It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys Recognize Poor Grammar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
source

Previous research in cotton-top tamarins had shown that the animals can understand basic grammar, for instance, identifying which words logically follow other words in a sentence.

But that same study, published in the journal Science in 2004, found that monkeys did not understand complex grammar, such as when words in a sentence depend on each other but are separated.

While that study suggested monkeys were deaf to complex communication, the new research shows that tamarins can grasp at least one advanced concept: prefixes and suffixes.

That's pretty interesting. Tamarins seem to understand the concept and proper use of prefixes and suffixes. It's amazing to see how much humans have in common with the other primates. I wonder if this is a recently evolved ability, or if it's just a newly discovered one. Either way, this is a fascinating discovery.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
That is pretty interesting.

If we took the time to interact with animals properly, would we be surprised to find that they can communicate with us more than we thought?

I think so

[edit on 9-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I thought it was pretty cool. It's nothing ground-breaking or world-changing, but it's nice to talk about something that doesn't involve a conspiracy now and then. And I agree, we may just be amazed at how well we can communicate with other species if take the time to try.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
"Previous research in cotton-top tamarins had shown that the animals can understand basic grammar, for instance, identifying which words logically follow other words in a sentence."

Funny how some homo sapiens can't do that much...

Honestly though tamarins are awesome. You can donate money to benifit specific species of tamarins at the WWF website.

New world monkeys are my FAVORITE form of primate. Tamarins and tarsiers, and lemurs, are the best.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Oh

I have know this for a long time... from ATS

They always point it out to you when you hit the Win in a debate.

new topics

top topics

join