It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have No Choice, We Only Think We Do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It is an interesting question though, one that seems to have many answers. But even if we were controlled, we'd have no way of knowing.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What if its not an either/or thing? What if the whole free-will vs. predestiny is a monumental waste of time because both are true?

What if we have choice over some things and not over others?

I can choose between looking at the moon or looking at a star. At current I cannot choose to fly to one of those stars with my body.

Whats the big issue on this?????

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I believe it's more like a roadtrip. We have destinations and how we choose to get there is up to us.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well lets see, the way I vision life is complicated, but IMO it makes sense and can go either way.

Basically, a pre-destined future cannot be called pre-destined, because there is no future. Everything past,present,future has already happened and is happening right now. Of course the possibility of different timelines is what makes our lives different and seem more free. Now this may sound crazy, but I see the person I am right now is just one part of me that spans across many dimensions, timelines, universes, whatever you want to call it..... just a subconscious if you will. I am just one part of my much greater self. And my greater counterpart is connected to others, and pretty much everyone is connected in a seemingly never ending web...and at the end of that web there is one man or being that is everyone and everything in the world, and I call that man God. We are all just the subconscious of one great being, but of course in our own eyes we are making our free choices as the great illusion of time passes by. IMO, I dont think "individuality" can exist, even though that sounds crazy. If we were not all connected at some certain starting point, there is no where for us to hold on to, or exist. And death is really nothing more than the realization of a different dimension of ourselves where we could be totally the same or a completely different person.

But thats just my crazy two cents, I just think the way the world we look at the world is too black and white. We are created by a man, delivered through a woman, live for seemingly some purpose, then die and go to heaven. As for atheists that believe in no greater power and that we just cease to exist is the most black and white form imaginable. I am a Christian and very much believe in God and Jesus, but not in the way a normal Christian would.

So in short yes we have a choice, isn't it obvious that we are clearly capable of thinking of making decisions for ourselves? It may not be our choices, per say, but all we know is that yes this is our mind and no one else can touch it. Im just saying the path we are traveling is the never ending journey of one man who is at the same time starting and completing his journey...if that makes any sense.

But thats just my crazy 17 year old brain trying to make sense of this whole life thing

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Nostradumbass]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join