It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeowners stunned as 'Blunket Bobbies' climb through unlocked windows... to warn them of burglary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Homeowners stunned as 'Blunket Bobbies' climb through unlocked windows... to warn them of burglary dangers

www.dailymail.co.uk

Police community support officers have startled homeowners by wandering uninvited into their properties during a burglary crackdown.

If doors were left open, the civilian officers - nicknamed 'Blunkett's Bobbies' after the Home Secretary who created them - walked straight into homes.

On occasions, they came face-toface with residents who were pottering around at home in the seaside resort of Hove in East Sussex.

Critics claim the move is an abuse of power and could amount to trespassing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is a serious invasion of privacy. Some of the people weren't home. Some were.

Can you imagine if this had happened to you? And what if someone was doing something that was nobody else's business? I just keep reading about these stories from the Uk and it just seems to get worse and worse. But I'm also an outsider looking in so I could be wrong, but that's my perception.

Parent's can't attend sports day because of pedophiles, kids have to wear gloves and goggles when using glue, they can't make projects with egg cartons because of salmonella, and now you can't leave you window open because of the heat or leave your door unlocked if you go on a quick trip.

I never lock my door. I don't feel I should have to and that's my perogative. But it would infuriate me if I found out that the person who DID come into my home without notice because of it being "unsecure" was a person who was suppose to work within the confines of the law. I would sue them for trespassing to make a point.

Just because they claim it was for the benefit of the occupant doesn't make it right.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add link to another ATS thread.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
..... If I were a burgler and came across an occupied house I would just say I was a Blunkett Bobbie, then we would all just have some iced tea and a good laugh.

... This is butter for the criminal mastermind.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

..... If I were a burgler and came across an occupied house I would just say I was a Blunkett Bobbie, then we would all just have some iced tea and a good laugh.

I couldn't agree more, they are going to give the real criminals some very bad ideas about just claiming they are law enforcement doing a security test.

I would be pretty upset if the police trespassed like that on my property.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

I just cant stop laughing that is so good!

Your a genius, and i think this right there proves "blunket bobbies" are a complete utter mistake of gross negligence, not to mention a major screw up in judgement on the gov's part.

In America it would turn bad almost overnight, because so many old timers will just shoot em.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Well you've just brought a great humorous spin to this thread. You always do! Thanks

I wouldn't try to test out your theory though. You may possible get a shotgun to the face. (I'd add a smiley to show my sarcasm but the visuals that brings to mind aren't very funny).

It amazes me. You're a burglar going into a house with the occupants currently occupying it, you go to jail.

Your a bobbie going into a house with the occupants currently occupying it, you're just trying to teach them a lesson.

What would happen if it was just a concerned civilian? If you came home and found a note from some random stranger saying he/she just wanted to remind you of how important it was to keep doors/windows locked, but don't worry, "I locked your door and closed your windows for you after roaming through your house and (possibly) your belongings", would the police care?

One of the parts that made it even more ludicrous was this:

'We may well have been locking people out, but it's better safe than sorry and would teach them a lesson.'

It just seems that the authorties have more and more shown that they think they are above the law.

But...don't worry...it's all for your best interest.

I wonder if this is just a front for going into people's houses to either catch them in the act of something unlawful or to go through their home while no one is there?

[edit on 10-7-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Why is my head suddenly filled with visions of the Monty Python cast? Oh...wait...because this is something that would've made a great skit!

TA

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Absolutely scandalous, so police officers can enter your house legally now without a warrent.

If that was my house they entered, an I came face to face with them. I would be in jail right now. I would have decked who ever it was.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
living in america and being a gun nut- have a ccw- i protect my home. i live in a great neighborhood- never lock my doors, never take the keys out of my truck, but if you feel like just bursting into my home you will see my full fury. and you will not like it.

top topics

join