It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland Makes Blasphemy Illegal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Since you quoted me, I was trying to put you in the perspective of Ireland.

But no problem if you don't follow me.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
This looks to me like one of those laws that will sit in a drawer and be used further on the down the track when things get really out of control.

Hypothetically, if Atheists take over the positions of power in the world and try to outlaw religion , at least Ireland is one place people will be able to go to practice their beliefs in peace.

You have to admit, there is a crusade to do away with religion by Atheists.
This law, I think, is to pre empt what they see coming down the pike.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Well Eire had pagan faith well before Catholicism and there'll be no dragging people through the courts for believing in the old religions, Eire is subject to European human rights acts which afford pagans right to speak freely from persecution thanks to Comrade Blair in 2004.

Thing about these Christians, they think they are the only ones on the planet sometimes.

So long as they understand they, Catholics, shouldn't go around beating the crap out of pagan Celts etc, there are enough in Eire and pagans have rights too.

For some reason some even believe Celts are Christians which is funny because we have a big pantheon and our Celt goddesses and gods are nothing like what Christians believe in and is much older, strange that, there was a fusion and dilution of the old religion as christianity spread and archaeological records all over West Europe indicate this was a forced fusion and take-over.

It's all there, discernable, however much Christian diehards with academic influence want the truth about what happened a couple of thousand years ago (+ & - several centuries) obfuscated and denied.

So in Eire, who are the real blasphemers, who came and took over the established order by force and indoctrination, over writng everything to point to a one god and christ not the rich pantheon, as is in the Annals etc?

As long as they don't try criminalising those who believe in the old religion by calling Celt Pagans blasphemers!!!

Blessed be Danu!

Paxus.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by DeltaPan]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If true then this law is itself blasphemy: a government making money from religious content.

I am not religious and still I find the concept repugnant.

It is nothing more than a tax on words.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Personally think blasphemy law should be abolished and replaced by all encompassing hate crime legistlations protecting all belief systems from rhetoric diatribes inciting any group of believers of any faith to suffer harm.

Words are words, opinions are opinions, beliefs are beliefs, it is how they are used what matters and harmful intent is what should be unlawful.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Wow.And i thought there were too many laws in the states,Damn!.(its ok,im not irish)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
What this law means is that if I publish a newspaper containing a serious news story saying that YHWH is a mean, ugly, drunken thug who robs banks - and cannot produce evidence to support my allegation - I can be prosecuted for blasphemous libel.

Although I suspect the intent is more aimed at preventing anti-islamic bigots from making such claims in print about Allah.

(gods and minor deities are not covered by normal libel laws)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

(gods and minor deities are not covered by normal libel laws)

Should be though, blasphemy should not equate to christian protectionism and bullying, which it all too often is, to the excluision of any other beliefs by people who dogmatically try to enforce denial through laws which essentially enable zealots. law in religion should only be applied when actual harm is done to others, immho.

Which is why i said previous post.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
i think ireland should be more concerned about priests having sex with children.. i bet this is all part of stopping such story's from being reported...

stopping - not sopping

[edit on 11-7-2009 by fatdad]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I agree it is likely that as much as ethnographic maps shifting etc.

But whilst that crime against the person is the most reprehensible and heinous one can mention.

However emotive such crimes are, it is the Gardas' task to deal with these things as to law through courts, not for people to cite all priests as kiddy fiddlers and stir vigilantism.

It is just sad that those pondlife scum gravitate to positions of community trust and power with influence resulting in paternal/maternal and social paranoia and underlying mistrust it has transpired as so endemic in several systems of community based trust, i don't think that damage they cause will ever heal, it's now too deep a sociodynamic footprint, priests and other cleric should not be vilifed without proof though, a mass screening would help prevent suspicion not so much changes to extant blasphemy laws.

These people are individuals, networked through tthe Internet usually, who are sick, not the groups they gravitate to to commit their sickness.

[However much i may personally disagree with christian theocratic control and conditioning, i do feel clerics (they practice many elements taken from us pagans anyway) and followers of such have the right to believe what they want, i just happen to believe they are barking up the wrong tree of life, as it were.
I don't happen to think going around calling Catholic priests all paedophiles just because a minority are, something acceptable either.

To be clear as i realise some people may find me antichristian follower, if i see a nun on the street i beam a smile and say hello not give dirty looks because different, but just as they should not be so prejudiced against pagans directly, we should not prejudice them directly as individuals. Again, why i feel hate crimes against belief systems should be unlawful and blasphemy laws abolished. Everybody is entitled to what they believe in and blasphemy laws invariably equate to legalised bullying of other beliefs than christianity. ]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaPan

"All encompassing hate crime legislation"? What does that mean? What is a "hate crime"? Who gets to decide who/what constitutes a "hate crime"?

"Hate crime" laws are as bad, if not worse, for freedom of speech. Unless someone is inciting violence or harm against another group for purely racial/religious reasons then that is covered by existing law.

Preventing criticism of another group for purely racial/religious reasons should not be allowed, but "hate crime" laws stifle even talking about another group let alone criticising them.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

This looks to me like one of those laws that will sit in a drawer and be used further on the down the track when things get really out of control.

Hypothetically, if Atheists take over the positions of power in the world and try to outlaw religion , at least Ireland is one place people will be able to go to practice their beliefs in peace.

You have to admit, there is a crusade to do away with religion by Atheists.
This law, I think, is to pre empt what they see coming down the pike.

In a normal "rechtstaat" state and religion should be seperated, this world already has enough mental muslim -and christian fundamentalists[on the rise]. We dont need to protect them, we do need to protect humanists..

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If this article is correct, this is not limited to what a few are saying on this thread: That this is Christian protectionism. This apparently includes everyone. Again, if the article is true:

*Atheists can be prosecuted for saying that God is imaginary. That causes outrage.
*Pagans can be prosecuted for saying they left Christianity because God is violent and bloodthirsty, promotes genocide, and permits slavery.
*Christians can be prosecuted for saying that Allah is a moon god, or for drawing a picture of Mohammed, or for saying that Islam is a violent religion which breeds terrorists.
*Jews can be prosecuted for saying Jesus isn’t the Messiah.

This is absurd. Basically people would be prosecuted and fined simply for stating a disbelieving opinion about another religion. Christianity is not the only religion that would be protected under this law. I just have no idea if this is true or is being blown way out of proportion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
If this article is correct, this is not limited to what a few are saying on this thread: That this is Christian protectionism. This apparently includes everyone. Again, if the article is true:

*Atheists can be prosecuted for saying that God is imaginary. That causes outrage.
*Pagans can be prosecuted for saying they left Christianity because God is violent and bloodthirsty, promotes genocide, and permits slavery.
*Christians can be prosecuted for saying that Allah is a moon god, or for drawing a picture of Mohammed, or for saying that Islam is a violent religion which breeds terrorists.
*Jews can be prosecuted for saying Jesus isn’t the Messiah.

This is absurd. Basically people would be prosecuted and fined simply for stating a disbelieving opinion about another religion. Christianity is not the only religion that would be protected under this law. I just have no idea if this is true or is being blown way out of proportion.

Indeed, absurd, absolutely.

Why i say these things require a context framework where simply having an opinion and vociferating that or writing it should be differentiated to targeting somebody or a group with malicious intent or as incitement to harm.

Not reasoned argument of polarity or difference, even if things get heated

Freedom of expression is a paramount freedom in opinion, belief is expression and should not be a repressed freedom to any religion or spiritual belief system, cults can be very dangerous so i don't include cults in my opinions here, imo that's for security agencies to discern.

I mean even among any uniform religion, belief system, where everybody reads the same teachings etc, every single individual will have a varying perception of the same thing, this is because we are all individuals with different levels of understanding varied intellects with different life experiences which subjectify our understandings and perceptions etc, so on so forth.

If people are hateful towards others and deliberately try to harm, directly, that should be the crime, not having an opinion.

I don't feel the same abourt racism, that's different, all racism is unacceptable but religious and spiritual beliefs, unlawful only in a context of harming people should it be unlawful to articulate ones opinion.

Immho.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Blasphemy is already a misdemeanor here in Michigan although I don't think they ever enforce it.

/lgrnfb

[edit on 11-7-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yawn. I'm disappointed.

Surprisingly few members of the ATS theofascist cheerleading team have turned out to praise this bold, visionary move to protect religion from the atheist agenda.

Hopefully more will show up soon. I need some good entertainment.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

From the way I understand the law, it's kinda like a "hate crime" that we have the US.

It doesn't protect just Christianity, but "all god, one or more" .. meaning Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc, etc, etc.. if you insult a god and make some religious nuts unhappy, you could get fined.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
the irish governmental institutions are pretty much all about the oppression of the people. it's bad, it's getting worse and it's not going to be stopped unfortunately.

i'm not all that worried by the blasphemous libel laws, i actually suspect it might be put in place to stifle discussion of the negative possibilities attached to the lisbon treaty in the run up to the secound referendum, we're being told we need again because we got it wrong the first time.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Jesus Kitty Christ!

This is some Goddamn nonsense if I ever heard it.

Seriously, and they say that Rome never got to Ireland...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Just to reiterate for those who didn't bother to check the facts, Prisonplanet has as usual lied (seriously it's as reliable as weekly world news) and this is not about blasphemy, it's about blasphemous libel.

In other words, you can still blasphem, you just can't accuse in writing a god of something he didn't do.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join