It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economy pushing Obama approval below 50% in Ohio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Economy is making people impatient. Good grief, only four months in. This is the economy for the next decade, wonder how popular he will be one year into this mess.

www.foxnews.com...

Obama's Popularity Plummets in Ohio as Residents Express Impatience
A new Quinnipiac poll shows the president's approval ratings from Ohio voters has dropped from 62 percent in May to 49 percent this month, making it the first state where President Obama's job approval has dipped below 50 percent.

By Mike Emanuel
FOXNews.com
Thursday, July 09, 2009

Patience may be wearing thin for President Obama's economic initiatives to produce results -- at least in Ohio -- as a new poll shows the president's popularity plunging in that critical swing state.

The president's approval ratings from Ohio voters dropped from 62 percent in May to 49 percent this month in a new Quinnipiac University poll, making it the first state in which Obama's job approval has dipped below 50 percent.

Unemployment in Ohio, at 10.8 percent, is well above the national average, and that appears to be having an impact on Buckeye residents.

"Early in the election period, people were very excited about the prospect of dramatic change and I think they were desperate for something different," said Karina Horton. "But now we are in the midst of this change -- it's a little more scary than they were ready for and I sense a noticeable shift with friends and co-workers' opinions about President Obama."

Others suggest that the Obama administration's actions don't match its words.

"Seeing a lot of words come out, lot of promises and I'm trying to do this or trying to do that but I'm not actually seeing it happen," Kathy Hartman said.

But some voters aren't ready to give up on the president just yet.

"Progress isn't fast. It's slow," Michael Gehrig said. "It could take two, three years. People are impatient."

Click here for a FOX New Live Shots blog about the poll.

"I'm not losing no patience," said Eddie Brock. "I'm going to keep plugging away and plugging away because I have to, because no one is going to do it for me."

Still, some suggest Obama will need to continue selling his policies.

"There's a lot of spending happening and not much growth to show for it at this point," Horton said.

Across town, Vice President Biden was the giving the administration's sale pitch, urging Ohio residents to be patient.

Biden's message is that money from the $787 billion stimulus package is being spent in the state, and there's more work to be done.

"Remember, we're only 140 days into this deal," he said. "It is supposed to take 18 months."

But the political reality for the Obama administration is that Ohio is a microcosm for middle America. Republicans, like House Minority Leader John Boehner, who is from Ohio, have attacked the administration's policies as "job killers."

"People want their jobs," Boehner said. "They want to see the economy moving again and they don't see anything happening."

Another concern expressed by Ohio voters was the price tag of government spending right now and who will ultimately pay the bill.

"Not very optimistic at this point," Hartman said.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Ohio?

It was ever over 50% in Ohio?

That's the real surprise as I see it Ohio can be pretty conservative through much of the State

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Ah, I see the general trend. Found this on Rassmussen reports.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b8a3203b728.jpg[/atsimg]

www.rasmussenreports.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Actually, Ohio is becoming very much a democrat state. It's because Ohio basically sucks. lol. The majority of the people there have blamed it on the GOP. but, yet, as the state has become more democrat friendly, nothing has changed. It's still a state where anyone who can get out, gets out. lol. Me, a long time ago. lol. It's no longer a red state. It's a state in transition. Towards blue. Unfortunately, the states people, like most places, can only understand the left/right bullcrap.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I saw Cramer from The Mad Money tv show display an interesting chart the other day. He called it the Obama Accountability Index. It was basically a chart of the stock market for the last few months. It's going downhill. I do agree with Cramer on the points he was making. We need more jobs not new taxes. People need to feel secure in their jobs to get an economic improvement. Obama lied to the middle class and the poor in my opinion when he said he wouldn't raise our taxes one cent if we made less than 250K. I make no where close to that. However now they are talking about adding taxes to our health insurance plans if we already have one through our jobs. That means if we're already paying for health insurance at work, we might have to pay even more even if we don't get much benefit out of it. Obama is talking about fining everyone $1,000 who doesn't even want health insurance as a penalty for not having it. That's helping us?

Then he wants to implement a huge tax on all of us via the Cap and Tax or Cap and Trade plan. Basically he's worried about greenhouse gases warming the planet up instead of us losing jobs. The EPA has suppressed an internal report they did that indicates global temperatures have been dropping the last few years. They knew it wouldn't fly well with Obama and the democrats if they revealed the truth. It will be a huge tax and raise everyone's electric rates sky high. Businesses will likely have to cut more jobs to help offset the increased costs. Then the bakery for instance that bakes your bread will have to charge you higher prices because they have higher prices, etc. etc. We don't need all these higher taxes in my opinion.

I forgot to mention that I doubt Ohio was the first state for Obama's approval rating to drop below 50%. He didn't win all the states to start with. Maybe the author meant that Ohio was the first state he won that now has an approval rating less than 50%.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Who gives a damn about Ohio? His approval rating should be dropping all over the freakin country. I'm broke as hell and I can't afford any new taxes..And I make good money in my state!

top topics

join