It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmaker: Panetta terminated secret program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Lawmaker: Panetta terminated secret program

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - CIA Director Leon Panetta has terminated a "very serious" covert program the spy agency kept secret from Congress for eight years, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, a House Intelligence subcommittee chairwoman, said Friday.

Schakowsky is pressing for an immediate committee investigation of the classified program, which has not been described publicly. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has said he is considering an investigation.

"The program is a very, very serious program and certainly deserved a serious debate at the time and through th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
For all those fans of Jason Bourne or Enemy of the State - It's interesting the kind of autonomy the various agencies are given, or deign upon themselves to have, and what they do with it.

Perhaps related to my other recent article about Bush's massive intelligence gathering operation - Again, it'll be interesting to find just what information was being vacuumed, and how it was being used. Particularly without true government over site.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm sure this is only one a multitude of secret programs with out government over site. It will be interesting to see how this panns out. Nice find.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I doubt that it’s the intelligence gathering that’s being ended, if in fact anything is. Perhaps it’s Cheney’s assassination squad?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I hate to say it but I don't believe a word of it, it's all for show. Even if they shut one down it was because it wasn't needed anymore.

Obama is shutting all the evil Bush secret programs down. We don't need to worry about secret programs anymore because he's on top of it.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Iblis

This new article really shows what a farce is for the CIA to say they don't do this kind of thing.

Just today for example, I was on this site, trying to find exact information about the CIA's role (yeah right)

www.umsl.edu...

Who decides when CIA should participate in covert actions, and why?

Only the president can direct the CIA to undertake a covert action. Such actions usually are recommended by the National Security Council (NSC). Covert actions are considered when the NSC judges that US foreign policy objectives may not be fully realized by normal diplomatic means and when military action is deemed to be too extreme an option. Therefore, the Agency may be directed to conduct a special activity abroad in support of foreign policy where the role of the US Government is neither apparent nor publicly acknowledged. Once tasked, the Director of Central Intelligence must notify the intelligence oversight committees of the Congress.

Obviously congress wasn't informed. I wonder if the then president was even informed about this? And if the director of the CIA has only just shut this thing down, how come he didn't know about it sooner?

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The bureaucracy exists to conceal any intelligence activity they desire.

There probably are programs out there that our own children will never learn of. The issue of 'state secrets' is becoming a more distressing aspect of our government ever since the world of commerce completed infiltrating her halls back in 1913.

Now politicians create 'political' secrets for 'government' activities. The lack of oversight is intentional and programmatic.

These would-be 'world' leaders sure are a cagey bunch! Everything would be secret if they had their way.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The way I read it under national security it wasn't to protect the citizen but to cover up another embarrassment.

I'm betting it was to conceal that Osama was captured or dead, to hide the on going mind control research being conducted to fuel the war against oil. That includes the death of on medical doctor in Bagdad after he recruited a married women to become a maryter. Its the same old covert dance to continue growing poppies over in Afgahistan.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Secret CIA Program not disclosed to Congress is a revamped version of the old MKDELTA program. New technology came down the pipe in 1988 that caused George H.W. Bush to revive the old 1960's era program. The program is currently funded through Sept. 30, 2011 using $580 million of Dept. of Veterans Affairs funding appropriated for prosthetic limbs. The funding is either misappropriated in secret or as part of the classified annex to the Intelligence Authorization Act 2010. SeeLarson Media

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The CIA has more tentacles than we could probably fathom right now. I think intelligence agencies have their own little worlds that probably resemble a movie like Bourne Supremacy as opposed to reality...and I am believing more and more that these people raise money through many ways other than government funding. Either be it the black market or perhaps they even have trading desks on the exchanges. There is some way they are making their money to fund their vast networks...

[edit on 25-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
The CIA has more tentacles than we could probably fathom right now. I think intelligence agencies have their own little worlds that probably resemble a movie like Bourne Supremacy as opposed to reality...and I am believing more and more that these people raise money through many ways other than government funding. Either be it the black market or perhaps they even have trading desks on the exchanges. There is some way they are making their money to fund their vast networks...

[edit on 25-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

Yeah, it’s called drug and gun running. Iran-Contra ring a bell? Just do a search on CIA-drugs and you’ll have weeks of reading material.

new topics

top topics

join