It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sotomayor Backers Attack The Firefighter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

Supporters of Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor are quietly targeting the Connecticut firefighter who's at the center of Sotomayor's most controversial ruling.

On Friday, citing in an e-mail "Frank Ricci's troubled and litigious work history," the liberal advocacy group People for the American Way drew reporters' attention to Ricci's past. Other advocates for Sotomayor have discreetly urged journalists to pursue similar story lines.

Specifically, the advocates have zeroed in on an earlier 1995 lawsuit Ricci filed claiming the city of New Haven discriminated against him because he's dyslexic. The advocates cite other Hartford Courant stories from the same era recounting how Ricci was fired by a fire department in Middletown, Conn., allegedly, Ricci said at the time, because of safety concerns he raised.

So, the Democrats feel it's better to attack a true public servant, rather than face a truly racist decision by their top contender for the U.S. Supreme Court. This goes right along with AG Holder's decision Caucasian's cannot be victims of hate crimes. Are these signs of where the Obama regime are taking us to where the 'equality' you receive is determined solely on your skin color, and you will be attacked openly for questioning that 'equality'?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The real problem here is the vicious way the interest groups on both sides go after these folks. It essentially started with Bork and it has gotten worse since that time. Interest groups have simply become too powerful.

That being said, it is dissapointing that Obama chose her. She has been overturned by the high court over 60% of the time one of her decisions has reached the court. In years past, someone with that record would not even be on a short list. There simply had to be better choices. I think this is a pure politcal play. Hispanics are a major force in American politics and the goal here is to have Republicans work against having an Hispanic woman on the court so that can be used in future elections. Election politics, plain and simple. A real shame, plain and simple as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
Hispanics are a major force in American politics and the goal here is to have Republicans work against having an Hispanic woman on the court so that can be used in future elections.

Unfortunately I think you're right. It won't matter that she's an absolutely horrible choice, all that will be pushed aside in favor of pretending that the only objections to her are that she's hispanic and female.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. Sotomayor is bush league. But she also happens to be a Hispanic woman who has no problem legislating from the bench. OBAMA IS IN LOVE. Let us hope she will not be confirmed.

It is despicable for the Sotomayor supporters to go after the firefighter(s). They studied sometimes for 14 hours a day and tested in good faith.

AFFIRMATIVE RACISM MUST GO!!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hmm, kinda reminiscent of the Obama fanatics crucifying Joe the Plumber.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It sounds like low level terrorism to me. They call protesting low level terrorism because it is people trying to bring about change by drawing attention to a problem they perceive. What is real low level terrorism is influence organizations using pressure tactics to get people investigated or harassed by government agencies.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sure attack the victim of the crime.I hope shes not confirmed is all id like to say at this time.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel

Wasn't that the lead up to the 'one single dime' speech?

Wonder how that's working out for them?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Has anyone actually read the questions on the exam?
I am kind of curious which questions on the test are biased.

Can any of you ATS whizzes provide a copy of the test itself so that we can go over each question 1 by 1 and determine which if any of the questions on the test are racist or biased against blacks and which are questions that whites would be more easily able to answer?

If you can make a new thread that lists every question and we can discuss each question 1 at a time and give our input on how it would be anti black or pro white.
It would also be a big help if we could get a black firefighter and a white firefighter member of ATS to examine each question as well. And maybe a Hispanic ATS firefighter as the neutral territory.

What say you?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

There is no need to. There were no blacks or hispanics taking the test. That is why it is so wrong.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I thought the whole dilemma was that none of the black firefighters taking the test passed it at all and that was the drama?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel

And Palin, lover her or hate her.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 11-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
Has anyone actually read the questions on the exam?
I am kind of curious which questions on the test are biased.

I have done quite extensive searches, and the test is not available on the net.

Can any of you ATS whizzes provide a copy of the test itself so that we can go over each question 1 by 1 and determine which if any of the questions on the test are racist or biased against blacks and which are questions that whites would be more easily able to answer?

If you can make a new thread that lists every question and we can discuss each question 1 at a time and give our input on how it would be anti black or pro white.
It would also be a big help if we could get a black firefighter and a white firefighter member of ATS to examine each question as well. And maybe a Hispanic ATS firefighter as the neutral territory.

What say you?

No. As stated prior. But I'm sure the U.S. Supreme Court did see the test in question, and ruled in favor of the white firefighters.

The Supreme Court handed a victory Monday to a group of white firefighters charging racial discrimination, while also giving some fodder to critics of President Barack Obama’s pending nominee for the high court, Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for a court split 5-4 along ideological lines, reversed an appeals court ruling Sotomayor joined last year that rejected a claim that the City of New Haven, Conn., discriminated against white firefighters by throwing out a promotional exam after all the African-American firefighters who took it scored too poorly to be promoted.

Source.

Now, after this ruling overturning Sotomayor's decision, why would the 'liberal advocacy group People for the American Way' decide to attack Frank Ricci?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I am Hispanic and I can tell you that this elitist piece of thrash does not represent us but she may represent the segment of lowlifes that every race has.

I like many others of color, will stand with my White Brothers and Sisters when the time comes.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by samhouston1886

Agreed, I know several Puerto Ricans who despise her for her ties to La Raza and her controversial rulings.

While I hope she does not get confirmed I think it's pretty much guaranteed at this point. The Senators don't want to be labeled as racist if they oppose her confirmation so they will approve her. It's a sad state of affairs in this so called fair and equal system of ours when the very fear of being labeled a racist can influence decisions ...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As a black dude that has taken quite a few organized tests, i can feel those black firefighters dilemma. It comes down to exposure. I watched Bill Mayer Politically Correct show and he made a comment about this test and said it was partially biased, it had questions like name one of the Beetles, and what does SPF stand for? I don't use sunscreen and i've never heard a beetles song but i am sure (i think) the situation is reversed for my white homies, i'm sure a vast majority have been exposed to the Beetles at some point in time and used some kind of sunscreen (i hope..skin cancer). Remember there is only one black dude on that sits on the Supreme Court, the rest are white.

Until i see those questions myself, you must be outta your mind to actually believe i'm going to rely on some white dude's word that that test wasn't racially biased.

Hell, i got a test for some ATS members to illustrate the cultural divide. Just four questions..

1- What's a byrd?
2- Have you seen a traphouse in your hood?
3- What kind of bread do ya'll push? Wonder or wheat?
4- Whats the price of the white girls where you live?

Depending on your exposure you may or may not be able answer those questions.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

I watched Bill Mayer Politically Correct show and he made a comment about this test and said it was partially biased, it had questions like name one of the Beetles, and what does SPF stand for?

I highly doubt a firefighter test would have a question about The Beatles and about sunscreen. If it did I'd suspect the Supreme Court would've questioned the legitimacy of the test, and that was never done. The test was written by a 3rd party company taking material from manuals and textbooks the firefighters use, and not on general trivia. This is just a bogus accusation from a bogus personality.

Hell, i got a test for some ATS members to illustrate the cultural divide. Just four questions..

1- What's a byrd?
2- Have you seen a traphouse in your hood?
3- What kind of bread do ya'll push? Wonder or wheat?
4- Whats the price of the white girls where you live?

Depending on your exposure you may or may not be able answer those questions.

So, you think these are the types of questions that'd be on a professional promotion exam?
Didn't know there was that much competition in the 'hood.

[edit on 7/11/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Ain't got no wife but the white be my girlfriend.

I have to agree. Can you post a link containing the Beetles question and the SPF question?

I wonder what could possibly be the reasoning for not publicly displaying the questions to the test? If it is truly unbiased you would think the company would want to display the test questions proudly to show that they are a good company to be trusted.

This would be an AWESOME time to cash in on free advertisement.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I did some digging and found a link to the company who provided the tests web page. They are called I/O Solutions. Here is the link to the page.

www.iosolutions.org...

Here is some very interesting data from a former firefighter from a different city who has an opinion and hard data on the exam.

"New Haven paid a reported $100,000 to I/O Solutions to devise a nondiscriminatory test. It wound up being 60 percent written, 40 percent oral. To judge the candidates’ oral responses, New Haven paid to bring in 30 veteran fire department managers from around the country, two-thirds of them minority."

"I was surprised to learn that devising firefighting tests is a booming industry. For example, I/O Solutions boasts that its entry-level firefighter test was chosen by the City of Chicago’s consultant over eight competitors."

Ricci’s brief gives a clue when it explains the lavish attention the firm devoted to devising New Haven’s test:

"Aware that New Haven, like other cities, routinely experiences racial disparities in outcomes of qualifying exams, IOS went to great lengths in collaboration with city officials to mitigate that impact to the greatest extent possible without compromising the integrity of the exams. It engaged in a painstaking process of job analyses, employing questionnaires, interviews, and ride-along exercises with incumbents to identify the importance and frequency of essential job tasks. "

The firefighting business doesn’t really differ much from town to town, so why all the hand-holding? The brief continues:

"There was a deliberate over representation of minority incumbents in this process. IOS identified professional texts and other source material in collaboration with NHFD Chief Grant and Assistant Chief Dumas, who is black. "

Taken from here.
www.vdare.com...

I found this information with five minutes of google searches.

HOW IN THE MOTHER HELL CAN SUPREME COURT JUDGES RULE AGAINST THIS?

The justices ruled 5-4 in this case? More than 40% of the supreme court justices did not agree that this test was fair?

WTF is going on? I am getting really scared after looking for answers. What am I going to find if I dig any deeper?

How can you rule against this evidence?

I guess since being a judge is a political position that you have to run an election to get and you rule in favor of the opinion of those who put you in office?

Justice just got *snip*.

Every time I try and stick up for my country I find just how deep the corruption rabbit hole goes. I am getting really fed up. It sickens me to think that the decision of the supreme court was not unanimous on this case. How could you possibly rule against this?

If there is something I am missing PLEASE PLEASE help me out before I blow my top. My face is red I am raging so hard.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by TurkeyBurgers]

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I could be wrong here, but I thought that the firefighters case was brought forward because, in that specific group of test takers, they were all white and they all passed but they were denied promotion because no minorities could be promoted, since none took the test...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join