It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US/SKorea says web attackers use IP addresses of 16 nations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Cyber attacks that caused a wave of Web site outages in the U.S. and South Korea used 86 IP addresses in 16 countries, South Korea's spy agency told lawmakers Friday, amid suspicions North Korea was behind the effort.

The countries include South Korea, the United States, Japan and Guatemala, Chung Chin-sup, a member of the parliamentary intelligence committee, told reporters.

He spoke after being briefed by the National Intelligence Service, or NIS, on preliminary investigations of the IP addresses - the Internet equivalent of a street address or phone number.

The assaults on Web sites in the U.S. and South Korea have been described as so-called denial of service attacks in which floods of computers try to connect to a single site at the same time, overwhelming the server.

The NIS also briefed lawmakers on circumstantial and technical reasons for believing that North Korea could be behind the attacks, Chung said without elaborating.

But the spy agency cautioned it was too early to conclude that North Korea was responsible as the investigations were still under way, according to Park Young-sun, another member of the intelligence committee.

"So far, North Korea was not included among the 16 countries' IP addresses," she told reporters.

U.S. authorities also eyed North Korea as the origin of the trouble, though they warned it would be difficult to identify the attackers quickly.

apnews.myway.com...

So there we go. No NK fingerprints.

I wonder if the attacks are related to the "CONFICKER" worm ??

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Actually, I have been discussing this with some of my colleagues and we are pondering the idea that Xe or another mercenary group is actually executing this attack, which means, of course, that they are getting paid by someone.

Hmm.. Maybe it is COBRA? Where's G.I. Joe? *grin*

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

saw the trailer for that movie last night, looks pretty sweet

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

They are certainly pushing the Cyber attack thing now.
Constant use of the word attack,taking the place of the word terror/ism for getting to the public.

All being done for the next step of them gaining control over the net.
The North Korea situation is convenient for their plans.
As was previously with the terror threat.

Whoever does all this would give Spielberg and co a run for their money with how they direct these things.

[edit on 10/7/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The SK government never heard of proxies? Or zombie computers?

Anyway, as another poster pointed out, there could be cells in different countries coordinating an attack.

But I say it was proxies and zombie computers.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
DDOS attacks are for noobs. All you need is a packet editor but I don't really want to give people any ideas.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

LOL. Give away. Noone on here seems to be part of this anyway. I have mentioned a few times a primo target for causing critical damage to the Banking system in the US and they are still up and running..lol

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It is trivial to use a proxy or trojaned Windows box, used to do it quite a bit back when nobody used a password for file sharing via SMB and open WinGate servers and Back Orifice trojaned machines were easy to find.

People pretending that they can pinpoint any specific country as a culprit for attacks is pretty ridiculous, but for the great unwashed masses of American Idol and NASCAR it seems very reasonable.

Education is the only thing that can hold the wolves at bay.

And I don't mean the sort of education that public schools dole out.

top topics

join