It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wondered why “JESUS CHRIST” is a ‘curse’ word?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by watsgoingon?
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

guess-i-killed-this-post??

peace

dash man!!!!!!

Nah, I'm still here...been cutting grass for a few days...my John Deere needs an overhaul....kept stalling....and no I never said "JC" in a non-prayin way...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonamousantichrist
personally i do not consider "jesus christ" to be a cuss word. although, i wonder if other characters from past popular mythos/belief systems had similar issues.

None I can think of....maybe its because they didn't split time and all, ya know BC or AD...oh...BCE right?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by semidiablan
It is quite odd as I believe I do it out of habit. I don't believe in "God" per say...but I often say "Oh my God!" and "Jesus!" when surprised. Maybe it is conditioning? I wouldn't say it if I hadn't learned it from others.

Wow, now that was transparent semi...

Great response!!!

He 'believes' in you tho

OT honored!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Cookies huh? (avatar)

Double dark chocolate, OT bet's....

Low carb, too

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

How'd you know??? LOL! You know me! Even in the land of seriousness (ATS), I gotta stay in touch with the humor in life! All but one of my 13 ever rotating avatars are funny or sarcastic (heavy on the sarcastic, I'm a Scorpio). If you fail to see the humor in life, you're missing the point of living!

*I'm also guessing that the Divine enjoys a good laugh! Ever seen a platapus? Sweet lapdancing Ares! Now that's comedy!*

I think the one poster had it right, though. I think the use of JC as a curse word (using inappropriately) has become an ingrained conditioning in our society. Just parroting what we hear without really giving it any thought. The question then becomes, how can it be undone?

I have another question that maybe the non-US members might be able to answer: Is this just as prevalent in other countries and in different languages? If so, is it found in countries with a minority Christian population? In countries with no Christian population? Information necessary to truly discover the root and spread of the phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Accidental double post. Apologies.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I have another question that maybe the non-US members might be able to answer: Is this just as prevalent in other countries and in different languages? If so, is it found in countries with a minority Christian population? In countries with no Christian population? Information necessary to truly discover the root and spread of the phenomenon.

JR, think all those non-Americans are asleep? (sarcasm)

Seriously folks, inquiring minds want to know....

Think maybe the "Jesus Christ, I can't find my keys!" is really a spiritual thing? And not cultural as some have argued....

OT

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Please. No more Off Topic banter, or this thread will be closed.

Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics is a forum dedicated to serious thought, not Chit Chat banter.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The whole taking the lord's name in vain thing... saying his name doesn't mean anything. Taking the name in vain, is exploiting the name for personal gain, such as the crusades, or jihad, or quoting (or misquoting) ROMANS 13 to get people to listen to and obey the government, like Hitler did, and they are now training priests to do in the US.

THAT is makes you a blasphemer. Not just exclaiming "jesus christ!" or "god damnit" when you stub your toe...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I just had to post here. I didn't yet read the OP, but I have stopped that line of thinking altogether. To me words are just words, How in the H*** can somebody get offended by a simple word spoken? I mean really I mean of course unless it' directed at calling someone a foul name, why shoul F&*** SH**** D*** H*** BI*** Whatever offend someone if only said as a colorful adjective, or to imply anger/pain/or frustration. As long as it's not directed towards a person, it's just another word. Not a name. Not a way to make someone feel inferior. Why are these words even considered "foul language"? Who determined this and why?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by resist2012
The whole taking the lord's name in vain thing... saying his name doesn't mean anything. Taking the name in vain, is exploiting the name for personal gain, such as the crusades, or jihad, or quoting (or misquoting) ROMANS 13 to get people to listen to and obey the government, like Hitler did, and they are now training priests to do in the US.

THAT is makes you a blasphemer. Not just exclaiming "jesus christ!" or "god damnit" when you stub your toe...

I'm sorry, what does 'speech' today, have to due with the death of thousands in the ancient past?

OT

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I just had to post here. I didn't yet read the OP, but I have stopped that line of thinking altogether. To me words are just words, How in the H*** can somebody get offended by a simple word spoken? I mean really I mean of course unless it' directed at calling someone a foul name, why shoul F&*** SH**** D*** H*** BI*** Whatever offend someone if only said as a colorful adjective, or to imply anger/pain/or frustration. As long as it's not directed towards a person, it's just another word. Not a name. Not a way to make someone feel inferior. Why are these words even considered "foul language"? Who determined this and why?

ok ldyserenity,

Jesus Christ! Did you read the OP yet? because your post missed the point....no prob, cause you didn't read the OP...

OT

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
its late so hope my sentence structure is ok...

curse words to me cover anything that limit yourself from growing into newer areas of life.
when hurt someone would yell or groan to confirm the amount of pain that they are going through.

coping through pain I would yell with the same intensity of my suffering. it took the pain that I felt and turned it into something perceivable to myself and others, the sound, pitch, volume, length, tone (shy and muffled less intense, angry and detached) , etc.. all the little details told me what I was going through even though I already knew. in intense emotion it can get hard to think properly cause our emotions change our whole perspective when we remember, perceive, and think to a point where we can totally lie to ourselves.

I think that words said in reaction to negative stimuli are relayed so that we can emotionally cope with pain.
for instance

saying f**& could imply something unexpected. since it is unexpected it would be best to move on.

saying S*#! could imply something that was forseen but in disbelief over.

saying "jesus christ" could imply that you wish there was a another possibility for positivity, jesus being what jesus is could convey to people a sense of love, forgiveness, godliness.

there are lessons in all of life. with lessons comes mastery, mastery consist of what is perceived at the moment (kinetic energy of the now reality, and the potential energy of possibilities that derive from previous experiences.) and what is made perceivable.

regret is calculated by perceived energy (possibilities) that is not manifested.
possibilities = mastery x perception

when we ask others such as jesus christ (leaders, physical stimuli, anything you depend on) to take away our regret, we forget how to cope with life ourselves.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
w

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
People tend to curse under one name regardless of their religion Jesus Christ. Why do they not say for Buddha sake or Allah sake or any other name. I believe the answer to this is simple you cannot rebel against something that is not within you in the first place (Holy Spirit within all of us)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The reason people use the name of Jesus is this, it is a spiritual matter involving satan, Christ and the person using this name in a disrespectful way.... Since the bible says that the name of Jesus is a name that is above every other name, and.... that at the name of Jesus one day every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord ...and that there is no other name under heaven in which men can be saved but the name of Jesus, ... who by the way is King of Kings and Lord of Lords...

Satan uses people who are in darkness who do not walk in the light and are easily deceived , to belittle , drag thru the mud... curse with ... the name of Jesus,,..one of his ways to cause people to sin and desensitize them to that name which by the way is PRECIOUS to true believers....satan uses people to get them to sin and belittle the name of the Most High at the same time...

we will all step out of time and into eternity.......whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.

not whosoever uses that name to curse with.....

now you think about that

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockketman
The reason people use the name of Jesus is this, it is a spiritual matter involving satan, Christ and the person using this name in a disrespectful way.

Yah? So what's the H stand for...as in "Jesus H. Christ"?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
People also say it out of anger.

Its context could have a few meanings. Like asking for restraint/help from hurting an idiot, or somewhere along the lines like "give me a break God". Or "God kill me like your laws did your son."

Or, even being shocked or surprise. Much like Holy Crap.
edit on 27-6-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join