It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is happening with California earthquakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Today I stumbled onto some news items that suggest that certain seismic activity in California may be the precursor of a massive earthquake. Check out this Reuters article, for example, or this one from Mercury News.

Last I heard, there wasn't any good way to predict earthquakes; but now they're claiming that one might be coming. Anyone know how this is possible? Should I be buying ocean front property in Kansas?

[Dang, I posted this into the wrong forum. Any way for me to move it?]

[edit on 7/9/2009 by chiron613]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
you can u2u a mod,

interesting stuff, i wonder if California is gonna be hit by something big, and like you said, how is it that they can some how "predict" this one?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Easy to predict something if your the one doing it

HAARP....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Mods must be sleeping in on Sunday AM.

This is interesting that they are calling for a large earthquake though, because the Earth has been relatively quiet lately. Normally I will look at the USGS world earthquakes map which shows quakes of 4.5+ over the past two weeks. The number shown is usually between 170 and 210 depending on how active Earth is during that period. Early in the year I recall it always being around 200 or more, but the past few months it has been lower. It is at only 158 today.

I wonder if this is part of the prediction they make. If many small/medium quakes are not firing off, then maybe a large one is building? OR the Earth is settling for a bit and things will just be quiet for awhile?

I don't think there is any sure-fire way to predict quakes, so time will tell. It has been very quiet though.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
You cant predict when an earthquake will hit. Like saying expect one on Tuesday or wednesday. But you can through various observations make the claim that there is a high possibility of one happening.

An earthquake in Cali would be the last thing that state or the fed govt wants. There is no money for it, they are damn expensive things to rebuild after and the overall toll on the economy is huge since many businesses will about out of commission for a while.

Of course if your goal is to cause as quick a bankruptcy of the federal govt as possible a few natural disasters like this will sure help out a lot.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Hi Chiro 613,

Earthquake precursors tell when, where, magnitude and depth well before a destructive earthquake strikes. Location and depth are extremely easy to determine. Magnitude takes a little more time in order to determine. When, is only determined hundreds or thousands of miles away hours, days to over a week in advance. Simple stuff.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Here's a result of an earthquake in the San Diego area Saturday morning. Squid washed ashore right afterwards. Interesting to say the least.

www.lajollalight.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
idk but i'm in california right now so that would suck if it hit this month.

eek

top topics

join