It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unanswered questions about the film "The Secret"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here is a popular New Age film called "The Secret" that shows only the first 20 minutes.

www.youtube.com...

You can try to watch the whole thing or download it here: stagevu.com...

My commentary:

This film and its content shares a wonderful message and revelation that our thoughts affect our reality a great deal, which has a degree of truth in it and can be used for positive beneficial change in one's life. Yes the "law of attraction" is real. We do tend to attract more of what we think about, good or bad. I've experienced this myself and seen it in others' lives.

However, it is also very naive in the way it spins this New Age concept and the law of attraction. Thoughts are not "all powerful" as this film and other New Age gurus and books try to spin them as. Sorry to say but LIMITATIONS exist. We do not have total control over everything that happens and we cannot have "everything" we want, nor can we become "anything" we want as this film claimed, not in the literal sense. There are some things we just can't control, not even with the "law of attraction" or our thoughts. That's just simple reality and any down-to-earth person with common sense knows that.

No one can use their thoughts to walk through walls or fly like superman for example. Or move mountains, grow back amputated limbs, stop bullets, etc. If thoughts had that kind of power, the world would have been destroyed long ago, for many would have used such powers (The Secret) for evil or selfish purposes. Yet such limitations are never defined in films like this nor with many New Age gurus that teach this concept.

Also, while it is true that you do attract what you want and don't want, there are limitations and exceptions on that too, which this film never acknowledges. For example, there are plenty of times when I was positive and optimistic about an outcome, waiting in excited anticipation, yet the whole thing bombed and turned out to be a big disappointment and let down. And I can recall many times when I was worried and afraid that something terrible was going to happen, yet much to my relief, it didn't happen or turned out to be no big deal at all. Everyone has such examples. How does this film and its teachings explain such common occurrences? It doesn't.

To me, that's intellectually dishonest and a lack of common sense as well.

Simply put, if expectations always came true, as this film seems to imply, then disappointments and surprises would never happen. The Titanic would never have sunk, since everyone thought it was unsinkable. And the Y2K scares back in 2000 would have all came true, yet thankfully they didn't.

So I don't get why many wise knowledgeable New Age gurus whom I respect, such as Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra, still teach that thoughts are all powerful and that expectations always come true and that everything that happens to us is in our control and a result of what we created, etc.

Furthermore, if "the secret" was that simple, then why doesn't everyone have only positive thoughts so that nothing will ever go wrong?

Finally, it is not true that you can be whatever you want by thinking it or putting your mind to it. I can't become Michael Jordan for example, or the President of the United States. I don't have the talent and there are too many factors going against it that would make it impossible.

See my essay exposing the flaws and limitations of this "thought creates reality" concept, where I ask questions they don't answer, at: www.debunkingskeptics.com...

In short, yes the law of attraction and positive thinking can and will HELP you get what you want, but it is NOT all powerful as some New Age authors claim. There are many factors and variables that we have no control over, including other people's wills, so we have to learn to work optimally with what we have that's within our reach.

Thanks,
Winston

[edit on 11-7-2009 by WWu777]

[edit on 11-7-2009 by WWu777]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good topic and good questions.

I don't have a lot of time to talk at the moment, just wanted to say that you touched, I think, on one of the biggest reasons why it doesn't always work out how we'd like it to, because we have to take into account OTHERS thoughts and actions, as well.

I do think that the secret is on to something, but it's only scratching a superficial surface of things. There's a LOT more to things than what they go into, and what they miss is pretty big.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Its more of a physcological examination than a new age bible. Every time somone brings up "the secret" i cringe. This is what it is for though... you mix truth in with some bull$%^& and allow the fools to pick what they want. The idiots will go for the magical aspects of it, and the smart one understand the phycological aspects of it.

You cant blame somone for allowing people to have their own desires for stupidity weed them out, or even kill them. It is their own desire for magic and special powers that lead them to their own distruction.. let them take that road to their suicide, because there are people who really deserve the help.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
S&F, there was a time where the "secret" worked, for the baby boomers. Those golden days are gone now.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Though I do appreciate The Secret for what it is, I do have my own issues with it as well...

I think its a remarkable movie for those who have never "dabbled" in New Age beliefs before....its obviously marketed towards them.

My biggest problem is the following:

Yes, I agree there are people who are always sick or always down on their luck and they have terrible, terrible attitudes. However....connecting health and power of thought is not entirely accurate (and quite cruel really) when I think of all the wonderful people with great spirits who still succomb to illness. Are they trying to say someone who has cancer "asked for it"?. Obviously not the intention, but it comes off that way. I remember watching it and thinking that part was very tounge-in-cheek for me....

The physical and the mental are inter-twined....but not direct cause and effect.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
Are they trying to say someone who has cancer "asked for it"?. Obviously not the intention, but it comes off that way. I remember watching it and thinking that part was very tounge-in-cheek for me....

they were trying to say that it doesn't matter whether you wanted it or worried about it...you thought about it. thought creates things.

but i do agree with everything else you and most of the others have said.
i do think its a good introduction...i guess i could see where it would be misleading to people if you took it like a "bible." i guess i take it like i take anything else, i keep what resonates with me and toss the rest.

i do like to watch it from time to time though...even though i know its not QUITE like that, i have used quite a bit of it in my life since i saw it...and tweaked it to fit. and so far, its working out pretty well.

i've been a stay at home mom for quite a while now, and now my S.O. is "stay at home dad" i guess. he does things here and there, from home, and we have more money now than we did when he was working! our thought is that the whole point was to spend more times with the kids, so the money is just an added bonus!

so i would say that there is some value to it, you have to make it work for you, i guess.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hi, thinking persons.

There are 2 or 3 persons, talking in the 20-minutes, that
I have seen in the first line of my signature. . .

Consider to buy/rent/see what my first line points to, also. B-)
I did, and it changed my life, and my vision of life !

Blue skies

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
While I certainly agree with the OP, about practical limitations of reality being unaddressed in The Secret, I would like to share an experience that I had with it.

A little background:

I had built up a recruiting agency from my basement, to a 17 person firm occupying almost half of a small commercial building in Barrie Ontario, but after 9/11 the economy took a tailspin, and eventually I just couldn't hold it together, but had mortgaged everything in the process, and so down it and I, went. Lost everything, condo, home, cottage, car, cash. Spent a few years afterwards kind of running, as my life crumbled behind me, until eventually I ended up back in Barrie, in a tiny one room appartment, on welfare with barely enough money left over to even feed myself.

Some time prior, a couple friends of mine in Toronto had invited me down for an "event", which turned out to be the premier viewing of the movie "The Secret" which was being hosted at a hotel conference room by a lady named Martia Martin who had been involved with the people in the movie, and was using it as a kickoff for a seminar she was putting on. I kind of liked it, and managed to get a copy of it for myself.

In the midst of my down-and-out period, I watched it a few times, and felt that since I had nothing to lose, I would try it, so I got a "vision board" corkboard, and placed it above my little plastic desk in my tiny room, and on it, I pinned up pictures of the life I wanted to create for myself. I had spent a LOT of time talking about moving to Vancouver BC with a friend of mine, and so I got back to presence to that possibility, among other things that I would want to be involved in once there, so I put up pictures of the Vancouver skyline, of the mountains and the ocean, pictures of hockey and skiing, and I even had in mind the company that I wanted to work for out there, but all in all, I had no way of making this a reality, I had nothing, and I was depressed, out of shape, and generally at the end of my rope. Nevertheless I kept looking at my vision board, and trying to maintain a positive attitude, but I was starting to grow tired and was having some serious doubts if what I was visualizing would ever come to pass.

One cold winters day, as I was walking downtown (didn''t have enough money for a bus), to hit the Salvation Army soop kitchen for lunch before heading off to my crappy part time telemarketing job selling circus tickets for a bogus Police Association scam thing - I stopped. I looked around, and said to myself, what the hell is this? This isn't me. I can't do this anymore. And right there I made a vow, and a firm decision, that by the same time the following year, my vision would be a reality, somehow..

Just TWO days later, I get a call from a buddy of mine who I grew up with and had kept in contact with over the years, and he tells me about this friend of his who had been visiting from BC who's husband I had provided some advice for a few years prior, on how to conduct an effective job search, as they were wanted to get out to BC themselves and apparently it worked for them. Anyway, she had been wanting to set up a recruiting company, and my friend suggested she hire me and told her I needed somthing like that. So I called her, and within two weeks, I had plane tickets, a rented apparment waiting, and off I went, leaving my past behind! Woo hoo!

I ended up leaving that company (she was a bit of a bitch) to join the other one I had in mind. This past winter I formed a hockey team of a bunch of single players who were looking for a team. Didn't actually ski, but visited Whistler mountain. I don't yet have the yacht I'd pictured, but all in all, my vision board has become my new reality.

I didn't even DO anything, other than hold the vision, and try to keep a positive attitude about it, in the midst of something that looked nothing like the life I was wanting. There was no real plan, I didn't save up my money, or get a new job, the universe seemed to just throw me a line, that's the way it felt to me.

But it didn't happen until I made the FIRM decision, and it sure worked!!!

Each day now, as I head down to my company of choice, by cab (yes I can afford to take a cab every day to work) and cross over the Burrard Street Bridge, I see the exact skyline I had on my vision board, and as I look down and see the boats cruising along on bright sparkling waters, I give thanks to the God of my understanding, for throwing me a line when I needed it the most.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The actual secret is that all men were created are all equal and we are all one. We are all part of one living breathing being called consciousness. Without this knowledge mankind has allowed itself to become slaves to religion and government.

Thats the real secret.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
yeh the concept is good but like someone said we all have our own wills

so it could be used in a bad way? if you were that way inclined!?

i did hear a story of someone who got into reiki and used it for their own benefit/glory, they became quite ill..

i have always believed in the universe/god, it,she,he just seems to be getting bigger and bigger

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
You say people can't walk through walls, stop bullets, or fly.

Can you prove it?

You create your own limitations. I have heard stories of reputable journalists approaching far-East monks to see them apparently walk right through a wall to avoid them. I have also seen a man stop a bullet with his hand, in a video posted on ATS. I have also read techniques for travel that would qualify as flying albeit not in a physical body. And just because I have yet to accomplish any of those things myself does not mean I think they are impossible. On the contrary, I believe they are very possible, and in fact everything imaginable is possible.

Yes, there are limitations. Totally self-inflicted limitations. We are learning to unwind these.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think it's time for me to make a new vision board! Maybe that Yacht, and the new company I'm visualizing that I'd like to create, are in the realm of what's possible..

For the most part, what I've learned from appropriating what works from The Secret, is that the outer manifestation of our world and reality, IS really and truly a reflection of our inner world and all the thoughts and feelings we've had up to the present, and these ARE changable, and therefore, the as yet unborn future is like a blank canvas upon which we, as co-creators with God, can paint just about whatever we like, and if we want it bad enough, and are serious enough about it to practice this process, we CAN, within certain limitations, manifest our heart's innermost desires.

Life was made, in part, for this kind of creative play, and to teach lessons, but once your lesson has been learned, then it may be time to enter the next sphere of creativity, so don't let the past, and the familiar fool you, and trick you into thinking that you do not possess this power, because you do.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
You say people can't walk through walls, stop bullets, or fly.

Can you prove it?

You create your own limitations. I have heard stories of reputable journalists approaching far-East monks to see them apparently walk right through a wall to avoid them. I have also seen a man stop a bullet with his hand, in a video posted on ATS. I have also read techniques for travel that would qualify as flying albeit not in a physical body. And just because I have yet to accomplish any of those things myself does not mean I think they are impossible. On the contrary, I believe they are very possible, and in fact everything imaginable is possible.

Yes, there are limitations. Totally self-inflicted limitations. We are learning to unwind these.

I haven't seen any New Agers walk through walls or fly or move mountains. I'll have to see it to believe it. There is no documented case of it ever happening.

Question for you, if thoughts create reality then why did the Titanic sink, when everyone thought it was "unsinkable"?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by WWu777]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

HAHAHHA bravo! Indeed the titanic was the untimate test of thoughts NOT effecting reality.

O im gonna remeber that one... soo good.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
Question for you, if thoughts create reality then why did the Titanic sink, when everyone thought it was "unsinkable"?

Because it was built and populated by people such as yourself, not yogis. Literally a world of difference.

Considering that thoughts shape reality, what reality are you shaping for yourself right now? You might say a realistic one, but then who wouldn't?

Case in point: I mentioned in my last post I've seen a monk stop a bullet with his hand, right out of the barrel of a gun. The video is actually on YouTube and has been posted around ATS. You would watch it but you still would not believe it. He also sets some paper on fire without using a lighter or matches, but you would not believe that if you saw it with your own eyes either. So it does not matter. The truth is that the people who reach these levels of awareness are not interested in what you think of them anyway. You have your priorities all in the wrong place and have a lot of personal issues to overcome before you would benefit from any of these things. There is nothing to gain from trying to prove anything to you anyway.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Heh, maybe because everyone thought it was UN-sinkable, that it sank, since it apparently works as effectively as an "is not" or "should not" since there's nothing that is not, only what is.

In other words, if I'm focused on something not happening, that's the same as focusing on it happening.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Telling a layman that thoughts create reality is like telling a layman that you fly a plane using your hands. I'm only beginning to understand how much there is to it myself. I have no interest in combating peoples' egos. It's not like they aren't going to figure it out themselves eventually anyway. They have all of eternity.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In my opinion The Secret is an over simplified version of how thoughts create reality and I believe the true teachings of Jesus Christ. This is a wonderful philosophy and as you have pointed out WWu777 there are limitations. I am more inclined to say there are consequences and since there are a lot of people on Earth you don't get your way every time. I always caution to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it and then regret it.

Thoughts can be used to become rich, but when you think of money do not think about using it to solve your problems. By doing this your problems are in your thoughts and this is what you get in return. There are reactions to every action and money will not solve all of your problems and it can create a lot of new ones.

Think of this, you believe people cannot walk through walls so they don't and your right. Someone else believes that he can walk through walls so therefore he does and he is right but since you don't believe in it you cannot see it. Personally I don't believe people can walk through walls unless it's really poor construction.

The tough question is what do we really want? When you start to believe in yourself and understand how powerful thoughts can be, it becomes apparent that we all must be mindful of our thoughts. Our own thoughts, words and actions can seem to be impossible to control at times. The more attention we pay to our thoughts, words and actions the easier it becomes to control them and maybe someday you can start walking through walls.

Where I am at with this philosophy is an understanding of how difficult it is to control our thoughts and how easy it is to get sidetracked. Words are meaningless but never the less people use them many times without regard to their true meaning. I think of thoughts as energy, positive thoughts attract energy towards you and those around you- negative pulls it away from others. The good news is that it takes very little positive energy to dispel negative and a whole lot of negative to over come positive.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Here is a great thread on the topic "Law of Attraction" by our esteamed moderator Skyfloating.

Very good information:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

PS: I thought the film "The Secret" stank. I was not impressed.
I thought "What the Bleep" a much better film on that concept.

However why put limitations on things. What if you allow for the possibilities that one could re-grow a missing limb?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Try walking into a betting shop at the end of a day and tell all the people there who are broke that they just didn't want to win enough and see what kind of response you get.

Imagine your in a desert dying of thirst.. the last thing on your mind will be water. If the secret worked then no one would ever die in such circumstances.

Notice how in the video at first they tell you there is a time delay between making the wish and getting what you want and then later on there is a guy saying he just visualizes a empty parking space when he parks his car and he gets it.

This really is a waste of time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join