It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panel Says ALL Teens Should be Screened for "Depression"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Panel Says ALL Teens Should be Screened for "Depression"

www.prisonplanet.com

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has issued a new recommendation, published in the journal Pediatrics, that all children between the ages of 12 and 18 be regularly screened for the symptoms of major depressive disorder (MDD).

The new recommendations surpass those of most doctors’ groups — which advise screening high-risk youths only — and even those of the of the American Academy of Pediatrics, which recommends only that doctors ask teens about depression, rather than giving them a full screening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I really don't like the sound of this. It sounds like one more step toward government brand children. They want to step into the role of the parent to make sure that children are raised they way they think they should be. I don't have kids, but if/when I decide to father some, I want to be the one making these kinds of decisions. I don't need the assistance of some pill pushing bureaucrat.

TA

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here is the source article for those who don't like Alex Jones.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You sure can find out a lot about a person, especially a teen, being screened regularly. More personal data for the database and how about the probability of the screenings convincing these teens that they are indeed depressed? What would these "regular screenings" consist of? Sorry, my response is so choppy, I just don't like the sound of this at all.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

They should pay me to do the screening. You don't
need a battery of test; just ask them.
I could tell them 7 out of 10 kids are depressed.
And why not....their hero's are bought and sold like meat.
Kids have been forgotten except as just another consumer.
Honor and everything meaningful has been trivialized.
What kind of future do they have to look forward too?
War and more war, poverty and sickness.
Quality education only for the wealthy.

Damn, now I'm depressed.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That panel needs to be screened for immediate psychiatric problems.

Idiots.

Stay out of people's lives, unless they want, need or ask for help!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
That's a bit of overkill there isn't it. Let's take a look at the symptoms of depression:

• Sadness, anxiety, changes in eating or sleeping habits, hopelessness, irritability, isolation, moodiness, negativity, poor grades, risk taking, substance abuse and death wishes or suicidal thoughts.

Now, let's take a look at typical behaviors that apply to all teenagers at some point during their teenage years:

• Sadness, anxiety, changes in eating or sleeping habits, irritability, occasional isolation, moodiness.

And the ones that don't apply to all, but still apply to quite a few:

• Negativity, poor grades, risk taking, and substance abuse.

The only ones that don't apply to your typical teenager are death wishes, suicidal thoughts and hopelessness. So what is the goal here? To turn the next generation into a bunch of zombies that don't know how to function without taking a pill every day for depression?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna So what is the goal here? To turn the next generation into a bunch of zombies that don't know how to function without taking a pill every day for depression?

I don't know what the goal is, but my bet is that the kids will pretty much operate just like their parents. Drinking to excess, taking mind altering meds, and indulging in risky behavior and wondering why everything is so screwed up.

Hey, this generation is pretty much teaching the youth what tune to dance to.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

So what is the goal here? To turn the next generation into a bunch of zombies that don't know how to function without taking a pill every day for depression?

It certainly seems that way. Reminds me of the movie THX-1138. Pretty soon, it'll be mandatory to take your happy pills or face the consequences.

TA

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Probably. Makes you wish all the parents of small children, or teenagers for that matter, would grow up and raise their kids instead of acting like children themselves.

reply to post by TheAssociate

I hadn't heard of "THX-1138" before but it sounds like it's similar to "Equilibrium" with the drugs to control emotions. And it sure does seem like that's what they're aiming for doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The pharmas are going to have at it if this idea ever passes.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Btw depression and anxiety are NOT mental illnesses; they're neurological conditions. Habits that are learned from early ages and habits that can be broken if starved.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hermantinkly

The pharmas are going to have at it if this idea ever passes.

Yeah, I don't doubt for a second that the pharmaceutical companies have a hand in this. Get this signed into law, convince everyone their teenager is going to kill himself, watch the money roll in.

TA

top topics

join