It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Southerners so Fat?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

I am a southerner as well thank you very much which is why I can say that.

I too am genuinely friendly but that doesn't change the fact that southern charm often hides southern hostility as well.

I have found up north it they don't like you they make no bones about it which I find far more refreshing.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Who cares? People have the fundamental right to eat and exercise as much or little as they choose.

I think the percent of obese/overweight senators is probably higher than any state in the south east. Most of the ones I see are fat.

If they didn't pay for Medicaid/Care they wouldn't care how many people were fat. I, being young skinny and healthy, should not pay taxes so an old fat person can get a hip replacement. Yet, 37% of my paychecks pay for stuff like that.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

but then again, its probably jsut easier to sit back with some bacon grase, buttered corn bread, deeep fried turkey, grits and lard, and some sweet sweet chtilins. or w.e. it is you are forcing down your foodhole these days.

Dam, now you went and made me hungry!!

By the way, for the rest of your post, Race Horses love to......Race! Fighting cocks love to....fight! 2500lb steers standing around eating grass make a lot of.....Steaks!

As I read somewhere else this week. I am a vegetarian also, but I find it more efficient to let the cow eat 10lbs of grass, and I'll eat the 1lb steak to get all the nutrients. My anatomy is not correct for eating grass all day!

It is not cruel to kill and eat something. It is certainly cruel to inject mice with 10,000x the normal dose of sunscreen, but it is not cruel to kill something and eat it. It is perfectly natural, it happens in the animal and plant world all the time, it is the circle of life. So don't ride your vegetarian lifestyle horse too high in the saddle. The horse doesn't like it and neither do we!

[edit on 13-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
My boyfriend is a Southerner. It's true that Walmart is their only real supermarket. BUT they also have a farmer's market with more fresh fruits and veggies than I can get around here.

Oh, no one in his family is obese.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

but then again, its probably jsut easier to sit back with some bacon grase, buttered corn bread, deeep fried turkey, grits and lard, and some sweet sweet chtilins. or w.e. it is you are forcing down your foodhole these days.

Dam, now you went and made me hungry!!

By the way, for the rest of your post, Race Horses love to......Race! Fighting cocks love to....fight! 2500lb steers standing around eating grass make a lot of.....Steaks!

As I read somewhere else this week. I am a vegetarian also, but I find it more efficient to let the cow eat 10lbs of grass, and I'll eat the 1lb steak to get all the nutrients. My anatomy is not correct for eating grass all day!

It is not cruel to kill and eat something. It is certainly cruel to inject mice with 10,000x the normal dose of sunscreen, but it is not cruel to kill something and eat it. It is perfectly natural, it happens in the animal and plant world all the time, it is the circle of life. So don't ride your vegetarian lifestyle horse too high in the saddle. The horse doesn't like it and neither do we!

[edit on 13-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

about the only thing i beleive is teh fact its cruel to inject mice with suncreeen. The rest of this post is nonsense. its a proven fact producing meat eats up many many many more times teh amount of resources it does to produce , uhhh produce. ncie try though.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
also, Mississsippi was just named teh fattest state again, 5 years ina row.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I must take objection with your observation that obesity in the south is based on a culture of laziness and overindulgence. You say you "visited" the south. I have lived here for all of my 59 years. I have been working since I was 16 and trust me when I tell you my co-workers and I are NOT lazy. We work in healthcare, and if you think that easy, I've got some beachfront property in Nevada I want to sell. (I've been a nurse, emt, and paramedic, though not necessarily in that order, for 39 years. So don't call us lazy.) I could take you to task on some other things on that issue but I want.
Overindulgence? I rarely get lunch, and when I do, I eat it on the run. Am I saying that we don't overindulge when it comes to food? Nope. We do, just as I'm sure everyone else in other parts of the country do, when they get the opportunity. I usaually eat a light evening meal, do some work around the house, and go to bed. I am overweight. I admit it. But you make it sound like we are sitting down to a banquet worthy of Henry IIIV every day, twice a day.
Before you judge us, do more than "visit." Come down here and live.
On second thought, don't. You are most likely one of those yankees that is always telling us how we should do it. Well, here in the south, in spite of our hospitality, we are not afraid to tell you "We don't give a damn how ya'll do it up Nawth!"

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hello to all you wonderful sounding Southerners from Australia! My Aunty and Uncle in law live in South Carolina and I can't wait until my fiance and I can go over to visit them. You all sound like you are a hoot and a half! I think I am going to have fun trying out your foods and enjoying what sounds like really great hospitality.

But, can someone please explain what biscuits and gravy is?? All I can imagine when you say this is dipping a tim-tam into roast meat gravy... YUCK! lol I am sure this is not the case however!

Perhaps I should bring with me some Vegemite for you guys to try! It really is delicious!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Same reason northerners are so dumb. We have to drive around a lot more because of the heat. The distances are longer which means you definelty need a car. Look at houston texas for example. In the summer, no one is gonna leave the air conditioning of the house. No one is gonna walk. It is the car.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

You'll love our Biscuits and Gravy! Don't get it from any franchise restaurant like Denny's or IHOP. Make sure and go to a good local spot!

I'm not sure, but I think our biscuits are a little lighter and flakier than tim tams. The gravy is white sausage gravy with salt and pepper. The more sausage and sausage grease the better. The biscuits are usually torn in half and the gravy poured over them!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
All of the local spots within 50 miles of where I live have gone out of business..... Most everyone that were regular customers of these places have either had to go on disability for cardiovascular disease or have died from it.....I have noticed that the few that didn't get that bad off have slimmed down and almost look normal.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join