It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Drone Targeting Tech Revealed, Qaeda Claims--Innocent Lives Likely Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c4329223eade.jpg[/atsimg]

American drone strikes are finding their targets in Pakistan through a series of infrared homing beacons, Al Qaeda alleges in a new online publication.

The pictures of the “chips with 9 volt batteries” provided in the book (see photo, above) bear a sharp resemblance to the Phoenix and Pegasus models of infrared flashing beacons made by Cejay Engineering. The devices are used by the U.S. military, among others, to identify friend from foe, mark drop zones, and outline perimeters.

The gadgets use LEDs, powered by a 9 volt battery, to emit beacons of infrared light that are visible only through night vision equipment. A six-second memory can be programmed to flash in Morse-type codes and other sequences. The lights can be seen at “distances of over five miles and can also be seen through clothing and underwater,” according to one distributor. from a distance of up to five miles. They can weigh as little as a half-ounce, are as small as an inch-and-a-quarter, and have a battery life of nearly 100 hours. The Phoenix family of infrared beacons have been in use since 1984, making them the “the most widely used electronic Combat ID system in the world.”

American Predator and Reaper unmanned aircraft are both equipped with infrared cameras, making such beacons a natural drone signaling mechanism. And because the devices are relatively simple and cheap — less sophisticated models can be purchased online for as little as $25 each — they can be handed out to informants, without fear of compromising clandestine, sophisticated American technology.

In April, 19 year-old Habibur Rehman made a videotaped “confession” of planting such devices, just before he was executed by the Taliban as an American spy. “I was given $122 to drop chips wrapped in cigarette paper at Al Qaeda and Taliban houses,” he said. If I was successful, I was told, I would be given thousands of dollars.”

But Rehman says he didn’t just tag jihadists with the devices. “The money was good so I started throwing the chips all over. I knew people were dying because of what I was doing, but I needed the money,” he added. Which raises the possibility that the unmanned aircraft — America’s key weapons in its covert war on Pakistan’s jihadists and insurgents — may have been lead to the wrong targets.
www.wired.com...

This technology sounds so simple and easy to use, and yet deadly, considering many innocent lives may have lost by guys just throwing these infrared devices on any house in a neighborhood.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Another good example of bad American Intel

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by IHasAHalo
Another good example of bad American Intel

I thought the article was rather powerful.

I had no idea that random folks would be recruited and offered cash to just name guilty/innocent folks by placing these drone batteries on their houses.

The US military doesn't care to check-out the credibility of the folks named apparently.

Instead, BOMB AWAY!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
“The money was good so I started throwing the chips all over. I knew people were dying because of what I was doing, but I needed the money,” he added.

If so, he's a murderer. Far worse than the drone operator.

No way to know if that's the truth. It sounds like propaganda to me, he was under duress.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah MOFreemason, it must be true because he said it in an interrogation with Al Qaeda. I'm sure Al Qaeda would never make a captive say any propaganda against the U.S...it just isn't their style.

Sorry, I created an account just so I could respond to this absurd thread.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Many other weapon systems are cancelled in favor of Drones.

top topics

join