It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland Makes Blasphemy Illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ireland Makes Blasphemy Illegal

www.prisonplanet.com

Irish atheists are horrified by new legislation making blasphemy illegal, and punishable by a 25,000-Euro fine. Christians of all stripes should be, too.

As part of a revision to defamation legislation, the Dail (Irish Parliament) passed legislation creating a new crime of blasphemy. This attack on free speech, debated for several months in Europe, has gone largely unnoticed in the American press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well this is from prisionplanet/inforwars so i don't know how serious to take it, but its got my attention.

Seems like Ireland decided to go back in time, its now illegal to be blasphemes, which just seems sorta creepy to me, but don't worry you won't be lynched or detained, just a hefty fine, which is still crazy imo.

wikipiedia says that...

Blasphemy is the use of the name of one or more gods, in a manner which is considered objectionable by a religious authority.

so make sure you watch your mouth next time you find yourself in Ireland, or your wallet's gonna get it. (if this is true)

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/10/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I agree that's an unreliable source, but they are quoting the legislation so maybe there's something to it?

The Catholic church was going to torture Galileo for not agreeing with their teachings that the Sun revolved around the earth. They executed another man for saying that:

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1610, Century Italian astronomer/mathematician/inventor Galileo Galilei used a a telescope he built to observe the solar system, and deduced that the planets orbit the sun, not the earth.

This contradicted Church teachings, and some of the clergy accused Galileo of heresy. One friar went to the Inquisition, the Church court that investigated charges of heresy, and formally accused Galileo. (In 1600, a man named Giordano Bruno was convicted of being a heretic for believing that the earth moved around the Sun, and that there were many planets throughout the universe where life existed. Bruno was burnt to death.)

Galileo was 68 years old and sick. Threatened with torture, he publicly confessed that he had been wrong to have said that the Earth moves around the Sun.

On 31 October 1992, Pope John Paul II expressed regret for how the Galileo affair was handled, and officially conceded that the Earth was not stationary, as the result of a study conducted by the Pontifical Council for Culture.

I actually thought we were making progress in 1992 when the Catholic church apologized after hundreds of years for the way they treated Galileo for not believing their dogma.

But maybe the only progress in Ireland is now you just get fined for disagreeing with the church, instead of being executed and or tortured. That's some progress, but I guess they don't have religious freedom Ireland, too bad. I guess those who do have religious freedom should appreciate it all the more after reading this.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You know, there is a great tendency among most people to want things their way. As the capacity of reason, discernment of right and wrong, inclination and common sense vary so greatly, I'm starting to believe that the best world is a world opposite to the one the Illuminati tries to fabricate. The propaganda stream pretends that there is only one right as fabled by those with media control. In other words the fantasy of a righteous cause that has been used to create a short term motivation for the masses, seems inappropriate for this world. This is a place of expressing and exhausting karma ie filth and imperfections.

My point being it seems that the best world is one that divides itself into regions/governments built around common beliefs/inclinations. A place that wishes to ban obscenity may be just as appropriate as a place that wishes to embrace homosexuals and as appropriate as another place that wishes to ban homosexuals as another place that wishes to hang homosexuals. People are simply too ignorant to live in proximity with mutual respect, modesty, and decency. The NWO wants a centralized manageable system comprised of limited variations. Just as JP Morgan hated competition because of it's economic wastefulness, the NWO wants a common belief system so that it can both manage people and limit divisiveness leading to separatism.

What the world and humanity seem to need is a more lawless world of personal freedoms where selfish interests can run wild in limited boundaries. Sad, but it seems like a much better match for the karmic needs than one of "political correctness".

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
JESUS H CHRIST!

( that's ridiculous! )

-

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Welcome to Ireland!

Home of the World's Largest Swear Jar.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I haven't found it on any major news media yet. I did find this.......

www.odinistpressservice.com...

This one is pretty much word for word what prison planet reports. I also found this one........

www.independent.ie...

Which says that the blasphemy bill was introduced in a defamation bill, and appears as if it may be a legitimate news source.

MAJOR new legislation reforming the State's libel laws and enabling judges to advise juries on the size of damages was passed in the Dáil yesterday.

The Defamation Bill, which also introduces a new crime of blasphemous libel, will come into operation after it is passed by the Seanad later this week and signed into law by President Mary McAleese.

In recent months, the stalled legislation was the subject of major debate when Justice Minister Dermot Ahern announced the introduction of a new crime of blasphemous libel. He argued that a new definition was required by the Constitution.

Under the changes, the maximum fine for blasphemy will be cut from €100,000 to €25,000.

If this is true it is a major step backwords. Why they would pass such a ridiculus bill boggles my mind.

Blasphemy...

1 a: the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b: the act of claiming the attributes of deity

2: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

www.merriam-webster.com...

You can't legislate respect for God, or for things that some people consider sacred. People have a right to believe and say whatever they want. This bill (if this is true) is just plain ludicrous. What will they do next, bring back the Spanish Inquisition ?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Wow, Ireland has stepped back into the dreaded dark ages.

This is totally ridiculous.

Do they not know that a lot of people may not actually believe in their Catholic God?

Also, making something illegal appeals to kids and teenagers - are they going to jail them?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Also, I thought there was a law passed about freedom of speech?

This is totally unbelievable and if I lived in Ireland I would be on to my MP.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Wow, Ireland has stepped back into the dreaded dark ages.

This is totally ridiculous.

Do they not know that a lot of people may not actually believe in their Catholic God?

Also, making something illegal appeals to kids and teenagers - are they going to jail them?

If they don't believe in any kind of God then why invoke his name?

For instance, if they say goddamn you. They are asking god to damn you to hell. If they don't believe in god then why would they ask him to send you to hell?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Ireland is a hugely Catholic country. But I believe that the Catholic faith is corrupt - for example, you sin, then go and confess, then sin again.

The whole thing is totally corrupt, sorry to you Roman Catholics out there, but I believe it is a church full of lies.

And doing this is even nuttier.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
WTF is this the Dark Ages? Blasphemy?

The different flavors of totalitarianism are in full march all around the world it seems. Is there no place where freedom isn't being attacked?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
What the world and humanity seem to need is a more lawless world of personal freedoms where selfish interests can run wild in limited boundaries. Sad, but it seems like a much better match for the karmic needs than one of "political correctness".
I completely agree with this.

Every single new law, no matter how trivial, that gets passed, is another nail in the coffin of freedom. Every single new law is another way to condition people that they must do what the NWO wants them to do.

Try and explain to a primitive culture why we virtually need to spend a life-time learning the laws that we should live by and they'll probably think that we're plain nuts.

Blasphemy... you've got to be kidding me.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

reply to post by jd140

Ireland is a hugely Catholic country. But I believe that the Catholic faith is corrupt - for example, you sin, then go and confess, then sin again.

The whole thing is totally corrupt, sorry to you Roman Catholics out there, but I believe it is a church full of lies.

And doing this is even nuttier.

What did that have to do with what I said in my post?

It may or may not be corrupt. I'm not Catholic so I wouldn't know.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
this video just about says it all

Jehovah ! .....Jehovah !!....Jehovah !!!...

Life of Brian - Stoning

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Under the changes, the maximum fine for blasphemy will be cut from €100,000 to €25,000.

looks to me like there already was a blasphemy law

will have to look into it

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
looks to me like there already was a blasphemy law

There was. Dating back to British rule. Blasphemy is illegal in the United Kingdom, but no one has been prosecuted since the 1950s for blasphemy. It is an arcane law that is scheduled to be repealed.

Ireland, even though a republic, have kept numerous constitutional laws from Great Britain.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I was replying to your post and explaining things about Ireland.

So excuse me.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

According to Blackstones criminal practice guide this offence in the UK can carry up to a life sentence.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

reply to post by jd140

I was replying to your post and explaining things about Ireland.

So excuse me.

No problem. I just don't see how your post was relevant to mine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join