It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TinWiki: Al-Qaeda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Al-Qaeda otherwise know as The Base or The Solid Base is an international alliance of Islamic militant terriost organizations founded in 1988 by Azzam but there are still some who believe Sayidd Qutb and Ayman Zawahiri also played an intrical part of its creation after the Soviet War in Afghanistan. Al-Qaeda has attacked many military and cilivian targets all over the world, most notably the September attacks in 2001.

More than two dozen nations have labeled Al-Qaeda a terriost organization.

Al-Qaeda characteristics include use of suicide attacks and simultaneousness bombings of different targets. Due to its secrecy, it's size are difficult to establish.

Invented Name

The orgins of the name Al-Qaeda is still in dispute, however many have speculated that Al- Qaeda was born in the jail cells of Egpyt where a man named Sayidd Qutb, an Eqyptian spent many years locked away from civilization at the request of King Farouk because of Qutbs radical islamic beliefs and hatred for the western world especially the United States.. Al- Jihad, The Islamic Goup(founded by Ayman Zawahiri), and the Muslim Brotherhood formed the core of the Islamic movement and were the building blocks to Al Qaeda. Writer Adam Curtis contends that the idea of Al-Qaeda as a primary organization is primarily an American invention. He states that Al-Qaeda was first brought to American attention in 2001 trial of Osama Bin Laden and the four men accused of the 1998 United States Embassy bombings in East Africa.

Actual Name

The name appears in an Executive Order in 1998 by President Bill Clinton but with the spelling al-Qaida. It was part of the organizations listed associated with Osama Bin Laden. Documents seized from the Sarajevo office show that the organization was August 1988. Al Qaeda did have a few direct predecessors that were known as The Ikhwan created by King Abdual Aziz and Takfir wa Hijira(excommunication and withdraw)and its leader was known by the name of Shukri Mustafa a veteran of the Egyptian concentration camps and follower of Sayiid Qutb.Mustafa had many followers know as ahl al-kahf "people of the caves" referring to the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus.Many of these early Islamic radical groups were created to further the fatwa against the western world and eventually becoming Al- Qaeda.

Chain of Command

The organizational structure is still unknown. But testimony from a former member sheds some light on command. Osama Bin Laden "The Lion" is the 17th son of Mohammad bin Laden and is currently the Senior Operations chief who is guided by a oversight council. The number of people in the organization is also unknown. But, the nationality of mostly all of the members is Arab.

External Links

url=http://www.tariqjamil.org/Forum/how-i-found-islam/inside-the-real-tablighi-jamaat/0/]Inside the real Tablighi Jamaat[/url]
Al-Qaida

Related Discussion Threads

Al Qaeda 'Planning Euro 2008 Attack
Purported Al Qaeda Video Shows Prisoners Burned Alive
Al-Qaeda in Iraq laeder caught

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Great info for tin wiki! I do have a question though, I was wondering if you knew if this was true or not....I read somewhere that Al-Qaeda was the name of a computer program used by the CIA at one point in time. I've never been able to find out if that was true or not. Thanks for your time!Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freeyourmind1111

Hello, here is one link that provides a source about the idea that Al Quaeda began as a CIA database:

secure.gn.apc.org...

I prefer the suggestion first raised by various sources in 2002 that Al Quaeda was created by Osama bin Laden as a spin-off of The Foundation series written by Isaac Asimov; bin Laden was evidently a fan of that series of books. Here's a link from The Guardian newspaper online on that:

www.guardian.co.uk...

My favorite book on the origins of Al Quaeda is still The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright. Here is a link to Wright's website, which discusses that book and includes book excerpts that can be read online:

www.lawrencewright.com...

It could be that the reason that The Looming Tower was such a bestseller for so long was that Wright was the only writer that bothered to visit so many of the locations in question and directly interviewed so many of the key players himself. Then of course he connected the dots.

Are there any other books on Al Quaeda recently that are as good as The Looming Tower?

[edit on 7/9/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

Wow,thanks for all the info Uphill! I look forward to reading it all, I'm gonna have to check out that book also.

new topics

top topics

join