It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Charles blasts consumerist society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The quest for unlimited economic growth is unsustainable and could bankrupt the environment through climate change and depleted natural resources, Britain's Prince Charles said on Wednesday.

Charles, next-in-line to succeed Queen Elizabeth, said a new economic model must be found because the Earth can no longer support the demands of a growing "consumerist society" where growth is an end in itself.

People must realize they are not "the masters of creation," rather just one part of a fragile natural world, he added.

"Just as our banking sector is struggling with its debts... so Nature's life-support systems are failing to cope with the debts we have built up there too," Charles said at a BBC lecture at St James's Palace in central London.

"If we don't face up to this, then Nature, the biggest bank of all, could go bust.

www.reuters.com...

True statement but I find it odd coming from a "royal". Nice to see he is aware that there are problems but is it just a ploy for the sheep to expect a change in lifestyle or a sincere belief?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well, it's easy for him to say.

He already has his pile.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yeah I agree with the OP. The Brit Royalty really has no place attempting to school us on over consumerism.

Especially not little old prince Charles.

I mean it's bad enough he married a horse, and now he wants to be crusader of our ridiculous spending as well. He should just keep to his Castle and hope the old lady goes soon so he can take the helm and have more inbred relatives.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Prince Charles is very well educated and knowledgeable about contemporary issues.

It should not surprise anyone that many rich people can also see the injustices in the world and want to do something about them. We have such rich families in the United States.

Prince Charles is using his privileged position as a platform for meaningful social change. IMO he is right in what he says.

It's not reasonable to hate people just because they are born to wealth and privilege. They might still have something of value to contribute.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
dam lizard breaths, feeding off the taxpayer. living in endless luxury and says that?

Maybe he should give up the mony robbed from every taxpayer in britain if he feel that way?

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well when Charles gives up all his worldly goods, and his 1/3 of the earths land mass they own to help feed the poor.

I will listen to him.

[edit on 023131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

He doesn't own 1/3 of the worlds land.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm not surprised by this. The Royals are very well aware of the things that plague society. However they remain out of the public spotlight to maintain the hearts and minds of the masses. This is just what we should expect to hear.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
From all that I've read about Prince Charles in the past, he's always been a longtime proponent of sustainability, organic farming, and a return to traditional (non-modern) ways. He doesn't own 1/3 of the world's land or anything close to that much.

I agree 100% with what he said (in the OP).

Quit being such a conspiracy nut for a minute and consider that this guy might be a caring human being with a unique opportunity to voice what he believes in.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The royalty have no right to tell us what to do or preach but this was different.

In the speech PC was expressing many things not often expressed on mainstream TV. He touched on his philosophical beliefs, he talked about enlightenment, looking deeper into life, looking for answers.

He spoke of a 'true life' and how humans have lost their way.

I hate the idea of a royal family but Charles mentioned many things people on here strive for... The actual meanings of his speech, the implications on perception of life and relationships to a true nature... they were things I never thought I would hear someone with 'power' or high status say.

Forget the main environmental angle designed for the MSM and general public, look at what he was saying, his words gave deep insight into his mind. It was a good moment, for sure.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It is really simple. The Royals must have the support and hearts and minds of the masses at all times. If they don't then things could go very wrong for them.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadugen
From all that I've read about Prince Charles in the past, he's always been a longtime proponent of sustainability, organic farming, and a return to traditional (non-modern) ways. He doesn't own 1/3 of the world's land or anything close to that much.

I agree 100% with what he said (in the OP).

Quit being such a conspiracy nut for a minute and consider that this guy might be a caring human being with a unique opportunity to voice what he believes in.

The traditional non modern ways he and his want to return to is feudalism, where they own the land and a few surviving genetic lowlifes do menial labour on it so he has fresh vegetables. His vision of the world only has place for himself. He might not own 1/3 of the world (my guess is that belongs to the Rothschilds), but he has way more than his fair share.

He's a parasite and has no place lecturing anyone and even though he might make the odd valid point behind it is a self serving agenda of parasitic manipulation.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh! The prince of playtex has spoken!
All rejoice! Hail! The man who wished to be a "Camillion" tampon.

Everybody listen to this seer of truth, explorer of people's common reality, saint of the fortified!!!

I haven't got enough saliva in my glands to spit in his direction nor was I born with enough middle fingers.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
You all would do well to remember that Prince Charles is the highest ranking Mason in the world.
And who exactly is running the world?
The big corporation whose owners are also Masons.
And just who is manufacturing all those products that we are "consuming"?

It is not only Brits who are supportin the royals.
The US is still paying them for the debt of our so-called "revolutionary war".

Between the Rothchilds and the Royals it is debatable just who is controlling whom.
At one time the Royals ran the Jews out of Britain
Then the let them back in and let them run the finances/banking.
We might also include the Vatican & the Jesuits in the mix.
The Queen and the Pope are of equal rank in the world.
The ranking system?
Self declared I would assume.
They all claim to be of a special bloodline.
The forged document known as "The Donation of Constantine" gave control of the Roman Empire to the Pope. And thereafter the Pope had the audacity to declare that he and he along had the power to crown the Kings. I have wondered why they put up with this.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Charles is not a Mason. In fact, he has commented that he will not join.

Further, there is no such thing as 'high-ranking Masons'. All Master Masons are equal. It does not matter how many other Degrees are conferred.

That having been said, Charles may say all of these things, but I have a hard time swallowing it, considering his lifestyle. I am not an anti-Royalist, just anti 'Do as I say, not as I do'. I have the same contempt for Al 'Private Jets and Huge Mansion' Gore.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
OK, here's the thing.

"By the way, Prince Charles Coat of Arms has another symbol--The Order of the Garter. The Order of the Garter is the parent organization over Free Masonry, world-wide. When a man becomes a 33rd Degree Mason, he swears allegiance to that organization, and thereby to Prince Charles. The Bible gives us 42 signs of the Antichrist"

Prince

Apparently it is his Mother who is the Head of Freemasonry.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What a lot of chutzpah. I'm almost positive neither he nor his parents nor his children are deprived in any way. Hypocritical moron...give your stuff away.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Charles is not a freemason because the freemasons are much lower on the totem pole than the Royal Family. The Queen is the highest of the order however, you can't get much higher than that.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Yeah I agree with the OP. The Brit Royalty really has no place attempting to school us on over consumerism.

Especially not little old prince Charles.

I mean it's bad enough he married a horse, and now he wants to be crusader of our ridiculous spending as well. He should just keep to his Castle and hope the old lady goes soon so he can take the helm and have more inbred relatives.

~Keeper

Why do they waste all that money on the upkeep of there mansions if they are so worried about it?

The message is good except it's a " Do as I say , not as I do " type of comment that does not deserve any respect...

Would mean more coming from a poor man....

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

The Order of the Garter has nothing to do with Freemasonry.

There is no 'overall' head of Masonry. All Grand Lodges are equal.

top topics

join