It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Try and Interpret God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Why, why why. Is it ego? Do they have some godlike mind and know what god is through empathy? Have they seen the whole picture? Where they there from the beggining?

I drives me mad when people say God is this or that, like they know and are so insightful or something. Grrrr

So what's your take on this? Is it even right we try and interpret what God is? Surely to do so is to apply human charactoristics to God? Surely any attempt to do this is futile.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I know the father. The father is within and is what gives you the ability to observe or understand anything. Without the father within, you would be like a robot.

But in all honesty, one will not understand unless they find the father. Wisdom and understanding is what the father gives to those who find him early.

However, you should never accept what I, or anyone else says about the father. Why settle for less than your own personal experience with the father? If you accept, then you deny yourself of the understanding.

Because what good does me knowing the father do for you? Does it give you understanding? No. All you could do would be to accept what I say, and you can obviously realize that is foolish.

Proverbs 8

Proverbs 9

Proverbs 9

6Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

7He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.

8Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

9Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

It's not about acceptance, it's about understanding. Don't sell yourself short, or settle/accept what other people say. Find out for yourself.

[edit on 7/9/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I can say a few things about God.

God is loving.
God does care for us.
God can heal the sick.
God has power over evil.

These things i know through knowing God and the relationship i have with him.
Through the things that i have done in the name of Jesus.

You have to have a relationship with him to know him....

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

I drives me mad when people say God is this or that, like they know and are so insightful or something. Grrrr
I do not think God is knowable directly.
His Son, Jesus, made known to us on earth his Father. The Holy Spirit, God gives us, brings us the understanding of Jesus that we need to know.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Ok i understand the OP/

she's talking about the know it alls right?

Well look, take me for instance. I promise on my life that I have NO wisdom without God. I truly suck without God.

God gave some of the wise men and saints back then graces, which means he increased their understanding, not in a know it all way, but to explain to souls where God is coming from.

since the holy spirit dwells in souls, it's like a teacher enters the soul and fills it with knowledge and the mysteries of the faith

this is why we have communion in my faith because he enters us through it.

But yea in person the know it alls are annoying, and as for me in person, I'm very silent. I like to follow the leader.

peace.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Why do people try and interpret, other peoples interpretations of God???
Which is all that Humanity's religious writtings really are!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Why not? People strive for information and answers and the only way to get those answers is to think, wonder, and try to interpret whatever they find. I mean, your post implies that you yourself has tried to interpret God. You make it sound like God is too much for humans to understand, but how do you know? Maybe God isn't. Maybe God is the simplest thing in the universe and anything animate or inanimate can grasp it.

Probably, nobody knows the answer, and the only way to find out is to die. Or maybe not even then. Maybe nobody will ever know or maybe there is no God. However, according to some philosopher (I can't recall his name) "If I can think it, then it must exist." So, maybe everyones interpretations of God are correct.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pharaohmoan
Why, why why. Is it ego? Do they have some godlike mind and know what god is through empathy? Have they seen the whole picture? Where they there from the beggining?

So what's your take on this? Is it even right we try and interpret what God is? Surely to do so is to apply human charactoristics to God? Surely any attempt to do this is futile.

Yes alot of it is Ego thats for sure.. Everyone likes to think they know the BIG questions..
But honestly non of us know for sure.. We only have small bits and fragments of the whole..

For me personally, God is tyring to figure itself out through all the life God created.. Hence is why we all have our own views.. As all views are right in one small sense.. all our thoughts of this God, would be in essence just a part of God..
Thats my take on this... So I don't like to say anyone is All wrong.. Or all right.. We each have a little bit of God within us.. God made us.. So we are parts of the fragments...

Or like a computer program running off our collective mind.. Every thought creates one small fraction or block of information..
And when all humans and all living things in this whole universe process their own little personal truth.. ITs then logged in the master File which to some is God..

But honestly thats just my small fragment that I offer to this world..

So try not to get so upset.. Just know non of us really know all that God is.. We only know very very very small fractions of fragments..

Lots of us living beings here in this universe.. Remember we are just one little Mote of dust in the solar system..
Our solar system is a mote of dusk in a Galaxy..
And a Galaxy is a mote of dusk in the deep feild...

Thats my little way of saying I know nothing... But enough to be a part of this universe.. And as little as it may be.. IT counts..
We are all part of this! The good the bad and the ugly!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Another reason is that most people are not simple sheep, who believe everything thay are told.
Take the Holy Bible for example: A collaboration of books which at times convey totally contradictory principles.
The same can be said for religious factions; preach one thing- do another.

It is these contradictions that make thinking individuals, explore their own feelings and make deductions. This leads to a personal interpretation of God; rather than one spat from the mouth of another mere human.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Why would you have an emotional attachment to what another person "thinks" of GOD ?

The only reason I can think of is it does not fall within your interpretation of GOD or spirituality.

”what i say belongs to my own understanding. how can that benefit your mind’s eye?”

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
wow OP...simply wow

a short statement that sums up absolutely what I believe and what I think is truth. I have listened to this BS about knowing the mind of God from all sides. Christians, Pagans...all of them are equally guilty of this IMO. I think that what is happening or what needs to happen is that a person should research and find their truth. When they do they can stick with their faith and what they believe the higher power to be. I always enjoyed the line in Dogma (Kevin Smith movie) when an angel asks the girl do you believe in God? Her reply is no...but I have a good idea

I think all we have are ideas frankly. I have my ideas of what Isis is but I'll be darned if I ain't been wrong before and could still be now.

Well said...great topic!

can't give you S/F here...how about a free Coke?

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
my beliefs on the matter is neither hear nor there.

people always try to interpret things they don't understand, its easier for their subconscious to dilute information and make it into something that is easier for them to comprehend and make sence off. Its human nature to question things, its also human nature to interpret details into something that fits along with their belief system, i always find its not always healthy to have a debate with believers or non believers as both 100% have very valid arguments but unfortunately a sensible debate it does not make 90% of the time as it falls into a farce and bad feeling which is a shame.

Its easy for an individual to break down something unbelievable into something that makes sence to them but for some reason when someone else who has broken down that same information into their own beliefs the battle lines get drawn as not everyone likes to be told what they believe in is wrong, i say each to their own, everyone has their own way of dealing with things and i for one wont try and swing anyoen round to what my belief structure is, and im always willing to listen to other peoples interpretations are, but not everyone is able to do this for some reason.

new topics

top topics

join