It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reason People Like Obama. Why He Won.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Agree that President Obama seems very likable and is definately charismatic. I don't think that was the basis upon which he was elected, althought it didn't hurt.

I think he was elected on his platform of bringing the United States forward as a modern nation. I think he was successful in painting Senator McCain as Bush II, and I think he was brilliant and very strategic in getting the majority of the citizens excited in participating in a new age of growth and prosperity for the nation.

He was perceived as new, fresh and exciting, and as ushering in fairness from the old oppression.

We'll see. I hope it can be true.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Poeple like him because he is an extraordinary,ordinary guy. He didn't come out of the same politic generating machine as others. He managed to do what he did without a father in his life. And he documents intimate details of it in his book.
It is not easy for a black person to be successful, much less go to Harvard and Cambridge, become a lawyer, and get into politics.

He is also extremely empathetic, which people credit towards the racism he faced when he was young. Instead of becoming bitter, he decided to try to figure out what made them feel that way.

He overcome a troubled a childhood. What he does is give people hope.

The famous picture of him watching the tv on election night, when his MIL came up and put a hand on his shoulder, a reporter asked him what he was thinking. He answered to the effect of: I wondered what all this was like for her, watch she was feeling.

Here is election night and he steps outside of himself and wonders what other people are thinking.

His father was gifted in economics. Was head of economics for his region of AFrica.

He is very intelligent, intuitive, and thinks long term. Despite what the obama haters want you to think.

Fact is, if they were not so threatened, they wouldn't be so vocal.

Michelle is quite a person also. When she was being interviewed for the job to head the Chicago hospital system, her babysitter cancelled. She couldn't find another. So she took Mileah with her.

She walked into that conference room and bascially announced that first and foremost she is a mother.

She got the job. That takes kahuntas.

Nobody painted him as a messiah. That is just the left wing talking. People like him. Period. Nothing wrong with that. And people who fault others for liking their leader have some issues of their own to contend with.

And it is quite pathetic. It is not what they think he can do, it is where he is from. If he can be successful, anyone can be successful.
And the more you learn about him, the more interesting you find he is.

Funny how people are threatened by that. And start calling names. How sad.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

He is gonna have a hard time getting some ideas to pass. Americans don't like a lot of change. They balk at it.

Like the rail, people criticize him for. This is actually a pretty revolutionary, sensible, modern take on travel. And many European and Asian countries are already doing it.

I think Americans just feel the next big step is flying. But rail is pretty fast. If you put a high speed train in from New York to LA you can do it in 10 hours! ANd it is less pollution, trains hold more people, and you don't have airports. It is also much cheaper in the long run.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well, apparently the majority of Americans aren't fearful of change, as they elected President Obama by an overwhelming majority.

I agree that rail transport has the potential to be a cost-effective and ecologically sound way of travelling. I'm not certain the broken and broke U.S. economy can take it at this point, however.

After the depression of the 30's, President Roosevelt pushed his "New Deal", which was met with a lot of criticism, however I think construction of all those dams and roadways were the primary thing that put the economy back on track. Perhaps rail travel will end up being part of the "NEWnew deal". Many jobs, inproved infrastructure.

It's funny -- at least to me -- we often think of the great depression as an American thing, but it affected the global economy, much like the current financial crisis.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

You know whats funny? Since speaking about the election and Obama, I have been labeled an Obama-"tron" and supporter, and Ive been accused of a bias and full of hate because of posts such as my OP here.

I was'nt generalizing. I was giving my opinion about why so many seemed to vote for him not based on much. I, unlike many right wingers don't believe he is the anti-christ. I dont believe he is gunna run America into the ground. This thread is not about what people think of his policies or his presidencys thus far. It is about why I feel he was elected.

If you wish to debate his actions as the president, feel free to enter the countless other threads about that exact topic...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join