It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate Retailers: SEARS Starts Christmas Sales -- In July!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Desperate Retailers: SEARS Starts Christmas Sales -- In July!

www.myfoxny.com

How early is too early for Christmas marketing? Apparently it's not July for Sears Holdings Company.

The company owns Sears and Kmart. It has opened an online holiday store and Christmas boutiques at hundreds of stores.

The company hopes to nudge consumers into starting their holiday shopping early and use the retailer's lay-a-way plan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Any other year, I'm usually pissed at the tv and screaming for seeing a Christmas advertisement before Halloween even comes and goes.

But this year, I'm left wondering two questions regarding Christmas advertising and sales that begin in the summer months:
1. Is this actually a good thing for the economy?
2. Is this good/bad for society? Is there a social impact?

2. Does

www.myfoxny.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
No...it's not a good sign for the economy and it's not good for society, particularly the children who don't know better. It's sad really.

It makes people numb...desensitizes them and devalues the true meaning of the season even more. Retailers have done enough damage there already.

Frankly, I'm surprised they'd even go there rather than try to find more creative ways to drum up business. But I guess this subconsciously goes to just how much stock they do put in the christmas season and how much is at stake there.

No. It's what you said. Desperation.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
oh god, not christmas again. I didnt even know what to ask for 7 months ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Retailers have done this before, this isn't anything new.

Christmas in July sales have been a part of SEARS for a long time.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The retail industry is the next bubble to burst. Last year's Christmas sales were below average probably due to the financial markets hullaballoo.

People in retail are very worried with good reason. People are not spending which will cause the retail sector to collapse unless marketing and advertising can convince enough of us that there is nothing to worry about.

Once the retail bubble bursts, you can expect disaster to rapidly ensue.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I hate to see items in stores for Christmas in October, so this is really pushing it in my opinion, even if it's for online shopping now, it should be interesting to see when the items show up in the stores.

It does however remind me to start shopping a little early this year since money is tight, and I have 7 granddchildren to shop for. I think I will get a gift or so a month until Christmas.

While I won't use lay-away, it's a reminder to stay on budget instead of waiting to drop a lot of dough at one time.

Retailers are probably hoping a few people will have my mindset!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I really dont have a problem with it. Being strapped for cash, there is no way I can do my shopping last minute this year. Im fixing to start my shopping here pretty quick myself.

As for loosing the meaning of the season.....for stores that meaning has always been money. Your fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
We have a store here in Ohio that is all Christmas all year long. I always wondered how they stay in business but it hasn't hurt Christmas

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This isnt anything new, as weird as it is..i work in retail. An assitatn manager told me last year, years ago, like 20 now, he was working for a macys...they got an early xmas delivery in.This was near southwest CT. SO! They got a 4 foot tall singing and dancing santa in. They set it up as you walk in....it was late july! They all laughed about it lol.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
On another note....last year, around mid august, i was at my local Home DEpot. Inback of the store, jsut after the pet section..they had a half empty area. I joke you not..they had last years xams ornaments spread all over the shelves collectinig dust! I was in awe, and laughed it off.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Christmas in July has been a part of many retail stores and businesses for a long time...I don't know what the big deal is.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I hate how it is pushed at us and what it has become. I do like the lights and trees though and the general spirit....ohh yeah don't forget the food.

new topics

top topics

join