It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Leader Laughs at Idea That House Members Would Actually Read Health-Care Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

In fact, Hoyer found the idea of the pledge humorous, laughing as he responded to the question. “I’m laughing because a) I don’t know how long this bill is going to be, but it’s going to be a very long bill,” he said.
source

This is disturbing. I wonder how many other politicians are adopting this same lackadaisical attitude toward legislation that's going to affect us all. If this is any indication, the pledge by senators and congressmen to read all bills in their entirety is looking like a pipe dream. These people make me sick.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is turning into a fad on the hill. Make a long hard to read piece of legislation that is impossible to understand or read and you've got a winner that they will line up to sign without any understanding.

Is this really the way it was meant to be?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I want everyone to be nice.
He's a politician.

He doesn't know HOW to read.

If he did he'd have a real job.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Don't these idiots get it, we pay them to represent us!!! That means to READ the stuff before they vote. What's so hard to understand about that? Maybe we should start paying them per page read, or better yet not pay them at all.

Star and flag

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Is this really the way it was meant to be?

No, this is TPTB doing their job. This is going to begin happening so often that people will stop noticing. When that happens, they're going to slide something through that will make the Patriot Act look like a day at the beach.

reply to post by mikerussellus

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Maybe we should start paying them per page read, or better yet not pay them at all.

Sounds like a plan to me. They don't seem to understand anything until we start screwing with their money, I say let's go for it. Thanks for the S&F.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
They are not meant to be read - no one person could read them in the allotted time - the idea is to have an executive summary and then aids read the bill and and assess pertinant areas for further consideration - have some perspective people.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

To quote a fav band of mine.... "Sad but true"

I'm sure they are counting on this and there will be a few goodies buried in somewhere.

How about two for two?

" Some bills are like a box of chocolates.. you never know what your gonna get".

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

Yeah but somehow I think that concept is out the window. We can get an idea of how well that worked with the stimulus bill.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Maybe they should be tested on how well they know/understand the bill and if they don't pass they should forfeit the right to vote on it, be financially penalized and removed from office if it happens more than a certain percent of the time. They need to be held accountable for their actions.

Is dereliction of duty grounds for impeachment?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Great idea! The only thing I would be worried about is who is administering the test. Find an impartial party to handle that end, and that's the best plan I've heard regarding what to do about these morons in quite a while.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

If they aren't meant to be read, they shouldn't be proposed, or should be proposed as smaller, separate bills. There's no excuse for not know exactly what it is you vote for.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm seriously considering writting a 2,000+ page bill about nothing and trying to sell it to my congressman. he'll probably go for it when i say it will screw the taxpayers over harder than the bailouts.

And about halfway through the bill i will put this in.

Any member of the house and senate that doesn't read all the fine print and doesn't stop screwing over the taxpayers will be stoned to death on the capitol steps by an angry mob of my choosing

anyone want to help write it and sell it to congress?

[edit on 7/9/2009 by Mercenary2007]

[edit on 7/9/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Some 70 year old lady in Canton, Ohio receives complaints from her constituents about sagging pants and she addresses the complaints. She is ridiculed and called racist. But meanwhile, serious things that affect all of us are ignored, and laughed at. Where am I going with this? I really don't know, but something is seriously amiss here. Laugh, laugh, laugh. You lost. Get over it. And, by they way, you don't have the time to read and analyze it all. But if you vote no against it, you are a demon.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
I'm seriously considering writting a 2,000+ page bill about nothing and trying to sell it to my congressman. he'll probably go for it when i say it will screw the taxpayers over harder than the bailouts.

It would pass. Do you know the history of the microstamping of ammo? Some guys invented the process, then peddled it to some Congressmen with the idea that their procedure should be a law. They will be making some serious bank when it passes.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
We need to flood this guy's office with tons of calls.
He needs to feel the heat.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Sounds like a plan to me:

The Staff at the Washington Office is here to take your calls, faxes and e-mails about specific issues of legislation that are important to 5th district of Maryland constituents.

1705 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone - (202) 225-4131
Fax - (202) 225-4300
source

[edit on 10-7-2009 by TheAssociate]

top topics

join