It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actor to live in box to raise money for hungry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Actor to live in box to raise money for hungry

www.breitbart.com

David Arquette is going to live in a box in New York City to raise money for the hungry.
The 37-year-old actor plans to stay in a Plexiglas box above the Madison Square Garden marquee on Tuesday and Wednesday to raise $250,000 for Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger relief charity. He'll stay in the box each day for about eight hours.

Arquette starred in the "Scream" movie franchise.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
This is another stunt for publicity from someone who is not even know world wide, as compared to some other celebrities.

The real intention of this stunt is to popularize the actor and make him feed his own stomach, rather than him feeding the hungry

These kind of attempts is what our society is suffering from. We are suffering from the lack of real heroes in our daily life and hence we tend to make these kind of people our heroes.

Is $250000 going to make much of a difference to the hungry people in US forget Africa or elsewhere? Out of this money how much do you think is actually going to reach the hungry? Nothing.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I really don't think 8 hours per day is going to be enough, It would have to be at least a week non stop apart from potty breaks, and besides I'm sure the 'actor' has got $250,000 Dollars in his own bank account to pay for it anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I agree with you there 100%.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

You are right. The actors guild already has a charity group called Actors Benevolent Fund, and they are doing good work.

Why ot donate to that fund rather than this stunt. I am sure the actor will be seen in more movies after this PR exercise.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Well this is not a new thing. people act out rolls all the time for money.
What makes me suspicious is that its always for some'TAX-DEDUCTABLE' Charity.
How compassionate

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I fully understand wanting to blast celebrities for doing pointless things when it is called for. However - you guys are being completely negative about one mans attempt to gather awareness on a serious subject.

David Arguette does not need to do anything for "publicity" or "money". If you had done any research on him, you would know that he doesn't really act any more because he does not want to...NOT because he can't get jobs.

His last few movies were childrens films because that is what he wanted to do, make positive movies for kids.

And BTW - he is married to Courtney Cox Arguette, of Friends fame. So if there is any hidden motives behind his act, I fail to see it.

Are any of you doing anything to gain attention and raise funds to help the homeless problems that are becoming ever more serious during these economic times? No? Then don't point fingers and judge others who are doing their part to help.

This world would be a lot better off if we praised these types of things rather than assume it is always to promote a career or a publicity stunt.

Nice work David Arguette. I'm happy to see someone using their fame for good in these desperate times.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

The real intention of this stunt is to popularize the actor and make him feed his own stomach, rather than him feeding the hungry

Are you assuming this?

$250,000 will buy a lot of groceries, and it will be $250,000 more than this organization had (hopefully) before Mr. Arquette spends 16 hours in a plexiglass box.

I can only afford to toss a few canned food items into a donation box every couple of weeks, so I think that what he is doing is great jesture.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Are you assuming this?

Most of the charity activities that Hollywood actors do is for publicity and "giving it back to the society" stunts, which we see all the time. They are actors and they should stay as actors, if they want to do social service, they can do it privately, Why all this media publicity and news headlines about thier charity work? The actors dont object to that.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

Most of the charity activities that Hollywood actors do is for publicity and "giving it back to the society" stunts, which we see all the time.

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I think charities ask some of these people to do "stunts," as you call them, because it draws attention to the charity, and not the movie star, as you suggest.

If you volunteered to stay in the box for 16 hours, do you think you would get as many donations for the charity as Mr. Arquette does?

If you think you could, go ahead an volunteer yourself. In fact, why don't you volunteer to be in a box next to his.

Who do you think would get more donations?

So what if it brings him a little more notoriety. It's not like he is getting paid for his 16 hours of charity work.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
actually I heard the celebrity's talking about doing this kind of work and it doesn't seem to be an act of publicity..

"anyone can write a check, it takes more to put yourself in their shoes and do something you would rather not do in order to raise the money" Often time they will match the money they raise from these stunts..

I am grateful for these kinds of displays. While we are all wrapped up in our own lives and struggles we forget that millions of people have it worse then us.. So not only is he raising money but more importantly he is raising awareness..

This may help us to donate more, find local ways we can lend a hand and it will also catch the eye of other celebs, and have them thinking "how can i contribute more"

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
A rich person wanting us poorer people to donate money to feed the poor. How ironic.

Which leads me off on a tangent - how come the Obama administration is so concerned with limiting the pay of CEO's, but no talk whatsoever about limiting the pay of actors and athletes?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
A rich person wanting us poorer people to donate money to feed the poor. How ironic.

Which leads me off on a tangent - how come the Obama administration is so concerned with limiting the pay of CEO's, but no talk whatsoever about limiting the pay of actors and athletes?

Are you really concerned about the pay of actors and athletes? You do know they are paid based on the value of the entertainment they provide the public. They have not taken bail out money and are not living on the taxes you pay. These corporate types have taken you tax dollars and continue to take million dollar bonuses etc..

On topic, most celebrity stunts to draw attention are the idea of the charities themselves and the celebrities are recruited to give the time and fame to the effort. FYI the Arquette family is fairly well off and I doubt he "needs"to do this for his own career.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

He and his wife are has-beens. Courtney Cox can't get a project going and her hubby is totally forgotten by the public. Remember all those obnoxious commercials for their lame show 'Dirt' ?? Thank God that's gone.

Has-Been Publicity Stunt

[edit on 7/10/2009 by FlyersFan]

new topics

top topics

join