It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work ethic, Is it completely gone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think this is rightfully in Psychology, more or less mass psychology.

I was raised in a family, (fathers half albeit), where everything you had you worked for, you want a christmas present, you better work for it! lol.

Lately, at my own job, I have managed to get lazy and rude with consumers, unrightfully so too!

I justify it, by looking at how my boss treats me, even if i've done everything perfect, he will make up something, how I don't get paid anything for overtime and etc.

But still I'm lucky to have a job, i'm lucky to have a car paid off, paying partially through school, and working for everything i've had.

Mainly though, I went to Wendy's. Just to get a milkshake frosty thing, they had to have had over 20 workers in there, i'd say half were on the phone texting, and 5 left were working, loosely at that, and the other 5 were in a group talking about boys or girls. The manager was in the back eating, (which appeared she never stopped eating.....morbidly obese).

I ended up asking a passing employee about my meal, and why it was taking so long, in the nicest manner, she told me she was extremely busy, and just couldn't tell me. I watched her walk five feet away, while calling me a # noticeably loud, pull out her phone and start texting, as if noone could she her, then get on the phone and telling her boyfriend (i'm guessing) about the party next week....

What happened, what happened to hard work, no matter where your at, what happened to dying to succeed in life, what happened to work ethic!

There are many more horror stories, and I know it's a minimum wage job at wendys, but if not one person (even the manager) can Shine like a star there, what makes you think you can shine any where else!

Is this just me noticing this stuff, even at high standing places, but i've had a few bad moments at my job I.E when I got a phone call saying my dad was dying, but always made up with a customer done wrong later on.

Is this how it's been, it just seems like more and more places I go to buy something or hand over my hard earned cash, seem to treat me more and more like #.

I dress nice, I look clean, i'm an approachable guy, I can't find why on earth someone would disrespect me so much, for handing my money over to them...

What happened to the Self Drive, and pride in your work?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Man, I cannot tell you how nice it is to see a thread like this. I worked 12 hours a day for months straight without any days off just to pay my rent and feed my fiance and newborn son. This was 3 years ago and it was bad then. Most of the people I worked with just wanted to stand around and talk. I ended up doing most of the work in my department every night.

People do not care. Our world is so lost and so corrupted that people just do not care anymore. As long as bills get paid and they live to see the end, that is good enough.

Star and flag

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I could tell you why you experience this but you might not want to hear it.

Personally I've noted excellent service from servers, cashiers and other service personel. Lately I've even noticed a more friendly connection with retail workers who seem to sympathize more with customers. I have to admit that I rarely enter a fast-food place, though.

I have a friend who, when we go out to eat, can usually score a free meal just by telling the server that he didn't like something on the plate. I don't know how he does it. The amazing thing is that people treat him like he's the Duke of York or something but he's just an average guy.

In other words, I think you get what your expectations create for you.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Man, I cannot tell you how nice it is to see a thread like this. I worked 12 hours a day for months straight without any days off just to pay my rent and feed my fiance and newborn son. This was 3 years ago and it was bad then. Most of the people I worked with just wanted to stand around and talk. I ended up doing most of the work in my department every night.

People do not care. Our world is so lost and so corrupted that people just do not care anymore. As long as bills get paid and they live to see the end, that is good enough.

Star and flag

I know, my job is a subway, I work odd and bizarre hours, but I know I have bills that need to be paid.

And I know how lucky I am to have a job, regardless of what or how crappy it is, even if my friend scored a marketing do nothing job for a much 15 an hours salary, with no education....lucky son of a gun.

But I can still work my arse off and try hard, you never know when your luck will turn for better, and I know I'd want to achieve the same standards I have for my job.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by I Am Spartacus

Spartacus...

If I didn't want to hear what people had to say, I wouldn't be on the internet at all.

Make my day though, tell me what it is that i'm doing wrong specifically, and I bet you i'm not doing it, I treat everyone with the respect I feel I should be given. I treat a guy in a Lamborghini the same as a repeat customer, as do I treat my Lawyer with the utmost respect so I do a worker from wendys.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well I would say that a decent work ethic is in fact dead for the most part. However, the age of the workers, especially at a fast food restaurant certainly comes into play. I worked as a general manager in food service for over eight years, and such things are always an issue with younger folk. Yes parents are partly to blame, but often fast food is a young persons first work experience, and it is up to the manager, to not only motivate their employees, but to teach them what it means to do a decent job. I always had a great team wherever I went, but too often food service managers in particular where the individuals that truly lacked any type of work ethic. If anyone is to blame in your story it would be the overweight individual. Teenagers have a very self-centered focus, and if the hard working teenagers from fifty years ago were given all the distractions of 2009, they would probably have had the same work ethic issues.

As for the rest of us who do have a decent work ethic, it must be said that it isn't all that peachy either. Those who are willing to work diligently, intelligently, and are pleasant to get along with are the ones who are most often exploited. They get over-worked and under-appreciated, etc.

Sometimes I understand why people accept mediocrity in their own work lives. You get treated like dirt if you work your butt off, you get treated like dirt/fired if you do a poor job. For some people, the only solution is to work just hard enough to get a decent living increase now and then, and to be left alone as much as possible.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'd like to blame the work ethic on the workers, but then you see how companies lay off thousands just to save a few bucks and I find it harder to blame them. If your employer doesn't care about you why do you care about the company.

That said I still can't believe how snotty CS folk are. Steal from work, leave the floor a mess, don't lock up I don't care. But as a customer I'm just another person not the boss that screwed you over. Maybe folk can try treating a fellow human being with some respect.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

That's actually a good point.

I work by myself though, so noone peer pressure to do average. Yep i'm the only employee, me and my boss, and i'm a sole worker!

My first boss motivated me like crazy, I went from a waiter at a Pizza hut, to the manager in three years. Worked my but off, made 250 a night in tips when I was a waiter, and strived for excellence, I have noone to thank but my dad and RGM for the motivation which stuck with me.

Although through a misfit stage in life, i've been knocked down to subway ugh.
I take it with as much seriousness though as a Manager though.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Histopherness
I'd like to blame the work ethic on the workers, but then you see how companies lay off thousands just to save a few bucks and I find it harder to blame them. If your employer doesn't care about you why do you care about the company.

That said I still can't believe how snotty CS folk are. Steal from work, leave the floor a mess, don't lock up I don't care. But as a customer I'm just another person not the boss that screwed you over. Maybe folk can try treating a fellow human being with some respect.

It's at the base, not about making more revenue for the corporation. It's about yourself, if you ever want to have your own business you have to be as good an employee if you want to be a good boss.

It's about building yourself up, not so much about the company. Savvy?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I had one of those misfit stages too, and the amount of things I allowed to get destroyed in my life is part of the reason I work the way I do now. I destroyed everything I was and somehow became a better person, and employee because of it. When you hit bottom, the only direction to go is up, and the only way to go up is to work for it. So that's what I did.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

What a huge Wendy's to have that many people working, yet not working. I'd just like to get the hamburger I ordered. I order hamburgers, not cheeseburgers. What is so hard about making an order of a hamburger with mayonaisse, pickles and onions? What compels these people to put on a piece of cheesefood?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

It was a relatively small wendys, one attached to the gas station when I was filling up, there was one couple in the restaurant, noone at the drive through, and me, just trying to visit family...and get some grub.

They looked like packed sardines.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Yep, I worked hard before, but it's grown even harder now because it can be taken away very easily, if you're not on your game hard enough.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Wow. Great. I have ordered hamburgers and asked if I want cheese on that. WTF? Did I order a cheeseburger or a hamburger? lol. Yeah, I know, the employees are pushed to ask this sort of thing. But am I the only one who thinks it's rather irritating to order a hamburger and asked if I want cheese on that? Duh. I didn't order a cheeseburger. Anyway, it's not that important, but just sort of irritating.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Something tells me that the point of the thread was NOT to bash on fast food joints. I worked in fast food for a year because there were no other jobs. The people there are only doing what they are told. And, honestly, do you wanna be a # to someone who is handling your food?

They are just there trying to pay bills like you do when you go to work. Unfortunately, restaurants are not the only workplace that suffer from poor work ethic.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Not to bash anyone, just for all workers in general do the best job you can do.

Not specifically fast food, just what has happened to the work ethic of people, what happened to striving, climbing the ladder or making your own ladder?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I love this thread S&F. Especially since i seem to run across the same lack of work ethic almost everyplace i go lately. It's not just fast food places, it's stores, restaurants, city offices, banks, etc.

I went to Kmart last week and the cashier (who happened to be a cashier supervisor) actually had me standing there waiting for her to ring me up while she was texting on her phone. I was seriously shocked at that one. Two days ago it was Walgreens, cashier was busy talking to another worker, so busy that she never said a word to me the whole time. When i had my first job 22 years ago you would've been fired on the spot for such poor customer service.

I would say that the blame has to be laid at the manager's feet. It's the manager's job to make sure that a business is running smoothly, the workers are doing their jobs, and the customers are being taken care of in a timely matter with respect by undistracted employees.

I believe another problem is that a good number of employees do not realize that it is ultimately the customer that pays them , and if they run off too many customers they won't have a job anymore.

I think the poor work ethic is more of a problem at large chains, that is why whenever possible i shop or eat at small family owned businesses, they still understand the need to keep the customers happy so they come back.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I know, i'm guilty of going to walmart too....

I try my best to go to family operated business', where they make you friends and feel good for coming there, not some addicted cashier at walmart whose to busy texting or whatever to help you.

Although sometimes in walmart I will ask an employee for help, and they go out of their way entirely to help me, I graciously tip them for being great at their job, and make them feel a sense of recognition for being a good hearted work ethic orientated person.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yes...

my work ethic is down right gone and I simply cant just wont do something because im told to do it...I always ask the follow up of why because my brain will not comprehend what im told to do unless it sees a end result and a reason FOR that end result...

I apparently come off as "brash" at work...

Outside of me though, I find it utterly amazing that we are all on this same evolutionary path! Its not just one two ten people out there...there are many upon many who are feeling this way, and not just regarding work ethic, regarding ALL the symptoms of this change we are going through...

I really wish we could all just have a conference to truely heighten the frequency of the rest of the ones who remain....

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Oh and the best way to sum it up in human terms...what you all are feeling right now is the realization of a system that soon shall not exist...

Its illogical to you...

You naturally have a tendency to not want to do something simply because "its what people do"

That is just apart of the evolutionary track and we decided to take the express lanes

top topics

<<   2 >>

join