pray ''

or '' dumbest monkey in the cage ''

I think there are lots of nick names for some one who dont fight back or speak up ...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
John Doe's...

Tasty... good with chilli sauce?

Maybe... That terrible soap opera, that you just can't help but watch.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Hrrrm

Well if history is written by the victors I would fully expect our name in the war to appear something like this...

Frackerionoinergaxaxvixizuyertulier 3

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
it should just be humans, terrans only indicate living on the ground but surely aliens live on plants to and would live on the local terrain, making them terrans to ??

it wouldn't be a galactic war with us more bombardment from space.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Okay maybe I shouldn't have used war, since you're right, at this point in time we are absolutely nothing, not even a dot on the radar, not even a little speck, we are still confined to our home planet for god's sake! IF any alien species wanted to, they could permanently and ultimately wipe us from existence forever.

But uh, lets say there exists a galactic federation, do you think they would come down and just ask us what we would want to be called or would they already have a name for us based on what we look like(Putty creatures? Weird upright freaks? Solid mass beings? Ugly abominations of nature?
)

I doubt it, but I think in the case of a galactic federation, to avoid confusion with other races, all species would come to a single agreement on to what call another alien species, given that all the species are actually capable of pronouncing the name given.

I dunno, I just find the whole concept of a galactic federation very interesting. Would there be like a ... Universal Nations?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
And well terran does indicate living on the ground, but Terra is also another name for our home planet Earth, which Terrans which be the plural to describe the most advanced species on that planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join