It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Maybe "Holy"?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OldThinker

First of all, I've read all of the posts... I know this is an old one, but it's still a good topic and hasn't fully been discussed (IMHO).
One thing should be cleared up. I think maybe some of you have the term "in vain" improperly understood. What it means when you do something "in vain" is that it was for nothing, it was not fruitful. So when a person says "Jesus" or "God", but isn't actually calling on Him, they are doing so "in vain"... they aren't trying to get His help.
Also, I find it interesting that so many of us were raised by people who used these terms of anger, fear, what have you. Personally, my mother was one to wash my mouth out with soap if she even found out from someone else that I had said a curse word, but would regularly curse "like a sailor" out of fear when she was driving and got frustrated. Sometimes she would even say, G** D*****. Nevertheless, I have only cursed once since I got saved at 13. I was a young mother, had my little guy in the car, was pumping gas, and it kept coming out after the tank was full... I freaked out and blurted out the s-word. I have not taken the Lord's name in vain in any capacity because to me, He is worthy of that respect.
That being said, I think the reason a person (at least in Western culture) is so quick to say these things is, 1) (as many of you concurred) it has been said around you and has become a "normal" part of your language, and/or 2) you do not hold the position of God or Christ to a standard of reverence.
I agree with the person who posted that God is not a name, nor is Christ. They are both titles. God is a general term for a being who is named after the things He does (i.e., Jehovah Jireh [God the Provider], Jehovah Rapha [God the Healer], etc.) or is (for example Jehovah Shalom [God of Peace], Adonai [Lord], Elohim ahavah [Love]).
Christ is also a title. It means "messiah" (deliverer).
I found it interesting that in Norway, Satan and Hell are used as curses. I suppose that actually makes more sense, as Satan often brings bad things to people and Hell is a place that anyone who truly understands what it is doesn't want to go.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I don't have all that much to add. Thinking of older generations, I think the logic is that Jesus wanted us to give glory to the Father...
edit on 10-7-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

new topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join