It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Threatens Lawsuit After Wisconsin Police Seize Man's Upside-Down American Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

There is no Title 36 Chapter 10. You have been had by an internet hoax. See:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Great research defcon5! I knew something about this case didn't feel right. I don't endorse disrespecting the flag, but I do endorse the First Amendment vehemently. Unpopular forms of speech and expression are as protected by the Constitution as any other.

TA

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

my lawyer has explained it to me like this:

you can burn the flag a)because [if] it is your property and you are not putting someone elses health or property on the line.

you can't fly the flag upside down because it is seen as a signal of distress, and if you are not in danger it is like.. don't yell fire in a crowded theater.. it's a false alarm that is not protected. agree with it, or not, I trust the man on the issue. and if you really think about it, it does make sense

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vatar

I don't know, the Federal Citizen Information Center (you remember that Pueblo, CO place we used to hear about on the TV...) seems to think there is...

FCIC

But hey, what do I know?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Crazy americans and their flag. Seems like worshipping false idols to me.

Obviously it's not about the flag, but the statement behind it. I guess it's unpatriotic to draw attention to the fact that your country is going to the dogs.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I think it is time for the people of that Village to clean house.
He did nothing wrong! And if anyone has a rite to do what he did it is him.
They let punks burn the flag in the street,but he can't turn it upside down because of what is going on in this country?

No wonder we are in the mess we are in. Most who say it was ok for the city to come in on his land and take it are the ones who scream the loudest when something happens to them. Think of what the message is and why it was done. And how much a government who is giving billions to banks and company's and letting the people and there stores fold by the hundreds of thousands!

Unreal!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Im very patriotic and I dont see why the uproar over it.The way the O( I wont call him president ever) is ripping our country up there are many of us that think this country is in distress and flying it that way is appropriate.I'm no fan of the ACLU but on this I agree.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I stand corrected. Wisconsin has indeed deemed the American flag fair game.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RoseD1st

The reason seems very obvious to me. Just like that couple in the Carolinas who were arrested (falsely) for this by a returning Iraq veteran police officer. If you recall that story, the issue started with the guys in the National Guard Base down the road having a problem with it, then an officer showing up with some old law from the 1800’s he printed off the internet, to arrest them. That officer was obviously based out of that National Guard Post, or friends with someone there.

A lot of your returning military vets go into…. Law Enforcement…

For years I have said that the military preference in the hiring of Police needs to be abolished, and this is just more examples of why that needs to occur.

Oh, BTW, I asked one of my LEO friends about the case of the couple above, and he told me that even though they were wrongfully arrested, they were still resisting arrest. Apparently an officer is ALLOWED to wrongfully arrest you in this country, as long as at the time he thinks (right or wrong) he has just cause to arrest you. If you know the law better then the officer and try to resist, they still count that as resisting arrest (even though you did nothing wrong), and charge you with THAT instead of the original thing that the officer was arresting you for…
WTF?

I don’t know how that is legal, but apparently it’s the way the law is…

So if someone chooses to try this stunt, and the police show up to arrest you, just quietly go with them and let the judge sort it out. If you resist you will get the pounding of your life, and they will have something to really prosecute you with once you get before a court.

I don’t advise trying this out for yourself though…
A LOT of cops apparently think that its illegal, and reason for arrest.
Remember, the officer only has to THINK something is illegal, and they are legally protected for arresting you, right or wrong.
Not worth the time, trouble, and legal expense.

[edit on 7/11/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Remember, the officer only has to THINK something is illegal, and they are legally protected for arresting you, right or wrong.

I agree that that is BS. That being the case, I guess the guy got off lightly: they could have been tased in the head.

TA

[edit on 11-7-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Doesn't matter how old the law may be, all that matter is, if it was ever repealed by the state or local government that enacted it. If a law is from the 1800's and was never repealed the it can still be enforced as long as it applies to the situation at hand. And might I add that if ANYONE does not like the U.S.A. and what the American Flag stands for then there are plenty of countries that you could choose from to go and live a quiet life. Plenty of non-stop fights and busses to take you there. I suggest you catch the first one.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Violating flag etiquette unlawful?

Viva the police state.

Originally posted by Lazyninja
Crazy Americans and their flag. Seems like worshipping false idols to me.

Obviously it's not about the flag, but the statement behind it. I guess it's unpatriotic to draw attention to the fact that your country is going to the dogs.

The voice of experience.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Agreed. And kudos to your avatar...So that is what that fuss was about at the G-8 hehehe

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't think you should be able disrespect any countries flag or anthem or national symbols (Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, etc.).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Without extreme danger it is either disrespect or a false alarm.

Wouldn't all the damage done to the Constitution of the United States of America, constitute extreme danger?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

This justifies why aclu should continue to exist.

It really is a good tool for the rare cases.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As I live in Crivitz, I can attest to the fact that the cops here are moronic at best... they don't prevent anything here, and in fact, cause more problems than what they solve.

With the flag issue, the cops in question removed the flag from the property so that the owner would not be harassed by the public. But, they have also stated that they were under order from the Marinette County sheriff's office to do so.

Now get this: there are several homes in Marinette, where the Marinette County Shefiff's Office is located, that fly the Confederate Flag. A few of those homes even fly that flag ABOVE the US flag.

Now tell me, how can this be done without having law enforcement officials acting?

What will these same village cops do when I get my Don't Tread On Me flag in the mail and fly that?

Not only is this outrageous, but it goes perfectly with the behavior and antics of this village cops to begin with. But, I will add, that this action pales compared to other things they have done (including the county sheriff).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
ATS EXCLUSIVE

A little update on this situation. Since the man in question walks his black lab past my house on a regular basis, I went ahead and asked what's been going on with everything.

It seems that he, and another person, were in the process opening an Italian restaurant which would serve alcohol. Normal enough, right? All they had to do was obtain an alcohol license.

Now, here's where things begin to get interesting...

The town board would not issue a license due to a zoning ordinance... seems that the building they were after is too close to the school. Restaurant, yes... booze, no.

Anyway, the man's business partner backed out, no permit... so, apparently, the most natural thing to do was protest all of this by flying the flag upside down due to duress.

Can there even be a case in this? This wasn't a protest on national levels, or even state level. It was just about a guy who was "irked" at the town board, and he wanted (in my opinion) attention... which he now has.

Was what the guy did "wrong"? Yes, in that it brought undue attention for selfish reasons. However, the greater evil was still the cops performing an illegal seizure or private property.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The flag code is not legislated. It's etiquette.

However, flying the flag upside down is an internationally recognized signal of distress and it should not be abused for political reasons.

It's like screaming fire in a crowded theater.

The ACLU doesn't care, though.

It's a high profile case and it involves a demented interpretation of the First Amendment.

[edit on 2009/7/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

You (and your lawyer) are right: flying the flag upside down is not technically against the law but it is an accepted symbol of distress. Hanging the flag upside down can be considered similar to yelling "Help!" out loud. If you are yelling help at 2 a.m. because your house is on fire, ok. But, it you are yelling help because your toilet is clogged, the local police do have the right to cite you for disturbing the peace. It's all a matter of condition, conduct and circumstance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join