It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Mason Party in 1800s?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In the 1800s, the Anti-Mason party sprang up in America. It was a sort of grassroots political party and didn't gain a stunning amount of support. However, its primary purpose was to root out Masonic influence in the government.

Sooo...
This conspiracy stuff isn't so new.

What, back then, would have caused this suspicioun? I know that a fair number of presidents have been members of Masonic lodges. The United States wasn't overwhelmingly Catholic at the time, so I can't generalise and say that it was the vaguely anti-Catholic stance of the Masons at the time that instigated such a sentiment.
My guess is they probably perceived Masonry to be occult in nature. Hmm.

Does anyone have any ideas what would possibly result inthe formation of this political party? I'd be interested in knowing if they ever got anyone elected, either.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The simplicity of a search, look and you will find.

en.wikipedia.org...

I suggest you do that first then ask questions.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mauskov
In the 1800s, the Anti-Mason party sprang up in America.
What, back then, would have caused this suspicioun?

The same sort of things that cause it today. It was an "Ohmygod! A Secret Organization!!! They have to be up to Something Sinister!!!!!" reaction in a few people that led to them proclaiming the Masons were a danger to everything and were going to take over the world in a few years.

In addition, this was fueled by one of the very few homicides where Masons apparently punished one of their own for revealing secrets. Rather than seeing this as an isolated incident, the anti-Masons saw it as an insidious global plot.

The intellectual climate at the time was one of extreme nationalism and extreme independence and people with attitudes like some of our more extreme militia groups (racists with rabid fear of government policies of any kind) were far more common, especially since the literacy rate wasn't what ours is today (it's easy to fool a partly literate person by interpreting a complicated news story for them) and the availability of global news wasn't equal to ours.

Add to that a more strongly religious climate, and you get a real powder keg.

I know that a fair number of presidents have been members of Masonic lodges.

I'd be interested in knowing if they ever got anyone elected, either.

Not to any major office (state or national), and as far as I know they never managed to be more than just a fringe nutgroup with little power.

(BTW, love your avatar. That's *exactly* how I feel when someone pops a calc problem at me)

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mauskov
Does anyone have any ideas what would possibly result inthe formation of this political party? I'd be interested in knowing if they ever got anyone elected, either.

The Anti-Masonic Party was the first large �third party� in the U.S. It was formed as a result of the so-called �Morgan Affair� that erupted in Batavia, New York in the early 1800�s.
The disappearance of William Morgan led many in the area to believe that he was murdered by members of the Batavia Masonic Lodge. The facts are scarce, and historians are divided on the issue.
We know that Morgan arrived in Batavia in the 1830�s, and falsely claimed to have been a Captain in the U.S. Army in the War of 1812. He appears to have been an habitual drunkard, and would not hold down a job, nor provide for his family. It also appears that he attempted to scam the Masons in order to receive charity.
Apparently, he had blackmailed an acquaintance who was a Mason into vouching that he (Morgan) was a Mason. This allowed Morgan to gain admission to the local Lodges, and also to collect Masonic charity (his claim that he was unable to work due to injuries incurred in the war was eventually shown to be a lie).
A group of members of Batavia Lodge petitioned the Grand Royal Arch to form a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons. Morgan�s signature appeared on the petition. Upon investigation, it was found there was no evidence that Morgan was a Mason, and the request was denied.
The Batavia Lodge then refused to admit Morgan to meetings. He was uncovered as a scam artist, and emotions began to run high.
In retaliation, Morgan threatened to publish a book revealing the Lodge�s secret rituals. This would be both revenge against the Lodge, and another money making opportunity. To make a long story short, he appears to have been kidnapped from a Batavia jail after having been arrested for a bad debt, and disappeared.
It is almost certain that he was kidnapped by members of the Lodge. Whether or not he was murdered remains a mystery, and his body has never been found.
His book was eventually published, but it was not an original work, it was a plagiarism of a French expose on Masonic ritual, which had been in print for over 50 years. Also, his �widow� did not believe he had been murdered, and was re-married to a Mason. It is possible that he was murdered, but is also possible that he skipped town to escape bad debts, and used the kidnapping as an excuse.
We�ll never know for sure, but this incident caused the formation of the Anti-Masonic Party, who believed Morgan was killed. They put candidates in office in he northwest, but were not successful nationally. They ran a candidate for President, but were defeated by Democrat Andrew Jackson, a Mason. Eventually, the Anti-Masons merged with the Republicans, and the present-day evangelical, right-wing, ultra-conservative branch of the Republican Party is the product of the Anti-Masons.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
(BTW, love your avatar. That's *exactly* how I feel when someone pops a calc problem at me)

Thanks

I have a love affair with math. Calculus, in particular. It is an integral part of my life. (Har, har).

On a more thread-related note: I am fully aware that I can go to google.com and punch in a few letters and have a good million+ webpages at my disposal. However, I am interested in hearing from other ATS-ers their thoghts and impressions on the Anti-Masonry party. You can read up facts all you want, but as for opinions and analysis, it's best from individuals.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by mauskov]

top topics

join