It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Friends" Say Farewell: Are you sad or mad?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
(CNN) -- "Friends" parted ways with viewers Thursday evening, with the cast moving out of their rent-controlled New York apartment, each leaving behind a door key. CNN

What did you think about the farewell? The series?

I was never a huge fan, but the retrospective did make me think about the past 10 years. The 90's. And Generation X.

For me, I mainly resisted the show when it initially came out because I was a recent grad then, early 20's, on my own, stuggling...and as a member of the core group the show was trying to capitalize on...there were too many disconnects from my own experience.

My friends were ugly. Average at best. And even the ones that looked good then, don't now 10 years later. And the apartments we had...yikes! Nothing like those flats. Plus what's with the coffee? We drank... heroically. And instead of everything getting easier and easier, life got harder. Friends got cut out. Buildings fell on some. Some went to war. People bought and lost homes. Filed bankruptcy.

And why are they all better off than they were 5 years ago? Who the hell in our age group is better off than they were 5 years ago?

I know. I know. It's a fantasy. 9/11 never happened. A high school grad can go from waitress to fashion executive. And magic faeries pay your rent for you while you sex and coffee away the day.

As for the finale...big yawn IMO. Ross and Rachel have about as much chemistry after 10 years of that back and forth stuff as water and oil. Joey is probably the first character in TV history to actually get more one dimensional as time went on. Phoebe seemed more and more forced over time. Monica and Chandler were probably the best characters...though Chandler should have been an alcoholic/addict on the show...like he was in real life.

What did you think?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I was more upset when 'Cheers' ended.

I am already worried about going into shock or coma or something if and when 'The Simpsons' has it's last episode. I have a feeling that day will officially mark the end of life as we know it.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Joey is probably the first character in TV history to actually get more one dimensional as time went on.

youre exactly right. my problem with friends and most modern US sitcoms (im talking about you will and grace you pile of crap) is that the characters are so easily definable; theyre cardbord cutouts of emotions rather than believable people. this was a major problem with friends because as it went on, the characters all turned into a bizarre personification of kookiness.

the only good thing about friends is that it provides hangover relief when happy beautiful people in their happy beautiful lives is about the only thing i can cope with.

cheers was indeed much, much better.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I never saw a single episode.

Did I miss anything?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I never saw a single episode.

Did I miss anything?

Very little.

The only thing about the show worth remembering was Joey's Catch Phrase, "How you doin'?" (With a nod, a Smirk, and Cheesy Italian Accent.)

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My gf wanted to watch it last night so we did. It was humorous, but the show never really grew on me so I couldn't care less. My gf however disliked the ending, but couldn't say why.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
I was more upset when 'Cheers' ended.

Cheers and M.A.S.H. for me I could care less about Friends.

Can't believe I forgot Seinfeld

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by KillerD]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I could care less about friends but I miss Seinfeld, MASH, Cheers, The Andy Griffith Show, and Star Trek the Next Generation.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I never watched Friends until about last year. I've seen just about every episode via the fantastic variety of channels thats airs it all day everyday. Incase you didn't note that, it was sarcasm.

Eventhough the show was horribly unrealistic (not that tv shows are supposed to be), I did enjoy it because it made me laugh, and I enjoy laughing.

Last nights episode was overrated though, I felt. It tied up ends nicely enough, but the only really heartfelt touching thing to me was the very end, when they set their keys down and walked out as what they had become, giving sort of a stark contrast to what they were in the beginning.

Anyhow, just my opinion, I'm sad to see it go because it did make me laugh, but then like I said, there's reruns on all the time.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DamnableSara

Last nights episode was overrated though.

Most of the sitcom farwell episodes are lame in my opinion.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I watched it with the misses who cried most of the show away but I thought it was a little forced much like the last Seinfeld episode. I'm just glad they didn't try and touch base with all the characters who'd ever made an appearance on the show.

The Sein was my favorite and I still get my daily fix through the sindicated series but it was time and it was past time for friends. Rants right about a few things and thats the lifestyle they lived. They did more socializing in one show than I do all year.

I will admit that "How you doin'?" is cool and entertaining.

I'll say one thing for Jennifer Aniston. Its not often you see a beautiful actress with the angst of Lucille Ball and although she overdid it at times, ya kinda get the idea she meant to..sort of like Lucy.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If fighting's about 10 on my love scale, then Friends is about 7.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I saw some of the episodes they were funny but i never actually got into it.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Im not mad or sad...im glad its gone...i hated that show.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It had its humorous moments... I liked Pheobe and her stupid songs like Smelly Cat....

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have a love/hate relationship with friends. Glad it's finally over, should have ended ages ago, they get paid way too much !

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yep, it should have ended ages ago (and for me it did)... The finale was a pretty big let-down. Seinfeld remains the king of finale episodes...while Newhart (oddly enough) was pretty clever with it's finale as well....

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I really liked friends, and although it was tied up nicely, I think the characters' story plots had been drawn out to much. I mean, Joey and Rachel, what the hell was that about??

Cheers was good
, but since I'm only 15, re-runs are all I've ever had.

P.S- Please, do not knock Will and Grace, it's hilarious; come on, Will gettin his groove on with Kevin Bacon? Classic!

P.P.S- you do realise Joey has a spin-off show come out soon, don't you?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm reminded of an ancient orcish saying.

"Nub kare"

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I thought friends was funny sometimes. Not really sad or devastated its over though. Although I do like it alot better than american idol, temptation island, survivor, real world, and all that other reality television BS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join