Different from SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence), CETI is the attempt to Communicate with Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
A number of CETI signals have been sent from Earth using radio waves and lasers. Also, many attempts have been made using physic telepathy and groups
of people attempting to combine their energy in an effort to communicate with aliens.
On November 17, 1974 the Arecibo Radio Telescope transmitted a message on a very narrow beam to an area 25,000 light years away called the Globular
Star Cluster M13.
The signal, transmitted at 2380 megahertz with a duration of 169 seconds, delivered an effective power of 3 trillion watts, the strongest man-made
signal ever sent. This was the first ever attempt by humans to direct a specific message to another star in hopes of contacting other intelligent life
The message sent in binary code included the following:
1. The numbers one through ten.
2. Atomic numbers of elements hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphorus, which make up deoxyribonucleic acid.
3. The formulas for the sugars and bases in the nucleotides of DNA.
4. The number of nucleotides in DNA, and a graphic of the double helix structure of DNA.
5. A graphic figure of a man, the dimension of an average man, and the human population of Earth.
6. A graphic of Earth's solar system.
7. A graphic of the Arecibo radio telescope and the dimension (the physical diameter) of the transmitting antenna dish.
The message will take 25,000 years to reach the cluster of stars that the signal was sent to, but it will also take a further 25,000 years for a
message to be returned if any civilization receives it.
Though considered by most to be a hoax, in 2001 an apparent reply to the signal was left in the style of a crop formation in a field near the
Chilbolton Radio Telescope in the U.K., another telescope involved in SETI observations. One part of the debate involves the fact that the reply was
27 years after the signal was sent and enough time hasn't past for the signal to reach its intended target.
ATS Discussion Threads
Was This A Message From Extraterrestrials