It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Southerners so Fat?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Why are Southerners so Fat?

www.time.com

So there you have it. Southerners have little access to healthy food and limited means with which to purchase it. It's hard for them to exercise outdoors, and even when they do have the opportunity, it's so hot, they don't want to. To combat this affliction, some Southern states have adopted programs to fight rising obesity. In 2003, Arkansas passed a school body mass index–screening program that assesses weight and sends the results home to parents. Tennessee encourages its schools to buy fresh ingredients from local growers. And in 2007, Mississippi adopted nutritional standards for sch
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Wow this article is amazing.

So I have lived in the South since 2003. Since then I too have gained weight. And it does have a lot to do with many of the points made in this article.

The biggest ones have to do with the fact It's HOT AS HELL down here. To get anywhere you really need to drive, and if you don't and decide to bike or walk, the number of cars on the road forces you to battle the smog.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of us down here who recognize the patterns and make adjustments. I limit my beer intake now, and don't eat as many of the fried foods that are so uber available down here.

But it's true... move to the south, and watch the waistline grow....

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"When you're poor, you tend to eat more calorie-dense foods because they're cheaper than fruits and vegetables," explains Jeff Levi, executive director of Trust for America. Poor neighborhoods also have fewer grocery stores, even in the rural South.

Sorry, not buying it. It's a cultural thing.. we love fried things and biscuits and gravy, to name two. Plus, the fact that it's very easy climate-wise to grow vegies. Ever heard the title "Fat and happy"?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Oh, and have you ever been to a buffet in the south?

Most of the restaurants in the area where I live are buffets. I live in rural Louisiana. These buffets rarely have anything healthy to select from. EVERYTHING is fried. Heck, just last week I went to a place where even the pickles were fried!

The salad bars usually consist of iceberg lettuce with meager toppings.

YUCK!

I don't eat pork or sea food, and greatly limit fried food in my diet, so, I have actually lost weight since living here. I moved here in 2004.

I have to agree with you on the heat limiting excersize, though. It's rough just walking to the end of the driveway to check the mail!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Chicken Fried Steak.

Beer.

Bar B Q.

mmmm.....need I go on? If they ate a bunch of tofu and sprouts down there, they would be all emaciated like the flower powers up north.

I also think that before the heroine junkie look became fashionable, it was thought of as a little healthier to have a couple pounds on you.

A lot of people don't slow down their eating as they get older. Their caloric needs are less, but it tastes so dang good.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I thought it was going to read something like because they sit around all day cleaning their guns,and chewing on tobacco,wile maw cooks up sum fried chicken...

Nah,not the heat its the great food they have in the south..Good taste=bad for ya..

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
i'm half laughing and half not. for the 20 years i've lived in the deep south, i have noticed an overall trend toward obesity but thought it was just me seeing things. the larger sizes are always sold out in stores here and when they are on the shelves they blow my mind. when i used to buy pants for my husband, i'd find myself thinking whoa...how many size 52x28 or 52x30 jeans do they need to carry? then the next week most of em would be gone.

i guess it does go to the food and recreation choices? i'm not sure i buy the weather thing though...i seem to lose 4 pounds for every hour i spend outdoors in the summer. ha.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i use to live in the south, alabama and georgia. I think a part of it is the heat, man it gets hot down there... dont miss that at all.
BUT i think the main factor is southern folk know how to make food taste good, sure its not healthy, i fix my collard greens and call them my green heart clogers, but man they are good...
they go something like this....

1/2 lb fried bacon pieces , for flavor
1/2 lb butter , for flavor
3 bundles of collard greens
onions
and a little spices for kick..

nothing about it is healthy, but man talk about make your mouth water...

Most the people around here look at me weird until they try them.. then they are hooked..

but most southern dishes are not healthy. but dang good eatin, mix a good sothern meal with some ice cold beer and you are in heaven.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well I live in the south, GA, when I came to the state of GA I weighted littler over 120 pounds, within 10 years I have gained 30 pounds.

I still do exercise five times a week, do weight training 3 times week and physically I am fit.

But darn I can not shed the weight no matter how much I starve.

I follow a very healthy diet most of the time, by all means not fast food at all.

Now, for those that has not been in a town in GA, we have as many Churches as we do restaurants, that means you will not go more than a few miles without and assortments of temples, churches and whatever, followed in between with fast food restaurants and shopping centers

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Another thought on the obesity in the south.

The first time I ordered iced tea when I moved here, I was served a huge glass that was about 32 oz. I thought to myself, nice, since it was really hot out.

I took a sip, and directly spit it out. I asked the waitress did she make a mistake and serve me something else, to which she wondered if I meant to ask for un-sweet tea.

The sweet tea down here is about 50% sugar, and I am not kidding. It's almost like syrup.

If you ever order tea, and don't like it sweet make sure to specify down here in the south.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well I agree that it is everything elses fault that people in the South are fatter on average than their northern counterparts. Poor people from the South, I hope Obama can give you some stimulus to help you out. If we all just cared more and loved better you wouldnt be fat. This wouldnt even happen if we could get rid of money and share our resources.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I will have to agree with that, Ice tea and very sweetened is a staple of the south, I can not drink it neither with or without sugar.

But then again I don't drink sodas that is also another staple of diet here.

just plain water, I wonder if the water in the south will make you fat also.

Just joking.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul

1/2 lb fried bacon pieces , for flavor
1/2 lb butter , for flavor
3 bundles of collard greens
onions
and a little spices for kick..

nothing about it is healthy, but man talk about make your mouth water...

Actually, the best way to cook collards is to use fat back instead of bacon. Lol, so you see, your recipe is much healthier than mine!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

ahh true southern sweet tea... dont even bother asking for it in a restraunt around here, they will bring you a glass of tea and a packet of sugar.. *LOL*

Although i dont like mine that sweet, its still a habbit i picked up from down there that i cant get away from. I drink about a gallon a day, although in fairness, that is about the only source of real sugar i get in my diet. So i dont feel bad.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

well true, but go to a store here in montana and ask for fatback and they look at you like you are a freak of nature. *LOL*

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I was visiting some friends in Maryland a while back. Not very South but relatively South. We went out to breakfast at a "Bob Evans." Everything was coated in butter, full of sausage and buried in gravy that had chunks of sausage in it. I could have chucked a biscuit through a window it was so heavy with grease.

If that's what they see as regular cuisine it's no wonder they're obese.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Moving to the south isn't working for me gaining weight! I guess since I love hot weather I am still active, plus my metabolism was always burning food right when it hits my stomach.

Going to the buffet is quite a sight though. I can't believe the amount of food some can get on one plate. They act like they can only go through the line once!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
Well I agree that it is everything elses fault that people in the South are fatter on average than their northern counterparts. Poor people from the South, I hope Obama can give you some stimulus to help you out. If we all just cared more and loved better you wouldnt be fat. This wouldnt even happen if we could get rid of money and share our resources.

Have you ever considered the fact that the South is known for it's "nice, laid-back" people... could it be related to the fact that our food makes us happier? It has nothing to do, for the most part, with the state of "the poor" in the South, and everything to do with the culture.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Sorry didnt mean to focus on the poor. I was just supporting the OP. I just think we should do everything we can to help fat people from the South, that was really my only point.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
GEEZ down there, if you dont cook everything with a stick of butter, pork fat, heavy cream, and a cup of sugar then you dont know HOW to cook.

They dont have the other options in the stores because no one wants it not the other way around. Stores have now and will always stock what sells.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join