It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Southerners so Fat?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by grapesofraft

By the way , I live in the deep south and I couldn't live without my grits with lots of cheese and butter, fried eggs, lots of bacon and fresh baked big biscuits EVERY morning.

My favorite is southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter and pepper in them and a great big bowl of delicious greens and hot cornbread.

For a late snack , nothing is better than a bowl of leftover cornbread with sweet ice cold buttermilk.

and there you hate it.
remind me to never travel south.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I live in the south and have a lot of family here too. I'm in my mid-40's, and it wasn't until I was a teenager that many of my relatives got running water, and it wasn't just my relatives but many folk in the community.

What's that got to do with obesity? Well, my relatives were dirt poor and they did a lot of hard work. They didn't have toilets; they used pots and/or outhouses. They didn't have water at their disposal; they had to go get it from the well. They didn't have much money, but they did a lot of hard, physical labor...workin' the tobacco fields, puttin' up hay, scrubbing laundry by hand (no washing machines or laundry mats), hoeing their gardens, tending to their gardens, picking the vegetables and fruits, preserving and canning,

And kids, when they did have time to play after all the chores were done, played outside. There was no sittin' around inside watchin' TV 'cause my relatives didn't have TV. Kids would play ball, catch, walk to the fishin' hole, play in the creeks and rivers, and go frog giggin' at night with the men folk.

Back in my dad's day, they had to sometimes walk miles just for a bucket of water, walk miles to school, walk to the general store, and well...walk everywhere. Many times when my dad was growin' up, there just wasn't much food to go around. They also had no refrigeration. They ate a lot of beans with bacon fat if they had it, cornbread, biscuits and gravy, and wild polk stalks and greens with hot oil poured over it. The rich foods were needed to give them energy for all the hard work they were doing.

Anyway, I think what happened is that many Southerners continue to eat all that good home cookin' which is packed with energy, but they don't burn it off the way they used to. Instead of walkin' everywhere, they're driving. The energy the women burned scrubbin' the clothes by hand isn't being burned anymore since they have washin' machines.

There's a lot more time spent sitting...either by around watchin' TV, going 4-wheelin', goin' fishin', sittin' in the front of the computer, and yackin' on the phone.

I've seen it in my own family. My grandmother who used to be small became morbidly obese as life changed and became easier. My aunts, uncles, cousins...most all of them all got fat too.

I really think it's because they continue to cook and eat all that rich food that they did when they were out walkin' and workin' all day, except now they're doing mostly a lot of sittin' around...and drivin' to fast food joints.

My folks are normal size...and so am I. I think it's because we all eat very healthy and are very active. We also don't eat "country cookin" every day either...only occasionally.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

I hate it?
Quite the opposite.

Hope you never visit but if you change your mind we'll welcome you with some nice Southern Hospitality.
Do you like grits?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Fried foods, sodas, fast food, no excercise, lots of sweets, beer, and depression. Everyone I know back in NC thats overweight can say this about themselves. I used to live that life as well. McDees does a buttload of business in my hometown. 5 OF THEM in a town with 60k pop. Theres basically the same amount of BKs and Hardees too. 2 KFCs and about 2 dozen Mom n Pop burger joints. And in case no one noticed in the last 8 months it has been cheaper for a family to eat out than buy groceries. I do the cooking here since I no longer care for spit or pubes in my food and groceries are costing us too much. I eat ramen noodles 3 or 4 times a week so that my fiance and her son can eat good. Plus lately I have started to lose my desire to eat. Ever since I stopped buying manufactured and packaged foods. Maybe there really is something added to food to make you hungrier. Stupid considering they say Earth cannot sustain us much longer. Oh pot smoking is another reason for obesity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I never ate at an establishment in Texas that served sweet tea until I came to East Texas about 15 years ago and it was a new thing here then.... I never heard of such a thing on the High Plains in the DFW area or Central or South Texas areas or any other place I'd travelled through out the South..... I do remember lower income people that added cups of sugar to their tea before it cooled but they were from places like Ohio, West Virginia, and Indiana and what was known as Yankees or hill billies and had rotted teeth and were generally overweight.... It may be hard for non Texans to believe but East Texas has very much in common with the Deep South..... Fat people are the norm here, the only people that aren't are transplants or ex convicts released from the prison system that provides most of the areas jobs followed by Wal-Mart.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The article in the OP makes no sense at all. I live as far south as you can get in the states "S Florida", and Florida is known to be one of the fittest states in the US. AND the hottest! If anything not only are Floridians more active, but since it is so hot, we sweat off the pounds...Make sense?

But,
Every time I drive "UP" to Georgia, or Alabama I see nothing but fat people everywhere. I took several trips up to Valdosta, GA just a few months ago, and it seemed like everyone I saw up there was not only fat, but extremely huge. So the article might mean the south, but not the deepest of the south.

Stealth

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Has someone done a study on Buffalo? How about Chicago? Philly?

Just sayin'!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by grapesofraft

By the way , I live in the deep south and I couldn't live without my grits with lots of cheese and butter, fried eggs, lots of bacon and fresh baked big biscuits EVERY morning.

My favorite is southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter and pepper in them and a great big bowl of delicious greens and hot cornbread.

For a late snack , nothing is better than a bowl of leftover cornbread with sweet ice cold buttermilk.

and there you hate it.
remind me to never travel south.

And there you have it.
No manners in the north.....

You act "mightier than thou" .... but I guarantee you have obesity in your family somewhere... of course everyone does.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Actually I don't .
We eat in moderation and have active lifestyles.

I don't know why you said I act "mightier than Thou" . I'm just speaking the truth as I know it for me.

And manners?

Every single Northener that I HAVE EVER MET are the rudest people in this country and that includes my husband and his entire family.
Just being truthful, thats all.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Squash casserole, green bean casserole, zuchini casserole, chicken casserole,brocoli casserol, just a few of the vegetable dishes that are served instead of steamed or boiled veggies. I love them all. I don't eat many fried foods, only fish or shrimp. I don't eat fast food at all. I grew up on pinto beans and cole slaw, with cornbread, but I don't eat bread with meals now. I think I eat pretty healthy, for a Georgia peach, but I am an exception, most people I know eat fried this and fried that, tons of biscuits and gravy ( a staple breakfast in the south) tons of cornbread, fatty pork dishes, and lots and lots of butter ( have you ever watched Paula Dean?)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthsurfer

Jeez, come on! Not everyone in GA/ALA is huge. For the most part I see more people who could use a few pounds, much more than I see those who are 'huge'. I am not 'huge', I have a brother who is overweight, that happened while he was stationed in California! There are many beautiful women and men here, active, healthy people, I promise more than there are 'huge' people!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yankees can be called rude and are somewhat annoying, but no more so than a syrupy sweet "professional" southerner or Texan that will tell you what you want to hear while setting you up to be robbed blind.....I think Yankees are aren't so much rude as they are direct and to the point, even blunt..... They are quick to say yes or no instead of "well darlin' this or that" when the person of he Southern persuasion can't just come out and say that you won't be able to count on them.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Ahaha, I just read the title and it made me laugh
I met a group of Texans in Japan and most of them were fat (daughter hot though)

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, cajun. bbq.
FRIED!! cereal lol. I'm hungry.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Just for the record, I am at work, for lunch, I brought my dinner which I did not have time to eat before work, but, my lunch is home made sauce, from the tomatoes in my garden, no meat, but loaded with mushrooms, and whole wheat pasta, and a small salad with italian dressing. I am a southerner,

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I have no idea if the southerners are fatter than the northerners BUT what I know is the south will have to RISE again... I mean... I you cant really get THAT fat if you wanna rise.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm not fat. I am well rounded and expansive thank you very much.

Besides what do you expect of a region that considers bacon fat a food group?

Beer, cornbread, potato salad, barbeque...need I say more?

I grew up in the south and live back there now and I can tell you its the food...we have great food but no one could ever accuse southern cooking of being diet food...I mean have you ever watched Paula Deen?

The heat and humidity doesn't help matters either, it encourages us to be slow and lethargic and I can tell you most southerners think that whoever invented air conditioning should be sainted.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Being from the south and having lived in Maine for 20 years I learned several things about Yankees...

First they are not rude...its just too damned cold to stretch out a proper drawl.

second: They are not standoffish...they just hold back and check you out first to decide if you are worth the effort...but once you've made a friend, unless you really screw up, you've made a friend for life.

Third Yankee women really know how to keep you warm on a long cold winter night.

As for southerners... they will:

...smile to your face while sharpening the knife.
Offering another helping
while grandpa finishes the grave.
Ya’ll come back now ya hear...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by grover]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

Do you still have the "Earls" franchise in Canada? with the Earls Albino Rhino beer?
I remember when i was there with my brother in law we tried to visit every joint we find, always have gorgious waitresses [modells?] with a hospitality i'd never experience here in holland..and that fine rhino beer and food.
How about the Aussies in here they are #1 BBQ culture, and i dont see that many fat people there?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join