It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Confiscate Upside-Down American Flag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Link to News Story

WAUSAU, Wis. – An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it — an Iraq war veteran — claims the officers trespassed and stole his property.

This is disgraceful. Police can now come in and take your property if you are conducting a legal protest?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.

"It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

Is it really illegal to cause disruption over there? That seems like quite a broad definition to be classed as 'illegal'.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is bull#. An upside down flag is not disrespect. People are becoming stupid.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This makes me want to get into the upside-down American flag business. There has to be growing market in it.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

ill sell you the upside down sewing machines

im sure a ton of people misconstrued the upside down flag and made a big deal about it before it was taken.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

ill sell you the upside down sewing machines

im sure a ton of people misconstrued the upside down flag and made a big deal about it before it was taken.

Nice! We'll talk turkey.

www4.law.cornell.edu...

Title 4, Chapter 1, § 8(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

I had an old "unserviceable" one that I disposed of according to the US Flag Code. It's a good thing I did it at night and out of sight.

Title 4, Chapter 1, § 8(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

i have a bunch of flags that have been destroyed over the years by the weather and all that. i cant bring myself to destroy 'em. i must have a closet full.

i wonder what situations are considered extreme enough for the upside down flag to fly legally

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am a desert sheild veteran and I fully support this display of the flag and believe more people should be doing the same. We are a country in destress. This guy went and fought for this country then came home to somthing that is starting to resemble what we were against! I understand that his reason for destress was over a buisness however they did not have the right to come on his property and take that flag. We swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemys both foriegn and domestic, and most of use are allowing Congress, the Supreme Court, Judges and locall law inforcment to take our Constitution and tear it apart. Good For Him.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
They confiscated it because of the Fourth of July Parade. They knew that if it was left flying upside down for the parade, the parade session would have gone ballistic. So they removed it, by direction of the Asst. State Attorney, for the parade then gave it back. This is not an incident where someone disrespects the national colors and then is pumbled by a military guard, and taken from their house and tortured or put to death. Now it's flying upside down 24-7, so who cares.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by uspatriot109

The law states that flying the American flag upside down may only be done in cases of extreme danger to life or property.

His only problem was that he couldn't get a liquor license. Tough titties, most people start working on getting permits before they do the work.

He was in violation of the law. Whether or not the law is just is another question.

The next day, police returned the flag.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 7/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
When the US flag is flown upside down, it means something. It means something very specific. It means that the person or group under the flag is in desperate need of immediate assistance. This is one of the ways to notify others that you are asking for help in a probably life threatening situation.

It isn't for use because the candidate you voted for didn't get elected. It isn't for use because you don't like what your city council did last night. It isn't for use because you didn't get a liquor license! (What's up with that? Lots of people don't get a liquor license right off. Most times it takes years and multiple attempts. Live with it.)

Every time a distress signal is used for a purpose other than an emergency, it becomes that much less useful when it is needed. When people see it being used in situations like this they learn to ignore it. So when I go to use it for real, it gets ignored.

The man should be ashamed, he should be asked to display the flag correctly, and if he refuses he should be made a public spectacle as a current day boy who cried wolf so others know to ignore any cries for help he may send in the future.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me what all the hype of a flag is I see them as art from the person that designed them and nothing else.

( this is for any flag not any country or company) what is the purpose of a flag it is just a symbol.

A flag is a damn symbol so what, symbols of stuff get misused, altered etc. everyday and there is no uproar against that.

Its not as if you have did something to congress or block people from their liberties

A symbol is the representation of something its not the actually something.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The should be flying the "civilian" flag not the military one. Would have been just as affective though a slightly different meaning. The "US military flag" upside down symbolized down with the military/feds and the proliferation of war. The "Civilian flag" symbolizing sovereignty of the individual and the state above the feds.

www.barefootsworld.net...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
An upside down flag is a sign of disrespect. In some countries, you can get fined & arrested for it.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
They gave it back after the parade. Whats the big deal?

They probably did him a favor, imagine all the drunk people that might have destroyed his store if they saw it.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
The should be flying the "civilian" flag not the military one. Would have been just as affective though a slightly different meaning. The "US military flag" upside down symbolized down with the military/feds and the proliferation of war. The "Civilian flag" symbolizing sovereignty of the individual and the state above the feds.

www.barefootsworld.net...

Um, well no. They shouldn't.

Considering there is no such thing as a 'civilian' US flag...

Civil Flag?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The law states that flying the American flag upside down may only be done in cases of extreme danger to life or property.

He was in violation of the law. Whether or not the law is just is another question.

Actually the Supreme Court has ruled that the flag code is not an enforcable law.

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Section 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and it is not widely enforced — indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Source

Sorry if anyone is offended that I used Wikipedia for my reference... whoever has time can go look it up in the Supreme Court rulings.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I was wondering if the four police officers who stole property from Vito Congine Jr are being charged with anything? I find it mighty strange if I went on someones property and took property I would be breaking the law. But if a police officer does it...then it is ok. I can see an inconsistency like the rest of the world. I think the police should do the right thing and charge them with theft.

Consulting with the Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey to try to justify the stealing of an American flag is disgusting. I love America and the American flag.

Returning stolen property by the criminals(officers in question) the next day does not make the offenses (theft and trespassing) go away. Just like if I went to Walmart and stole a big screen tv to watch the super bowl, and then brought it back the next day. Walmart could get me for shoplifting.

An offense occurred. You can't just rob a bank and then return the money. If you do not agree, then I would like to go into your house and take of some of your stuff. As I see theft is not illegal in your town. I promise to return the stuff the next day.

I know the B.S. response is going to be like from Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula, said" "It is illegal to cause a disruption." What distruption. Did one happen? No. You can't anticipate a riot.....or Murders like in the Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report".

Guess what. The Police are a representative of the law and not the law. Let me repeat that. The police are a representative of the law and not the law. I know some will discount that last sentence. This is why lots of people in America do not trust police. In this case police can steal and hide behind the law they are suppose to represent. And the next day write a speeding ticket. There is no legitimacy there. The crossing of the blue line will not happen. No one will be a man and take responsibility for there actions here is my guess. The U.S. constitution means nothing in Marinette County. I wonder why I ever was in the military to protect police officers to steal things.

I don't agree with Vito Congine flying the American flag upside down. But it is his right. The only thing worse than flying the American flag upside down is stealing an American flag.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

He made the mistake of spending thousands of dollars on a business that he wont be able to run, he put his flag upside down as is the custom when your property is in danger. I dont think you can make the conclusion whether or not his property was in danger. Sure he made a mistake, but his mistake is not in question, people dont put their flags upside down for that, they put it upside down when their property or life is in danger. I think it's pretty clear his property was in danger due to business mistakes he made.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This guys mistake was that he used a real flag. Let this be a lesson to the rest of us. If you want to do the same, use a flag that's missing one star and one stripe, then it won't be an official flag of the USA, and thus no law is broken. And then if the cops try to take it, you can go get your rifle and protect your property from theft by a bunch of rouge cops gone bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join