It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UK) PM ready to negotiate Trident cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

(UK) PM ready to negotiate Trident cuts

uk.news.yahoo.com

Britain is ready to negotiate on reductions to its Trident nuclear arsenal at multilateral non-proliferation talks called by US President Barack Obama for next spring, Prime Minister Gordon Brown has indicated.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
well here we go - the UK reduced to a `dont hurt us` costal defence force who are worried paper cuts might get them sued.

force reduction down to likely 3 boats , with 2 at sea, with warheads down a similar amount as well - given that the UK also got rid of free fall weapons - it will happen that the UK will get rid of all nukes sooner rather than later

ho hum.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/7/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
YAY! - the UK assumes the position and makes a new sign inviting customers...

Without the nukes we are just a load of chavs with a few that like to pronounce things analy

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think stopping the production of new nuclear weapons is more important then reducing the stockpiles of nations who have had them for years and never used them. There are a number of countries, mostly in Asia, who are not only keeping their stockpiles but are rapidly building new more powerful weapons. There has also been a new member to the nuclear club with North Korea and this will likely lead to more countries wanting to acquire nukes. It's not the UK's nuclear weapons we should be worried about IMO.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hmms maybe he could scrap Trident all together and give our boys and gals the right equipement they need.

This to me is Article sensationializing grabbing. Anything Moron Brown says nowadays holds no credability with memat all.

I am actually disgusted that he is scottish. Enough said I think, The quicker he is gone the better....

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why would you be so quick to shed your Strategic Deterence?

I think to have an effective deterence you need a minumum of 4 SSBN's assuming 1 at sea, 1 in refit, one in preparation for deployment, and one in training. That way you have a constant rotation and the ability to surge 3 out to sea in times of crisis.

I agree however, if you kill off your Tridents AND you carriers, you become basically a frigate navy with a very limited ability to project power beyond yout territorial waters.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why would you be so quick to shed your Strategic Deterence?

I think to have an effective deterence you need a minumum of 4 SSBN's assuming 1 at sea, 1 in refit, one in preparation for deployment, and one in training. That way you have a constant rotation and the ability to surge 3 out to sea in times of crisis.

I agree however, if you kill off your Tridents AND you carriers, you become basically a frigate navy with a very limited ability to project power beyond yout territorial waters.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The way things are going not only will trident be scrapped but most likely the second carrier as well, apart from the typhoons and type 45's most of our equipment is well out of date leaving us in a worse condition than we were in 1939. Before to long we will be lucky if we even have the TA left to defend our shores

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Because we are governed by retards who have bankrupted our country meaning we can no longer really defend ourselves let alone protect our territories any more

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Get ride of the idiots in Gov right now, we might see a change, bu I would not hold our breath, agrees they have, really screwed us over. We will be paying for thier mistakes over that next 20 - 30 yars. While our boys and gals out there fighting, suffers as a result.

Completley inforgivable

Every death of a soldier out there or any of our other armed forces individual I blame it squarely on the present government. Yes is kinda upset but anyways. I am ranting ignore me lol.

cdi

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
it is not going to happen. we may seem to be seen in leading the world in reductions of nukes but without the 'mad' state of things, we will be sitting ducks for any other nation with an axe to grind. eventual possible scenarion will be reduction of numbers of mirv's carried on patrol to appease those that need it.
cdi

new topics

top topics

join