It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mobile High Energy Laser Test Successfully Destroys Large Inbound Rocket

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolve
hey people,

I have a few question:

Does anyone know how large such a unit is ? how large the "power pack" how Many Kw/MW the laser shots at und lastly what the reloading speed of this unit is ?

It sounds very interessting... if it can fire at rapid speeds without having to reload for X minutes and without needing a deploy a small reactor near it

Wolve

The size of the unit is currently 2 semi truck trailers...
that is going to come down in size prior to deployment.
The MTHEL is a multi-megawatt laser, that's all the open source info on the power.

Yes there is a generator onboard, however power for the actual laser comes from the chemical fuel for the laser, in this case it's an oxygen/iodine concoction, (COIL).

Regarding the recovery time between shots, figure about 5-7 seconds for the chemicals to provide power for another shot. This time should decrease as the laser is further refined.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
well from what ive been reading and observing for the last half year is that a new arms race has started

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I can hardly believe in it. There are some points about the MTHEL that needs to be enlighted.

I dont see what is the tactical interest, for example.

Is it a relicat of the cold war ?

And, anyway, if the missiles fly above the cloud masses, the MTHEL will have no utility.

I would rather things to many others DEW's tactical weapons, but a laser, now ?

<< 1   >>

join