It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-sec group hacking image warehouses affecting ATSers' posts and threads

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This is very weird. I opened this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... and saw this pretty picture of the moon and all of sudden it reloaded slowly into a different image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cdc731061d2.png[/atsimg]
(Courtesy of Schrodinger's Dog)

Also, this appeared in somebody's profile
files.abovetopsecret.com...
(Courtesy of The Utopian Penguin)

Several people saw this and thought it was a part of the OP.

What is interesting is this part:

We're a movement dedicated to the eradication of full-disclosure.

What do you make of this?

(Title courtesy of zazzafrazz
)

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Deaf Alien]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The simple reason is that imageshack has been hacked.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Also there's this:

blog.ncircle.com...

and what seems to be their mission statement:

antisec.wordpress.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
DA well done on uncovering a true naughty conspiracy hacking into Imageshack and messing with our posts as a result....
Naughty Antisec they want to hide information. Well they kinda want to protect us, but are marketing themselves by hacking Image shack.....

We stand at the cusp of a renaissance. A freely communicating humanity is closer to unity and harmony than ever before. Never before have ideas and knowledge traveled so rapidly. If not for the Internet, little would be known about the atrocities our government attempts to commit in secret. All the American people would be able to read is the party line off of cable television. With a morally bankrupt media, the Internet is the key to any sort of democratic resistance. Thanks to the Internet, we may view photos of American caskets, wounded Iraqis, and internal government memos. The priveledge of viewing and knowing these things is easily lost. We approach the final hour of the free Internet. As I write, forces within our society are beginning to impose control and restriction onto it. If these forces are not turned back, I know that within a decade that the free world’s Internet will be a mix of cable television and the supressed Chinese Internet. As a beggar, I present myself with the humility that my lowly position deserves. My plea is simple: stop publishing your vulnerabilities. We will need them.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
The simple reason is that imageshack has been hacked.

This is correct.

It is imageshack that is under attack, not ATS. This is affecting more sites than just us.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Yep, it seems a simple 'anti-sec' google search reveals that lots of folks are under attack.

I'm still trying to gleam what these folks' purpose is though ...

Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

I wonder if these are the same guys who hit the Federal computers last weekend.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I dont think so. Those guys did a DDOS attack by which they brought the website down. But these guys are using exploits and hacking the site to replace the images and spread their cause and cause chaos.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Man.......

Sounds like they are trying their best just to disrupt an image hosting site.
These guys might just have a slight problem with full disclosure from the way it sounds. They are doing something like this so that they can have the security industry to reform to what they want. Then again, what is hacking into an image hosting site going to prove?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I have no idea what imageshack has done to upset these folks. For all I know, this could be their way of introducing themselves to the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
From what I can get from the purpose they mentioned. They want all security companies to ignore all the exploits and hacks so that they can utilize it for their own goods and cause some troubles over the internet, while masking themselves as good people trying to stop companies from making money and in the end they make money from the exploits.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Mmm, I knew that this had to be somehow related to Anonymous ...

On their mission statement anti-sec refer to Bantown ...

encyclopediadramatica.com... (explicit language)

Can someone more familiar with this culture help us connect the dots please.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Yes, they did hack. And it is to which my image bellow in my sig now contains. I'll leave it up out of laziness.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Check the OP's profile in the other thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/527354ac2c71.jpg[/atsimg]

link   

Originally posted by Duzey

I have no idea what imageshack has done to upset these folks. For all I know, this could be their way of introducing themselves to the rest of us.

I thought something similar ....... an introduction of sorts.

Image shack might be a good noticeboard, with a wide cross-section of users.

link   
Here's an interesting tidbit:

For those who don't know of Astalavista, it was a popular website for "hackers" with relatively low-quality content. It started in 1994, and was one of the first search engines for computer security information. It hosted software exploits, and quickly degenerated into a forum for sharing software cracks, spyware, and virii.
security-sh3l...com-hacked.html...
Yes man, the historical security group ASTALAVISTA has been destroyed by anti-sec group. I really didn't know who anti-sec group was, but they're truly amazing. I started my personal security carrier in sites such as ASTALAVISTA where security lovers meet each others sharing information and experiences, but sincerely I don't miss the ASTALAVISTA community. According to anti-sec group :
Why has Astalavista been targeted?
Other than the fact that they are not doing any of this for the "community" but
for the money, they spread exploits for kids, claim to be a security community
(with no real sense of security on their own servers), and they charge you $6.66
per months to access a dead forum with a directory filled with public releases
and outdated / broken services.

forum.securitycadets.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

If you want to get a lot of attention from a very wide cross-section of demographics with just one big hack, imageshack is a pretty good choice. I think this is the big hello to get the rest of the internet buzzing. Which it is so mission accomplished, lulz achieved.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Duzey]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Duzey, am I the only one who smells Anonymous' hands all over this, or am I way off?

[edit on 10 Jul 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

As I mentioned earlier, these guys dont want any exploits to be out in the public, and do not want the software vendors and the security companies to fix the issues.

What I see is that this is a plan to collect the exploits for themselves and then use it for their won gains.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Agreed very good marketing people they have. Great way to get your name out there. A massive attack

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join