It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newark Mayor Encourages Snitches to Turn In Gun Owners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Newark Mayor Encourages Snitches to Turn In Gun Owners

www.prisonplanet.com

The mayor of Newark, New Jersey, is offering $1,000 to anybody who anonymously provides information on “illegal guns” in the city. In a video on posted on the City of Newark web page, the “Honorable” Cory A. Booker declares guns on the streets are unacceptable and he is offering the cash incentive to snitches.

However, there is a very obvious problem with the mayor’s program — how will the snitches tell the difference between an illegal and legal gun? How will the police tell the difference between a gang-banger with an illegal gun and a citizen exercising his or her right under
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ci.newark.nj.us

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Perhaps it is just pure paranoia from the American citizenry that proudly stands by its 2nd Amendment "...right to bear arms," but it seems increasingly-often that governmental officials of all levels are trying to strip Americans of their basic Constitutional right to bear arms.

What is very scary about this type of "civic program," is that there is no distinction to differentiate ILLEGAL from LEGAL guns. Instead, the Mayor just strikes up a program for cash-hungry individuals looking to snitch on anybody that owns a gun, including law-abiding citizens.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Considering it's Cory Booker, one of the more corrupt politicians, I can understand how he would want to make his city another Third Reich bastion. He's just another in the long line of immoral, corrupt, graft collecting, manipulating, criminal elements that have run Newark in the last century. There are good people that live there but for the most part, there isn't enough of them to finally clean out that den of thieves and mobbed up city fathers. Considering that most, if not all, that cities gun laws are illegal and unconstitutional he can't seem to figure out that protection for his citizens has everything to do with the criminals knowing they have no deterrent to their behavior or the criminals lack of humanity!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This whole [snip] the Constitution" thing being perpetrated by the politicans is going to end very badly for them. Sadly, they just do not realize it yet. By the time they do, it is going to be much too late.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

The worst thing is.... if i was offered $1000 to turn in someone who i knew had a gun illegally (which i do), i would.

If it was one of my friends i wouldn't. But hell i don't even like the guy. Shame i'm not from AUS xD.

Im not an ass, im just saying that this would probably work.

When they find who has the illegal guns they can then find who supplied the illegal guns.

Im all for protecting ourselves against foreign and domestic tyranny, but here in the UK gangs supply most of the guns (it would appear from my experience). So this means most of the people who have guns are related to gangs and that i dont want. Gives more of a reason for a police state here.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sloppy

The worst thing is.... if i was offered $1000 to turn in someone who i knew had a gun illegally (which i do), i would.

If it was one of my friends i wouldn't. But hell i don't even like the guy. Shame i'm not from AUS xD.

Im not an ass, im just saying that this would probably work.

When they find who has the illegal guns they can then find who supplied the illegal guns.

Im all for protecting ourselves against foreign and domestic tyranny, but here in the UK gangs supply most of the guns (it would appear from my experience). So this means most of the people who have guns are related to gangs and that i dont want. Gives more of a reason for a police state here.

For $1,000....absolutely!

And that's my fear here, how many of these cash-hungry folks actually know which guns are illegal or legal?

Seems like it's just another way to intimidate or make things uneasy for the law-abiding citizen.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Considering it's Cory Booker, one of the more corrupt politicians, I can understand how he would want to make his city another Third Reich bastion. He's just another in the long line of immoral, corrupt, graft collecting, manipulating, criminal elements that have run Newark in the last century.
Zindo

I would assume that if he did/does have a sordid past, he wouldn't be as interestd in keeping guns off his streets.

I don't know anything about this guy though.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
How will cops be able to tell? Guns in NJ are registered to thier owners...that's how.
NJ Gun Laws
If a cop gets called to a house falsely, guns registration can be run and sorted out. If the false call was malicious, false reporting charges can be brought.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'll make it easier for them. we all know this 'search for illegal' guns is just a cover in order to:

1. Catalog manually all gun owners in the country to the best of their abilities.

2. To see who will fight to protect their constitution, and who will be money-hungry, willing rats to side with the government.

3. The ultimate goal of disarming the public, so that any uprising can be easily beaten.

I always tell my brother "one man with an assault rifle can do wonders if you have no way to shoot back."

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
How will cops be able to tell? Guns in NJ are registered to thier owners...that's how.
NJ Gun Laws
If a cop gets called to a house falsely, guns registration can be run and sorted out. If the false call was malicious, false reporting charges can be brought.

I was unaware that "false reporting charges" could be administered to somebody.

That should certainly help crackdown on those just reporting any/all gun owners, hoping they strike gold with an actual illegal gun.

But, I do have to ask...as police are investigating a reported illegal gun possessed by a person (which of course has no registration), don't they have to search the premises and look around?

This ends up being intrusive to the law-abiding gun owner that may own legal guns, but not any illegal guns.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

In ANY crime, if the reporting person knowingly, and intentionally makes a false report against another they can be charged with filing a false police report.(My ex-wife can testify to that..). That being said with the rest of your questions, I would think that consent of the property owner or a warrant, or probable cause of a crime (other than possesion of an illegal firearm) would be needed to circumvent your right to unlawful search and seizure. However being a realist, if the call is in a high crime area or gang associated area, more than likely boundaries will be pushed.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They are talking about this story right now on the Alex Jones show.

Alex is out today, it's hosted by Jason Bermas.

Alex Jones Show

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Too bad there is no such effort to stop and arrest pedophiles, embezzlers, murderers, thieves, liars and drug importers, oh... I forgot... if we did that we would not have a government!

I grew up in NYC and only the thugs had weapons, even grown men were afraid to leave their homes because they were defenseless thanks to the efforts of gun grabbers.

This is nothing new to people who live up north, they care more about disarming people so that the scum can prey on them and feed the Justice System

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus

They will run away rather quickly, don’t believe the hype that they will take you down quick, as in the end they are just men like any of us.
Even if they can raise 500,000 men it’s still an almost impossible task.

They can’t control Iraq so how would they control the US?

However if you do give up your guns, mark my words “they will machinegun us in the streets”

They get tired, hungry, scared and angry just like any of us.
Hopefully it won’t come to that but we know it probably will.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I suggest that citizens there start turning in the Mayor. He probably has a gun and who knows whether it's illegal? Someone might just hit the jackpot and if nothing else, it will show how such a program can be abused.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Berens
I suggest that citizens there start turning in the Mayor. He probably has a gun and who knows whether it's illegal? Someone might just hit the jackpot and if nothing else, it will show how such a program can be abused.

Hey, not a bad idea. As long as there is some sort of immunity from a false allegation, if it can be somewhat substantiated, report him!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
One thing that is never mentioned by these grandstanding politicos is that:

THE ONLY ILLEGAL GUN IS ONE POSSESSED BY AN ADJUDICATED FELON OR DIAGNOSED MEDICALLY MENTALLY INCAPACITATED PERSON

No other weapon in the possession of a citizen is an illegal weapon, no matter what a mayor or city council believes is the case! Fact of the matter is, the only way to curb crime is to go after the criminal element and NOT making the rest of the citizens who exercise their 2nd Amendment rights become criminals by passing illegal, unconstitutional laws!

Zindo

[edit on 7/10/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I would think people in possession of stolen weapons would have to be added to that. Plenty of people have had guns stolen from their homes and those guns are then used in a crime. Someone not having a felony conviction on their record doesn't mean they aren't criminals.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
While I agree with most of the posts in this thread, I have to also state that Newark, NJ is quickly becoming as dangerous as Detroit and New Orleans.

The rate of crimes and gangs has grown exponentially in the last few years.

Booker was elected to change all of this -- and it's only gotten worse. This is their last ditch effort to reign in the rampant crime.

Not 15 minutes away from Newark is an area of great wealth. In fact, much of Newark is surrounded by it and unfortunately the crime is now spreading to surrounding counties.

With some of the highest property taxes in the country, many of the people are now leaving since the taxes are still going up but so is the crime.

Edit to add: I am in no way justifying our 2nd Amendment being nullified. I am just saying that frankly Newark does need some over-hauling.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
No offense to the OP, but I think the title to your thread is mis-leading.

I entered this thread thinking that gun owners period were being snitched on. I would want people to turn in illegal gun possessers (not owners, cause there not).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join