It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ensigns parents paid 96k to his mistress and family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
You know this guy was on the way to sinking out of attention after the revelation of his affair with a staffer.... yet it appears that aint the ending of it... the hole goes deeper:

Sen. John Ensign's parents shelled out big bucks to pay off their son's mistress, the latest twist in an unfolding scandal that has upended the political career of the one-time rising GOP star.

The scandal has also touched Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), another prominent conservative, who revealed that he had confronted Ensign about the affair and urged him to end it, but says he will refuse to divulge any conversations with Ensign — even under inquiry from ethics investigators.

On Thursday, Ensign's attorney said that the senator's parents gave Doug Hampton, Cynthia Hampton and their two children gifts worth $96,000 in the form of a check. The attorney, Paul Coggins, said that each gift was limited to $12,000 and "complied with tax rules governing gifts."

www.politico.com...

It seems to me more like hush money than mere "gifts". What is behind the mentality of this? wasnt the affair enough...? especially regarding the husband is also a staffer of yours, and then your putting the womans 19year old son on the payroll and now its hush money.... ??eally now. Wasnt the affair enough? If this was an merely an affair that didnt go so deep this guy would be a one day news source.

Ensign and Sanford to name the most recent shockers... (excluding Palin as she is in a league of her own). Im just waiting for whats coming next.

Personally I dont think however that an affair or his parents paying 96 grand is enough for impeachment, because its got nothing to do with tax payer money, however ensigns stunt in putting the mistresses 19year old son on the payroll as an advisor should be enough for an impeachable offence. As for the SC republicans "hand smacking" of Sanford, well yes he didnt do anything impeachable, I say let the voters deal with him come 2010, however its amazing when you realize where these folks were during the Clinton affair.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
He had an affair.

Who cares?

Clinton played around with his intern and some other ugly chick and lied about it under oath. Who cares?

As long as they are doing the job they were elected to do they can poke a goat for all I care.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
These types of threads are getting old. So-and-so messed around... WHO CARES? You know what else, they never talk about the females, as if the wives of politicians are little miss innocent. Yeah like it's inconceivable that they don't mess around, what with all them fairly young, fit secret service boys hanging around all the time... You never hear about the other side of the coin, yet MORE biased BS from the MSM. Please. I wipe my hands of this stuff from now on.

Chrono

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chronogoblin
These types of threads are getting old. So-and-so messed around... WHO CARES?

If a politician is messing around with tax payer money, I care.

SG

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The mighty moral men can keep the dang thing in their pants.

OH the stench of hypocrisy smells like a lumbering elephant,

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by Chronogoblin
These types of threads are getting old. So-and-so messed around... WHO CARES?

If a politician is messing around with tax payer money, I care.

SG

Then the current administration must have you on caring overload. Hope the talk of a 2nd stimulus doesn't give you a care-attack.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Then the current administration must have you on caring overload.

Oh Im sorry did Obama put some womans kid on a payroll to continue his affair? Or are you talking about your dissatisfaction with his policies, which have nothing to do with this thread. Im sure the mob of teabaggers
would have posted another thread you can join in... over here stay on topic please.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
The mighty moral men can keep the dang thing in their pants.

OH the stench of hypocrisy smells like a lumbering elephant,

Its funny, when you confront conservatives about the hypocrisy of these elected officials they parade around, the excuse is always "oh im not republican, conservatives and republicans are different, blah", yet when these officials cause sh*t these folk are no where to seen. None of them have the balls to confront republicans with all the "two party" garbage they carry on about, because they know well that at the end of the day, behind those poll curtains they vote republican regardless.

Ensign and his 96 grand hush money.... what if the hole goes deeper with the other two.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I once had an old Arkie as a neighbor, and he told me of how his preacher would rant about the evils of alcohol on Sunday and sell moonshine the other days.

I've watched for 30 years the effects of the GOP pact with the devil, when they made "Christian values" part of their platform and consorted with the Right reverends whose brand of religion fit in very nicely with GOP politics and world view. The hatchet of moral highground cleaved this nation, with voters fearing eternal damnation if they voted otherwise.

Their brand of religious flavor made sure sinners could always be saved and reborn, making it nice for those politicians who sinned to be reborn and live for another campaign. Too bad for those who didn't think like they did...they would remain sinners and unfit to lead.

This affair had a twist, a payoff disguised as gifts. IMO Ensign could have made the "gifts" himself but had to resort to mummy and daddy for help in the scheme, to keep his hands and office clean. Well, maybe that's how they do religious business in Nevada, rant about adultery on Sunday and "help out" the aggrieved parties the rest of the week.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The whole thing becomes even more sinister as we learn that both Sanford and Ensign were members of an elite Christian fellowship called C Street, whose members (mostly Congressmen) knew all about their affairs and offered them support, and of course kept their secrets.

Honestly, I wouldn't care about these sex scandals except that the right-wingers are so self-righteous when it comes to other folks.

They tried to IMPEACH President Clinton over less than this.

When it's one of their own it's not important.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

...C Street...

Thanks, Sestias, now I won't sleep tonight!!

What's really sad is that for all the years this has been building up in the GOP, because of the forced lock step, "punish members who don't tow the party line", mentality of the party, those moderates who should have spoken up couldn't or wouldn't. Moderates haven't been listened to at the national level since 1980.

Elected members/party pundits left in the party who are seen on national tv are what used to be called extreme right, if not downright "kooky".

[edit on 12-7-2009 by desert]

new topics

top topics

join