It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago has its coolest July 8 in 118 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Chicago has its coolest July 8 in 118 years

www.chicagotribune.com

For the 12th time this meteorological summer (since June 1), daytime highs failed to reach 70 degrees Wednesday. Only one other year in the past half century has hosted so many sub-70-degree days up to this point in a summer season -- 1969, when 14 such days occurred.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I just returned from a wonderful Independence Day weekend Chicago trip to visit with some friends and family. I am a Chicago native and remember having awful winters, but gorgeous summers (especially summer nights).

But it didn't take long for my wife and I to question--what the heck is going on with the weather?

It was freezing! (Freezing is a relative summer term...it hadn't broke 59 degrees the first night we were there.)

The entire trip we were there, our highest temperature experienced was 79 degrees. Granted, it was perfect weather for Naperville's RibFest...but what the heck?!!?

Not sure what to make of it all. Fluke?

Either way, makes me think of the song by Lovin' Spoonful, "Hot Town."

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2009 by MOFreemason]

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You are so lucky is not funny, we are stewing in the south so far June has been the hottest.

It is steaming here !!!!!!!

Anyway you know that global warming doesn't' mean that is going to be hot all the time, it means that eventually the earth temperatures will become unstable.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's been far colder here in the north east as well, last night I had to grab a jacket to go out. It's July and I'm wearing a winter jacket! We're experiencing 40 degree temperature swings every couple days, no wonder the pavements crumbling. The planet needs to make up it's mind, is it going to be "global warming" or "nuclear winter"? I mean I love the seasons and all, I just don't want to experience them all in the same week!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You are so lucky is not funny, we are stewing in the south so far June has been the hottest.

Anyway you know that global warming doesn't' mean that is going to be hot all the time, it means that eventually the earth temperatures will become unstable.

Yeah, I like to forget about that whole "global warming thing means hot/cold temps here-and-there." ; )

My wife and I live in Kansas City now. It's in the typical 90-degree range here.

Amazing what a difference of 500+ miles can do, eh?!!?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The earth is a dynamic whole. Just because one location has record lows for 1/12 of the year, doesn't mean that this represents the state of the Earth. For instance, the forecast says a high of 103 here in Dallas, Texas. While not a record high, it's not all too cool here either.

You just can't really extrapolate from too little of information like that. If you were to take 20+ locations across the globe for a season, perhaps you would have some solid data, but this doesn't really tell you much.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I live in the South(northern Arkansas, mississppi delta) and we have had sweltering temps since mid-May. Since the temps in the North have been much cooler, I'm just waiting for them to move South. The world temps have been trending down for the last several years, which belies "global warming." Now the watch word is "Global climate change," which is just a way to get around that we are actually cooling down, and that this is a normal cycle of the planet's climate. Of course, the government has to get involved. I'm afraid we are about to learn a terrible lesson. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I live in the deep south, and it has been over 100 degrees approximatly 20 times this summer. It's supposed to get 104 today (9 degrees above average)! Don't get me wrong, I do not believe it is due to manmade global warming, but you cannot say it is cooling because of your local temperature.

-E-

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Aren't we overdue for another ice age? I read somewhere the historical records indicate ice ages happen every so often and based on that cycle the next one could be starting any time now.

Maybe that and the global warming will cancel each other out?

I agree we have to look at planetary wide temperatures, and ocean temps are at least as critical as land temps for determining global temperature status, because the oceans store a lot of thermal energy.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have been hearing about weird temperature swings, in as far as the northwest of mexico's baja, and experiencing first hand both there and in the north east of the usa.

In global warming, when the earth heats up, ice melt occurs at the poles. When the poles are significantly melted, it will destabilize weather, and some places will be colder due to more previously frozen water hitting the weather systems, and being sucked up into the jet stream, and natural oceanic currents.

This is mother nature's work to rebalance, and is not a product of the end of the earth via death by global collapse of nature.

How arrogant we are to think we will outdo mother nature, and save her, when it is she who will save herself, in order for the next era to continue with new life forms.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

No Marg, that is NATURAL Climate Change. If CO2 was the real cause of the WARMING, and the cause for the Climate Change, it should be hotter, not cooler.

In the northern regions we are experiencing a very cool winter, and as a member in South Africa said, even they are having a COOL period, abnormal for South Africa.

What has been happening is called Climate Change, and it is a natural phenomenon.

The regions closer to the Ecuator, are closer to the Sun, and hence are hotter than the rest of the planet. Anyone living close to warmer oceans, should experience warmer weather, and climate.

Remember that the surface of the Earth is 70% -75% covered by water, and our oceans are the largest storage of heat the planet has.

During times of high solar activity the oceans store extra heat, which is "slowly" released into the atmosphere. If the Sun's activity continues to be as low as it has been for the past 2-3 years, we will find ourselves with cooler, and cooler temperatures until we get to another LIA (Little Ice Age). That is unless the Sun's activity picks up.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

If I am not mistaken the last, "mini ice age" was through the colonization of the west until the war of Independence time.

US was experiencing some kind of colder than usual weather in the northern states.

I wonder if that have some kind of cycle.

Anyway I guess you are right, global warming definition is more often than not misinterpreted like I did.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I'm from that area their weather cycles through the usual 4 seasons, it's fairly predictable. Summer starts in may by august the nights are hot with 100% humidity.

Lake Michigan is the driving force behind the weather. The warm waters and high humidity keeps temps high in summer even at night. I'm wondering if the water temps for lake Michigan are lower?

I'm in Colorado now and the weather changes every year so I don't give the weather too much thought although it's been the rainiest summer yet.

I went to a school in the Chicago area that was built with central air in mind but they ran out of funds. If the temps reached 85 or more we were let out of school because windows didn't open. There were always quite a few free days in May. If it was 83/84 we stayed put so we watched the temps closely so did the teachers.

Idk this does sound unusual the only time it would get cool in summer is when a north wind would blow down from Canada across the lake. That colder air would hit the hot air over the Lake and cause tornadoes. The lake keeps weather consistently hot in summer and cold in winter. Unless you've seen them you can't appreciate the size of the great lakes they do influence weather. Imo, if you are noticing weather changes there's something going on with the lake.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 2shores

The poles have been more free of ice than they are now several times in the past. It is part of the natural phenomenon called "Climate Change". the climate is ALWAYS changing, it is never static, and research by the most knowledgable oceanographer indicated that the so called Global Warming would only strengthen hurricanes by 1% -2% at the most, which is about 1-2 mph more in a hurricane with 100 mph winds.

BTW, there have been research released in 2008 which indicated that surface and air warming was being caused by ocean warming.

Oceanic Influences on Recent Continental Warming
GILBERT P. COMPO
PRASHANT D. SARDESHMUKH
Climate Diagnostics Center,
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences,
University of Colorado, and
Physical Sciences Division, Earth System Research Laboratory,
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
325 Broadway R/PSD1
Boulder CO 80305-3328
compo@colorado.edu
(303) 497-6115
(303) 497-6449

Citation:
Compo, G.P., and P.D. Sardeshmukh, 2008: Oceanic influences on recent continental warming. Climate
Dynamics, doi: 10.1007/s00382-008-0448-9.
This article is published by Springer-Verlag. This author-created version is distributed courtesy of Springer-Verlag.
The original publication is available from www.springerlink.com at
www.springerlink.com...

Abstract
Evidence is presented that the recent worldwide land warming has occurred largely in response to a worldwide warming of the oceans rather than as a direct response to increasing greenhouse gases (GHGs) over land.

Atmospheric model simulations of the last half-century with prescribed observed ocean temperature changes, but without prescribed GHG changes, account for most of the land warming. The oceanic influence has occurred through hydrodynamic-radiative teleconnections, primarily by moistening and warming the air over land and increasing the downward longwave radiation at the surface. The oceans may themselves have warmed from a combination of natural and anthropogenic influences.

www.cdc.noaa.gov...

On-line Publication Documentation System for Stockholm University
Full DescriptionUpdate record

Publication type: Article in journal (Reviewed scientific)
Author: Grudd, H (Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology)
Title: Torneträsk tree-ring width and density ad 500–2004: a test of climatic sensitivity and a new 1500-year reconstruction of north Fennoscandian summers
In: Climate Dynamics
Publisher: Springer, Berlin / Heidelberg
Volume: 31
Pages: 843-857
Year: 2008
Available: 2009-01-30
ISSN: 1432-0894
Department: Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology
Language: English [en]
Subject: Physical geography, Climatology
Abstract: This paper presents updated tree-ring width (TRW) and maximum density (MXD) from Torneträsk in northern Sweden, now covering the period ad 500–2004. By including data from relatively young trees for the most recent period, a previously noted decline in recent MXD is eliminated. Non-climatological growth trends in the data are removed using Regional Curve Standardization (RCS), thus producing TRW and MXD chronologies with preserved low-frequency variability. The chronologies are calibrated using local and regional instrumental climate records. A bootstrapped response function analysis using regional climate data shows that tree growth is forced by April–August temperatures and that the regression weights for MXD are much stronger than for TRW. The robustness of the reconstruction equation is verified by independent temperature data and shows that 63–64% of the instrumental inter-annual variation is captured by the tree-ring data. This is a significant improvement compared to previously published reconstructions based on tree-ring data from Torneträsk. A divergence phenomenon around ad 1800, expressed as an increase in TRW that is not paralleled by temperature and MXD, is most likely an effect of major changes in the density of the pine population at this northern tree-line site. The bias introduced by this TRW phenomenon is assessed by producing a summer temperature reconstruction based on MXD exclusively. The new data show generally higher temperature estimates than previous reconstructions based on Torneträsk tree-ring data. The late-twentieth century, however, is not exceptionally warm in the new record: On decadal-to-centennial timescales, periods around ad 750, 1000, 1400, and 1750 were equally warm, or warmer. The 200-year long warm period centered on ad 1000 was significantly warmer than the late-twentieth century (p < 0.05) and is supported by other local and regional paleoclimate data. The new tree-ring evidence from Torneträsk suggests that this “Medieval Warm Period” in northern Fennoscandia was much warmer than previously recognized.

www.diva-portal.org...

At first like most people did, I actually bought into the claims that mankind was responsible for Climate Change, but i decided to look at the evidence, and instead found evidence that the Climate Changes we have been undergoing are natural, and there is no evidence except for flawed computer models that some scientists are using to back their claims on how much warming is caused by CO2.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The Little Ice Age occurred around the 16th to about the middle of the 19th century. But is was colder in some years than others. The colder years coincide with a deep Solar minimum which also coincide with other periods of cool/cold climate in which there were similar low solar activity.

People should be asking for warming, because during warm periods the Earth, humans and most species thrive, meanwhile during cold periods the entire Earth suffers alongside with humans and most other species.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Exactly. I therefore conclude that global warming is a scam, being used for political reasons. Things like seizing control of industry, global UN taxes etc. come to mind.

new topics

top topics

join