It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Virus found in Pigs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

A form of Ebola virus has been detected in pigs for the first time, raising concerns it could mutate and pose a new risk to humans.

Ebola-Reston virus (REBOV) has only previously been seen in monkeys and humans - and has not caused illness.

This is the form of Ebola that Preston wrote about in his book, "The Hot Zone".

The strain has apparently infected a pig population in the Philippines.

If this is true, and happening now, as we are dealing with simple novel flu mutations, it's possible to have an airborne Ebola/flu cocktail, which of course, would be devastating beyond conception.

The GOOD news (if there is any here ) is that Ebola Reston did infect humans but did not induce Ebola-like illness (as far as we were told) and it killed only non-human primates in the Reston lab, from which it escaped. What is worrisome is that the strain has obviously made it's way around the world- and as pigs and humans share nearly as many genes as monkeys and humans, we might have a big problem here.

I know I asked in other posts to put down whether or not this is a bio-engineered virus or a natural one- and band together to fight it with our research- but I'm now convinced beyond a doubt that there have been either ENORMOUS mistakes made in the infectious disease research community, or that this is a bio-bug, for which only some will receive a protective vaccine- and the rest of us seem to be on our own in the desert.

PLEASE- post if you find more info on this---comments, data, anything. This is the most chilling article I've read since the outbreak began.

In peace and wellness

C

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ebola... 5 little letters, scares me much more than swine flu ever will.

I remember watching a documentary about this disease years ago, I remember thinking that if this became more easily transmitted and perhaps stopped killing its victims quite so quickly... well I shudder to think

S+F

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

Star & Flag.

I will watch for further info on this from wiser folks. From what little I do understand, any comment I would make would be next to worthless.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It was a scary read, I have to say. Ebola kills about 90-95% of those infected. Ebola Reston, until now, has NOT been pathogenic in humans, though- only in monkeys. So we can pray it stays that way.

My concern is the swine vector- with so many corporate farms; with pigs acting as reassortment viral bioreactors throughout time (like birds); and with the present pandemic, it's a bit unsettling, isn't it?

The best outcome would be that in swine the Ebola Reston becomes LESS pathogenic, rather than more so- and that those swine infected with it are culled immediately, before ANY part of Ebola or influenza have a chance to shake hands.

I don't think I'm the only one who thinks any kind of airborne Ebola is nightmare-inducing.

I've found no other reports, but will post as I do. I think more than anything else, this is a wakeup call for the world- microbes know no boundaries- and the more we push nature, the more she pushes back. We need to keep well, stay informed, and hope for the best outcome.

In peace and health,

C

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

Hey, I appreciate you keeping us informed about this development. I clearly am no expert on germs and viruses but I do know that scientists messing around, testing, experimenting with nature is going to be a disaster, if not now, later.

E-Coli found in Nestle Cookie Dough! How? Why? Who?

All of these weird, unusual bacterial, viral strains are becoming more prominent or are they just now being focused on because of the flu pandemic?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
From the OP linked source:

Pigs are known to provide an ideal host for viruses to mutate. Experts say the potential risk is magnified because they are an essential part of the human food chain, and come into close contact with people.

AND:

The researchers said it was possible that REBOV originally emerged in another, as yet unidentified, host. Fruit-eating bats have been suggested as one possibility.

From the WHO's ebola factsheet:

Incubation period: two to 21 days.

The natural reservoir of the Ebola virus is unknown despite extensive studies, but it seems to reside in the rain forests on the African continent and in the Western Pacific.

Different hypotheses have been developed to explain the origin of Ebola outbreaks. Laboratory observation has shown that bats experimentally infected with Ebola do not die, and this has raised speculation that these mammals may play a role in maintaining the virus in the tropical forest

I've frequently wondered if nature has a hidden trigger for population control; Once population spreads to a point where the trigger is uncovered, the source is unleashed. Just a thought I've pondered. If such a thing were to exist, perhaps it would be in the deepest part of the jungle.

It's another reason (really out on a limb here) I am concerned about "ancient microbes and bacteria" found under the ice of Antartica being collected and taken to laboratories for study. Ancient = probably something humans have never been exposed to.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

...the Reston lab, from which it escaped...

Puhlease.

From which it was released is more like it.

I'm sick to death of these crazy diseases and the crazy scientists who fiddle with them.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ok really... Another virus??? It just happens to be one of the most, if not, the most deadly viruses out there. Escaped from a lab? No chance. Definitely wreaks of NWO.

Bible prophecies are coming true left and right. Yesterday, we had the one world currency get announced. Now, we have numerous plagues and famines in their early stages getting ready to wreak havok on us. A one world government, is starting to emerge from the shadows. World War 3 could start any day now. I want off this ride...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by sliceNodice]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
hey CultureD.

i'm terrified by this thing. Those StephenKing novels I read as a teenager are becoming true.

We gotta be on the watch, the day the shtf, we'll be one step ahead. But my hope of us making it is almost null, so I'll wander in the streets like a jerk and cough my blood to death if Ebola-Flu happens.

No matter what happens, we'll be warned !

ps: have u read my recent u2u ?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Good point about other illnesses popping up everywhere! E. coli outbreaks in cookie dough- now in ground beef in the Midwest (USA). Whooping cough and measles are on the rise in the states, as is West Nile virus (mosquito--borne vector)-the mosquitos had me wondering. NYC is getting hit hard with flu- and it's been wet and rainy there for weeks- could mosquitos pass flu? Not sure- have to look into it.

And as a final thought- our local pharmacies are holding "Shingles Vaccination Clinics"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know shingles is brutal- but what blows my mind is that it's a herpes virus (one of about 27 types- from cold sores to Epstein-Barr, Mono, etc.), and when kids get the chicken pox vaccine (chicken pox is a herpes virus), they DON'T get the pox, but are at FAR higher risk for shingles later in life- which can be a good deal more painful and dangerous. When kids DO get chicken pox, as we're meant to as a childhood disease, they have a far lower risk of shingles as adults.

Could we be seeing some younger people developing shingles since the chicken pox vaccine as mandatory?
I'm going to to into one of the clinics and check out the age groups. Even if it's older people, it's a sign of an over-arching cessation of health, IMO- and one to keep watch on.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Interesting questions! Surely there are microbes in Antactica- just as there are thermophilic microbes in geysers at Yosemite!

Keep in mind, as well, that while the Ebola vector is unknown, there is a chance it could up- or down- regulate genes in pigs, causing the release of swine-borne pathogens that don't even have anything to DO with Ebola.

99% of mammalian DNA is in introns- "junk DNA"- but most of that junk is left over viral material, oncogenes, retroviral info, etc. You never know what could be turned on- or what safety could be removed- molecularly- by Ebola in pigs, as pigs are not a natural reservoir for the virus, as far as we are aware.

It's a highly complex scenario, I think.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
???

It's already found in humans and other primates. If there were to be an outbreak, it wouldn't need a pig vector to be awful.

The specific virus also has great difficulty becoming airborne. I personally don't think a mutation would change that, but it could.

Come on guys, it's awful enough. It's been around for years but it hasn't spread much out of Africa, specifically Congo. I wouldn't be worried but this is not the virus to go spreading rumors about.

Ebola kills people. Period. E. coli, pertussis (I had that), measles, West Nile, can all be prevented and treated.

Ebola makes you bleed out of every orifice.

INBD

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Raven-

I am not at ALL worried about Ebola, itself, mutating from a blood-borne pathogen to an aeresolized one, just because it's in swine. My concern was a simple one- that if the pigs already carry the A/H1N1, that SOME of the Ebola nucleic acids could hop aride on the influenza, and spread in a mutated form- for example, to make this flu more dangerous re: hemhorraging, etc.

I certainly don't think the entire genomic structure of Ebola will change- merely that the risk of assortment in mammalian vectors that might carry flu is a dangerous place for that virus to be.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MattMulder

Matt- I need to check my U2U- will get back to you later today or tomorrow-

Cheers

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well- I can't say it was released, because I can't prove it....but we all know I think, what went down there.

We had moved from the area very shortly before that happened-eery!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well i will also attest to the fact that Ebola scares the pants off me too...even the name sounds deadly.I dont think we will be facing an Ebola/swine super zombie virus...but this article makes me hope they never come into contact with each other... afp.google.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Two forms of influenza can mutate together and create a combo.

I don't believe that a Filoviradae (Ebola-type) virus and an Orthomyzoviridae (Influenza-type) virus could combind like that. At all. Genetically engineered or not.

It would be like crossing HPV with the common cold.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What is really funny is that in a joking manner for the last few months, I have been calling the swine flu, "The Swine Flu Ebola".

I was joking around with my wife while watching TV, and there was an add for some type of prescription drug, and I was making fun of the list of side effects. I was like, "this drug can cause a rare side effect, the swine flu ebola". And it just stuck, and I semi-jokingly told her one day that no one is afraid of the swine flu, so they need to mix it with ebola so that people are scared enough to take the vaccine.

Ebola is the scariest disease on the planet that I am aware of. I read "The Hot Zone" when I was about 10 years old. About that time hantavirus was loose here in New Mexico. I can't imagine if flu and ebola mixed, it would probably wipe human kind off the planet completely.

From what I understand Ebola virus particles are really tough, and can survive for weeks. When you get Ebola, you do a lot of puking and bleeding. This allows for a very difficult containment situation.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I would have to agree with ya there for one basic reason... Ebola kills so quickly through cell damage that the flu virus would actually be overwhelmed and would not likely be able to co-inhabit the infected cells. From my, albeit limited, understanding of virological mutations, the two virus have to be in the same cell in order to comingle their RNA. So in this case, the fact that ebola kills so quickly is the saving grace.

Honestly, if ebola had flu attributes (i.e. airborne, hibernation period of a few days with no symptoms) that it exhibited before it became hemmoragic, it would be the superflu of legend. High transmission rates and very high mortality rates. Scary thought, but for the moment, not a likely one in the wild.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Right, but they can't go airborne.

Ebola spreads really fast and kills fast and if you aren't dead yet, you're transmitting the virus to everyone and their brother.

What other good Ebola lit is out there besides Hot Zone? Umm.. Outbreak. There are others. I'll think of them later.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join