It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sotomayor Backers Attack The Firefighter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

No there were blacks and Hispanics who took the test as well. None of the blacks passed the test and that is why the results were thrown out. The thing is not all of the whites who took the test passed it either.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
As a black dude that has taken quite a few organized tests, i can feel those black firefighters dilemma. It comes down to exposure. I watched Bill Mayer Politically Correct show and he made a comment about this test and said it was partially biased, it had questions like name one of the Beetles, and what does SPF stand for? I don't use sunscreen and I've never heard a beetles song but i am sure (i think) the situation is reversed for my white homies, i'm sure a vast majority have been exposed to the Beetles at some point in time and used some kind of sunscreen (i hope..skin cancer). Remember there is only one black dude on that sits on the Supreme Court, the rest are white.

Until i see those questions myself, you must be outta your mind to actually believe i'm going to rely on some white dude's word that that test wasn't racially biased.

Hell, i got a test for some ATS members to illustrate the cultural divide. Just four questions..

1- What's a byrd?
2- Have you seen a traphouse in your hood?
3- What kind of bread do ya'll push? Wonder or wheat?
4- Whats the price of the white girls where you live?

Depending on your exposure you may or may not be able answer those questions.

You do realize he was joking right trying to make fun of the idea that the test is racially biased. Wow guy the est wouldn't ask questions like that that is why it was funny get it!

PS Are you trying to say your culture is all about coc aine and doing drugs just curious about the questions you asked odd trying to prove your point by using examples of the worst parts of inner cities.Quite frankly its kind of sad that you show cultural differences through drug references and sex.

[edit on 7/11/09 by dragonridr]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Ah I see... Thanks for clearing that up for me. Still the one's who passed the test should have recieved the promo I think.

Sometimes people fail a test for reasons other than racism, lol

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by samhouston1886
reply to post by Jenna

I am Hispanic and I can tell you that this elitist piece of thrash does not represent us but she may represent the segment of lowlifes that every race has.

I like many others of color, will stand with my White Brothers and Sisters when the time comes.

Very well said and I will be proud to stand with you.

We are all Americans and must stand together. Dont forget our Native American, Black and Asian brothers as we are all involved in this battle for ALL our futures. They have also sacrificed/suffered greatly in the past and must be a major part of the solution or we all lose. Race and political ideology needs to take a back seat to get the United States "back on its feet".

The Elite and their minions in Congress with their "Divide and Conquer" routine have us right where they want us. All out fighting between Democrats and Republicans, trashing decent human beings, all the while, both parties doing us through the back door, and then asking for a donation. Strange considering there is absolutely no connection between the people and their reprsentatives. The only people they represent is themselves and their bank accounts. To hell with the people, we can pass legislation without reading a single page. Who needs them!

We must regain our country and our freedoms so we can once again be "WE THE PEOPLE".

How Obama can select a judge for the US Supreme Court with her history of racial and gender related comments, not to mention the US Supreme Court over ruling the decision she supported 9 to nothing, says it all. She should get the old "Adios" and be assigned to "California's 9th Circus Court of Appeals" where she will be with her own kind. Left field loonies.

Obama seem to want to destroy us by also packing the Supreme Court, and his selections, if approved, can affect the way we live for the next 40 years. How many more will he have to replace. 2 or 3 more? Pretty scary.

On top of that, a 12+ trillion dollars deficit, with more to go, is not chump change. And they want a second stimulus bill? How many generations will it take to clean up the abomination caused by the elite's Wall St. bankers and our High and Mighty politicians. All of these folks should behind bars and all assets seized and return to those who lost most everything.

That includes Chris Dodd and Barney Frank. Quite a pair of liars. Barney needs a break - in with the prison general population for his justice.

Dealing with Chris Dodd, requires an appreciation of a little "gallows humor". A good, strong piece of hemp rope and a 10 foot drop will solve that problem in a just manner.

We may never recover from Obama. He can destroy us in one term.

God, I'm glad I'm getting Old, but fear for my kids and future grandkids living in a post Obama world far outweighs my fear of dying.

Maybe it's just me.

Jenna

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Oldnslo]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
I could be wrong here, but I thought that the firefighters case was brought forward because, in that specific group of test takers, they were all white and they all passed but they were denied promotion because no minorities could be promoted, since none took the test...

No what happened was none of the black firefighters passed the test. So then they decided to have everyone retake the test. After they retook the test again none of the black fire fighters passed. However there was a Hispanic fire fighter that did pass and he was also connected to the law suit but no one mentions him at all. The scary part is promotional tests asks you questions about your job and the really sad part is they shouldn't fail there fire fighters and should know there job.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Almost everything O has done has been a double edged blade, Sotomayor's appointment is a joke. It's like getting all the kids picked on in the school yard and putting them in charge. Being a strong etc etc etc. Is equality show preferential treatment to certain groups? Not since I last checked! Racial and ethnic pride are supposed to stop at the point were they run into being a US citizen. No one groups rights are more important than anyone else. So does Sotomayor have the peoples right under law in her mind or just one group? This garbage of racial quotas or affirmative action is comical really, lower the standards so everyone has a equal chance. Bad news no one is created equal! Would anyone want to take a medication that had half-a**** testing done on it? Or a vehicle that had lessened safety testing? By lowering standards you do more harm than good. I disagree with passing someone over due to color , religion, sex or sexual preference! Laws to prevent qualified people of any sort from being discriminated against awesome, lowering the bar just to make certain groups happy no. The problem isn't in the tests, It's in the policy makers who want to keep us at each others throats. Once upon a time a great man had a dream where everyone would have the same opportunities, he died for this dream and his legacy has been trampled by a feeling of entitlement that the whole country feels is theirs!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Blacks that failed the test dont need to be promoted , They are not smart enough to pass , We know what time it is ,what we are talking about here Black ghetto kings that want what we got but not working for it ,

[edit on 063131p://pmvpm by yenko13]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Any negative feeling towards a person due to their skin color, be it white(tannish pink) or any deeper hue, is considered 'racism'. Not reverse racism but racism itself. I have personally experienced racism from a 'black' man. It made me laugh. Point is racism can come from any 'race'. Even though any one can call someone with a different color of skin a race. Aren't we all humans? So a 'white' guy and a 'black' guy are two different races? We are all human with relativity the same dna? Is a cocker spaniel and a German Shepard different races? their dogs right? So....what makes blacks and whites different races? Skin color? Location of...well origin i guess? What ever. I have better things to worry about.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by js331975

Yeah they need to change the term to "Breedism".

Racism would be being passed over from a job simple because you were not a "Grey" and were a human.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Typical Democrat style!
I'm not the least bit suprised by this news. Anyone who opposes their [warped] ideals is subject to attack; anyone who attacks them, however, is evil, racist, stupid, etc...
The model of true hypocrisy! Congrats lefties... this is your ideal society!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

No, no no all i'm saying is how a question is presented, it's wording that is all. It is just local dialect that is all. And it's not the worst part of the inner city your looking at from the outside in..it's a subculture.

All of four of the questions pertain to the exact more or less to the same thing and it gets my point around. I'm not a thug or live in the inner city and i can answer those questions can you?

I stand by my earlier statement too. I want to see what questions where on that test. The ruling was 5-4, too close imo. That tells me that 4 people felt that the test was biased in some regards.

Also, some people just don't realize that if they flunked the test..it just means they weren't smart enough to pass it.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I watched Bill Mayer Politically Correct show and he made a comment about this test and said it was partially biased, it had questions like name one of the Beetles, and what does SPF stand for?

If Bill is correct, and these questions are really on this test, then the questions that I would be asking is why are these questions even on the test at all. What does ones knowledge of pop-culture or skin care products have to do with their ability to fight a fire??

UNLESS The test is racist and these pointless questions that have no bearing on a candidates promotability are simply serving the purpose of weeding out candidates who are less likely to have been exposed to the answers.

It COULDN'T be that.. could it??

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Oh yea, there IS tense competition. If you don't do it..then someone else will.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
HOW IN THE MOTHER HELL CAN SUPREME COURT JUDGES RULE AGAINST THIS?

The justices ruled 5-4 in this case? More than 40% of the supreme court justices did not agree that this test was fair?

WTF is going on? I am getting really scared after looking for answers. What am I going to find if I dig any deeper?

How can you rule against this evidence?

I guess since being a judge is a political position that you have to run an election to get and you rule in favor of the opinion of those who put you in office?

Justice just got ftaghd in the awhole.

Every time I try and stick up for my country I find just how deep the corruption rabbit hole goes. I am getting really fed up. It sickens me to think that the decision of the supreme court was not unanimous on this case. How could you possibly rule against this?

If there is something I am missing PLEASE PLEASE help me out before I blow my top. My face is red I am raging so hard.

From my post here:

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for a court split 5-4 along ideological lines, reversed an appeals court ruling Sotomayor joined last year that rejected a claim that the City of New Haven, Conn., discriminated against white firefighters by throwing out a promotional exam after all the African-American firefighters who took it scored too poorly to be promoted.

They voted not on the discrimination matter, but on their ideology, which is what they are not supposed to do. Otherwise they'd just be a 9 member U.S. Congress.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I am still not getting that. What ideology were they debating? Was it the ideology of racism? What? You lost me at ideology. Please explain further just exactly they were voting on? I am not the smartest poster on the board.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by samhouston1886

Oh I know. She only represents herself and whoever happens to be whispering in her ear, just like the majority of those holding public offices. I'm all for women in public offices, assuming they know what they're doing of course, but she is one woman who doesn't need to be anywhere near a bench based just on her comments and attitude towards interpreting the law.

reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

They're not going to put the test on display. If they did, they would have to write up a brand new one so that the answers couldn't be memorized ahead of time. Keeping the test questions out of public view serves the same purpose that your teachers in school not giving you the test questions ahead of time did. It prevents cheating. Personally, I want the firefighter who comes to put my house out to have passed his exams on his own. I don't want one who knew what was on the test ahead of time and just memorized answers.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Also, some people just don't realize that if they flunked the test..it just means they weren't smart enough to pass it.

True!

You bring up a good point, and normally I agree that there are many baseless accusations racism, sometimes even incorrectly but honestly percieved, used flippantly to gain an unfair advantage. "Reverse racism" is seeing a healthy resurgence due to Obama's presidency.

That being said I think that in this case the test appears to be unfairly biased. Moreover we are seeing an all to familiar, and increasingly popular, defamation and end around backdoor attacks to discredit the victim and create an air of innocence and false persecution around Sotomayor.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienChaser
That being said I think that in this case the test appears to be unfairly biased. Moreover we are seeing an all to familiar, and increasingly popular, defamation and end around backdoor attacks to discredit the victim and create an air of innocence and false persecution around Sotomayor.

The Supreme Court says otherwise. And in this case, the actual victims were the white and Hispanic firefighters who did pass the test but were refused the promotions they earned because none of them were black. The firefighters who failed, did so because they apparently don't know how to do their jobs as well as they should, not because of their skin color. The test was over fighting fires and the equipment necessary to do their jobs according to every thing I've read about it. There's nothing biased about that since it's their job.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Hispanics are a major force in American politics and the goal here is to have Republicans work against having an Hispanic woman on the court so that can be used in future elections.

Unfortunately I think you're right. It won't matter that she's an absolutely horrible choice, all that will be pushed aside in favor of pretending that the only objections to her are that she's hispanic and female.

OK
you guys said it and thought it

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well its working Obama,with these really good nominations and all,the great divide is a great success.When will Ayers get his position?

If this is how you bring people together then I can't wait to see what s comeing when you really get wound up.

What a President to behold.

To stay on topic the fact is that Obama just does not have anyone but bottomfeeders to choose from,so they have to bring anyone who challenges them down to there level,so the firefighter is fare game,the libs will go after his family next I bet.Hope he doesen't have a disabled child.

These are the people running the country now,what a hoot!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join