It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football Great Steve McNair's Death scares the HELL out of me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Story: www.neworleans.com...

What do we expect from our athletes, those select individuals whom we revere ... those that we place on pedestals and sing homilies to their eminence?

We expect excellence. We expect greatness. We expect success.

In this internet-driven, instantaneous world, we expect perfection to be wrapped up in a neat, tidy package and provided to us in hour-long televised blocks of professional sport.

For many, it works. It worked for Steve McNair, who came out of tiny Alcorn State and found pro football success while stockpiling admirers through his humble demeanor and legendary work ethic.

But sport is simple. Life isn't.

Life doesn't fit well into the consistent rectangle of a television set, hence the wasteland of reality shows polluting the airwaves. Life doesn't have a scoreboard and nobody keeps statistics that really matter.

Life in McNair's case is a secret life, a messy affair, a down-the-tubes marriage, a much younger woman who decided that a gun provided a solution, and an ugly, ugly end game.

How many times has this happened? The reality: More often than not.

Most sports stories don't end as tragically as that of McNair, found on Independence Day with four bullets riddling a body that accomplished superhuman football feats. But seemingly, many of our beloved sports figures are rolling over and exposing the dark underbelly that is real life.

Well I know the Bible is very very clear on the results of “sin.” Stuff like “beware, your sins will find you out.” And we “reap what we sow.” And “when sin is conceived death results.”

I say that as a reference point where OT is coming from, not to spark a religious debate…my point/questions are…

1) What is it about stardom that blinds us to bad decisions?

2) How can some at that “level” remain grounded?

3) What lessons can be learned here, from these two deaths?

4) Think this bothers me so much because OT used to be athletic?

5) Have you told your significant other what they mean to you since?

The whole event is tragic...for him, the mistress, the families, the children, etc...the scars will never heal...or atleast be forgotten....truly a sad day for all...

Thoughts guys?

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

More:

The wife of slain quarterback Steve McNair may have only learned about the gridiron star's affair with a gorgeous young woman after the clandestine couple's grisly deaths, sources close to the football player said Sunday.

"She's blindsided by this," one source said of Mechelle McNair, who was holed up in her family's home just 6 miles from the condo her husband used to bed his mistress. "She's crushed. Her whole world is shattered."

link: www.nydailynews.com...

Well it looks like his wife knew nothing....hard to believe, though...

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
While I think he was a gifted athlete, he fell prey to the same thinking that people of celebrity always seem to...

1. Celebrities surround themselves with people who stoke their ego, most of these people do not have the celebs best interest at heart, they only want what they can get while said celebrity is riding that wave of popularity.

2. They don't buy into all the adulation and adoration.

3. Don't cheat on your spouse, this woman shot him because she felt she deserved what his wife already had, legitimacy.

What does celebs in is believing the hype, they are no different than anyone else in reality, but hangers on elevate them to such lofty positions, that when they fall, it's almost always a fatal fall.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadbang
While I think he was a gifted athlete, he fell prey to the same thinking that people of celebrity always seem to...

1. Celebrities surround themselves with people who stoke their ego, most of these people do not have the celebs best interest at heart, they only want what they can get while said celebrity is riding that wave of popularity.

Yeah, good point...I was thinking I wonder if the NBA/NFL/MLB/etc.. leagues have some type of 'celebrity training' to warn/coach/help these young ones to stay alert and make good decisions?

Seems like if they would learn a few key points they could avoid much of this...I dunno?

Thanks for answering the OP !

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Sadly, I am one of many people who has lost respect for this great athlete. What he does in his personal life shouldn't be anyone's business, although it is. That simply goes hand in hand with celebrity status.

Despite myself, I am horribly disappointed to hear of his actions. Equally shocked at his death of course. I feel absolutely terrible for his wife. Not only is her husband dead but she also has to reconcile the fact that he was a sleaze bag who betrayed her. Not with one but two women on the side? My heart goes out to her.

This country is obsessed with celebrities and it has to stop. These people are revered for no legitimate reason! Put up on pedestals for their talents, which are really no more fabulous than any other behind-closed-doors gifted person. Simply because they are exposed to the public, we are supposed to accept them as role-models and expect their behavior to be above that of an average citizen???? Are you kidding?! It's ridiculous. No other country in the world behaves this way. It's embarassing and frivolous.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
Sadly, I am one of many people who has lost respect for this great athlete. What he does in his personal life shouldn't be anyone's business, although it is. That simply goes hand in hand with celebrity status.

Despite myself, I am horribly disappointed to hear of his actions. Equally shocked at his death of course. I feel absolutely terrible for his wife. Not only is her husband dead but she also has to reconcile the fact that he was a sleaze bag who betrayed her. Not with one but two women on the side? My heart goes out to her.

This country is obsessed with celebrities and it has to stop. These people are revered for no legitimate reason! Put up on pedestals for their talents, which are really no more fabulous than any other behind-closed-doors gifted person. Simply because they are exposed to the public, we are supposed to accept them as role-models and expect their behavior to be above that of an average citizen???? Are you kidding?! It's ridiculous. No other country in the world behaves this way. It's embarassing and frivolous.

Good points....but, or should i say...'and' the inverse can also be true in a positive way...where I live the NBA players do so much for the community, outreaches, etc...these men help so mnay, kids dying with cancer...wish foundation, etc...

I guess the old adageis true...to whom much is given much is required...

hero worship, for the adult of course is futile...

Thanks so much for your thoughts....

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
He was a good athlete, his girlfriend was a psycho hose beast.

He had an affair, so what? I had one also and I ended up divorcing my wife and marrying the girl I was cheating with. Sometimes you end up with the wrong person.

I don't see why anyone would lose respect for him simply because of that. You respect him for his playing ability, not his personal life.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
You fly with wingnuts and you're going to get hit. Remember Phil Hartman? Told his coked out wife he was going to leave her then went to bed. Not very smart.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
He was a good athlete, his girlfriend was a psycho hose beast.

He had an affair, so what? I had one also and I ended up divorcing my wife and marrying the girl I was cheating with. Sometimes you end up with the wrong person.

I don't see why anyone would lose respect for him simply because of that. You respect him for his playing ability, not his personal life.

ooouucchhh!

the ole psycho hose beast.....scarry!!!!

Agreed, people change...that's understandable....

altho deception really never leads to goodness...

Why can't I (anyone) respect an athlete/construction worker/ for being kind outside of their occupation? It really isn't either or here...

Thank you for the post there!

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You fly with wingnuts and you're going to get hit. Remember Phil Hartman? Told his coked out wife he was going to leave her then went to bed. Not very smart.

That's deeeep sleeep for ya!

OT (with one eye open!)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You don't know anything about his personal life. So how can you respect it? For all you know in private he was the biggest S.O.B. to ever walk the earth.

Deception has been good for me. I am happily married with our first child on the way.

Maybe he was unhappy in his marriage as I was. I don't know and neither do you.

What I do know is that he was a great athlete and for that I respect him.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You don't know anything about his personal life. So how can you respect it? For all you know in private he was the biggest S.O.B. to ever walk the earth.

Deception has been good for me. I am happily married with our first child on the way.

What I do know is that he was a great athlete and for that I respect him.

I respect your opinion...but is "knowing" someone a requirement for respect?

I never knew General Patton....Michael jackson

I don't know Tony Dungy....

Yet I respect all three...am I gulible, maybe?

Regarding deception...I'll just say...glad your love life worked out....

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

How are you going to respect someone you don't know?

Patton- We pretty much know everything about that man. His life has been disected many times.

Jackson- I can see respecting his music.

McNair- Besides seeing him on the field, you know nothing about him.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

How are you going to respect someone you don't know?

Patton- We pretty much know everything about that man. His life has been disected many times.

Jackson- I can see respecting his music.

McNair- Besides seeing him on the field, you know nothing about him.

I guess respect is my DEFAULT....

Burn me once, shame on you...

Burn me twice, shame on me....

I'm a glass half-full ole dude...

OT

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Niether do I? Of course I don't...did I say I did? Do? Wouldever?

No judging from OT....ok?

Smile bro!

new topics

top topics

join