It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Baffled by Land Uplifted in Alaska - Nothing to Explain it

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Welcome to the dynamic Earth. Watch with love.

Many such events happen for reasons that are combination's of uncountable qualities and conditions of crust and deep crust events. This was a itsy-bitsy event of surface geologic dynamics.

Earth's geology is 95% a mystery. The core, the strata of the planet are only partially even 'guessed' at.

As of 2008, the deepest mine in the world is TauTona in Carletonville, South Africa at only 3.9 kilometers. That is depth relative to the skin on an apple. Below that, it is an assumptive educated guess at best.

As far as sounding or deep sub surface imaging all we have is from seismic data that goes through the Earth and is received by imaging equipment for very tenuous visual data. If you want to know more about this go here for a hint to how much we 'don't' know.

The Earth is active all the time and we have so little information about subsurface features other than different densities and some anomalous features that we are likely only 2% smarter than we where 100 years ago.

There are unsubstantiated, or otherwise, classified information where massive underground caverns where found and likely 'used' by government agencies of darker data retained. Deeper mines, mining and tunneling machinery used by such have some better information and likely research methods, but to release this information is to reveal the methods and above top secret classified technologies used, so we are not getting that soon and will stay dumb to that end.

This is why I am hoping we can accept the possibilities for extraterrestrial/trans-dimensional intelligence we have tons of evidence for. Then, when we can accept contact and intelligently seek direct contact and knowledge exchange we will amplify our understanding of ALL subjects to unimagined levels. So work for that cause! Until then all we can do is muddle along, groveling for understanding, scratching our butts, picking our snozzez and slinging our waste out of the cage of an uneducated and sensation addicted society.

I am satisfied to experience such fascinating events as this and the beauty and mystery of this living world, and will of course approve of and watch for new understanding from the study of such geologic events by our current sciences. Such as they are.

Other than that, to attribute such a small geo-effect to such 'global' or 'astronomical' implications are fairly useless unless you enjoy such blue-sky speculation. Yea, could be true, but then the probabilities is infinitesimally small.

Sorry for the wet towel.

By the way, California's San Andreas Fault is showing a bit of unusual activity according to USGS scientists. I say this living less than 300 yards from the Hayward fault which is the most active fault in the continental United States. It is more likely a threat it is said than the San Andreas. My 200 year old building is essentially kindling if the 'P' wave hits from that. In reality we have no idea what will go first. These or major faults in very deep ocean areas causing worse effects to shorelines. FYI

ZG

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hi Get Ready Already,

Here is your quote: "As far as life adding mass or size, the life eats up supplies from here to gain it's size and then deposits it right back. The coral and trees are eating up resources from right here, so it is a neutral action, there is no gain or loss."

Let's see my friend. I put out about 2500 pounds of seed. That 2500 pounds of seed will bring in over 1 Million pounds of food on 80 acres. I would say that is a lot of gain. More matter was added to the ground in seed and resulting crop residue not to count the poundage of that one million pounds of food that will turn into fecal matter of maybe 10th of that 1 million pounds. Eighty acres is nothing compared to the rest of the worlds land mass and its other production of life matter.

Look at the size of a pine seed and then look at the size of the tree it makes. The water was already here on the planet that fed that seed and created the tree, but the matter it created that was not water never leaves the planet. That tree may catch on fire and turn to smoke, but that smoke still weighs as much as the tree no matter how great of an area that the smoke finally falls onto.

Its just like the old money making joke which goes like this.... I'll bet you $20 I can tell you how much the smoke from your next cigar weighs. Some people take the bet. Then you tell them lets weigh the cigar or cigarette first. Then they smoke it and then they finish it. You weigh the cigar or cigarette again and you have the exact weight of the smoke which most people think is impossible to weigh smoke.

Be good my friend.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

Yes - Thank You! That's my point, we're 95% cluless and the only fools out there are the ones that think we're not.

When I did my dissertation one of the three idiots that were judging me had done hers on how to properly write an objective. It was so asinine to me that I asked her what she really did it on because I thought she was joking. She wasn't.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Parallax, you insist that the Earth is not growing/expanding.

Since you have studied geology you surley then can understand the info on this site:
subduction

Now then, about your studies.
Are you assuming that your professors and the authors of your texts are infallible?
Have you ever questioned their wisdom?
If not, why not?
New discoveries have all been made by questioning old ones, you know.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It is possible there was water forced under there, pushing it up. Or forced under somewhere else that pushed it up.

It may not be recorded because they machine may simply not be working.since it is by the shore, I am opting for a water situation.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Are you saying that plants "make" matter from nothing? Any idea on the processes for that? I know the process of photosynthesis creates the energy needed for the plant to grow, but I didn't think it created matter from nothing.

So my basic plant knowledge tells me that the roots of a plant absorb nutrients from the soil, which then gets contributed to the plant matter.
The majority of plant matter is water, right? Now that is constantly being added to the soil (unless your in a desert). Where does the matter come from, if not from the soil?

Regarding the OP, the thing I don't get is that an event of this magnitude (small in geological scales, but still a sizeable event) would create at least some detectable seismic movements, no matter what the cause was. Unless it was a gradual process, in which case... ahh who knows

I guess we'll have to wait for a decent assessment of the area.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Curious and Concerned]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I am not an expert on this subject. However I studied geography, and chemistry in high school.

From the report it sounds like the entire crust was raised. Which leads me to suspect a pressure from the upper mantle has forced the area up.

The affected area is said to be near ocean. This leads me to believe river formations have created a weakness in the Earth's crust, that has allowed a build up of pressure such as a gas bubble caused by a radio active hotspot, to push the section of the crust up.

Rivers cause erosion and weaknesses in the top soil and bedrock of the earths crust. In this circumstance it is possible that the weakness in the crust has allowed a pressure from the upper mantle (gas bubble e.g.) to escape. As it rises the land is taken with it.

scientists should test for any unnatural chemicals in the ozone and ocean near the land.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaraThustra
reply to post by ZeroGhost

Yes - Thank You! That's my point, we're 95% cluless and the only fools out there are the ones that think we're not.

When I did my dissertation one of the three idiots that were judging me had done hers on how to properly write an objective. It was so asinine to me that I asked her what she really did it on because I thought she was joking. She wasn't.

Good story. Explains you anger. But it's misdirected.

Get revenge. The best way is to be successful.

If you cave into ignorance when you're young you'll have no future.

Learning how to deal with people's shortcomings to your advantage is a big component of life.

Never let your bitterness eat away at you.

Chalk it up to a useful lesson and move on and up.

Mike

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
After looking into RussianScientists link en.wikipedia.org... , it contains what a few have mentioned already regarding the melting of ice sheets, and the earths crust 'rebounding' after the weight has been taken off. Heres and excerpt from the link as follows:

Isostatic effects of ice-sheets
The formation of ice-sheets can cause the Earth's surface to sink. Conversely, isostatic post-glacial rebound is observed in areas once covered by ice-sheets which have now melted, such as around the Baltic Sea and Hudson Bay. As the ice retreats, the load on the lithosphere and asthenosphere is reduced and they rebound back towards their equilibrium levels. In this way, it is possible to find former sea-cliffs and associated wave-cut platforms hundreds of metres above present-day sea-level. The rebound movements are so slow that the uplift caused by the ending of the last Ice Age is still continuing.

I'd say this seems to be one of the more likely causes. Does anyone know if the area affected was once covered by an ice sheet?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Hi Curious and Concerned,

Yes plants do absorb nutrients in the soil, but... plants don't need nutrients. It has been proven over and over in studies that plants can and do make their own nutrients at times; and it is an unexplained happening that is scientifically proved. Studies of watering plants from seeds on up to adult plants with nothing but pure water proved that the plants still had the same elements within them.

No there is no detection with common seismic systems of such events as this. Similar stuff like this occurs all the time and none of it is recorded by common seismic. On the other hand if you use piezoseismology, then the graph shows it while it's being created and it shows the growth whenever growth is occurring.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Ice is what i said on the page before this..... why does no-one listen to me? I didn't even need to look it up from some Scientist website!!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I'm completely sure its a natural geological occurance but just to stir the conspiratorial mix a bit more....Maybe it was a runnaway TBM that caused the uplift?

Personal Disclosure: I remember Mt St Helens bulge growing at a rate of meters/day and so this sudden land rising doesn't suprise me as possible.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned

I'd say this seems to be one of the more likely causes. Does anyone know if the area affected was once covered by an ice sheet?

No it wasn't.

And in any case isostatic reajustment tends to affect a large area, not a tiny stretch of beach.

This was clearly a very minor local event, of geological curiosity but on a global scale as significant as a shower in Berlin is to global warming.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Oh boy, so now the scientists who disagree with the global warming hoax agree with the believers?... please...

BTW, what proof do you have? oh yeah computer models, meanwhile dozens upon dozens of research from all over the globe refute the AGW claims.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
[edited for double post]

[edit on 12-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

They always have

climatesci.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Dude...because a COUPLE of scientists agree in part with what you believe, it doesn't make ALL of the scientists believers in anthropogenic Global Warming....

For crying out loud Essan....

BTW, there are several of the "believers" who don't agree with each other either.... What does that mean?.... there are different BELIEFS....

[edit on 12-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Perhaps you could give some examples of climatologists who do not believe that human activity affects the climate or in any way contributes to AGW?

Various petitions have been raised regarding IPCC predictions and the contribution of CO2. But not against AGW per se.

Of course there are some who, for religious or other reasons, reject the idea that humans have any effect at all. They probably don't believe humans are responsible for drying up the Aral Sea either! (which has affected climate)

Do you honestly believe that burning millions of square miles of rainforest, filling the skies with contrails, covering the land in concrete, filling the skies with soot etc etc does not affect climate?

btw how long till we're told to get back to subject?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

From your name, I wouldn't think this explanation would be necessary, but since you offered the smoke analogy, I will counter with one.

I challenge you to plant one of your seeds in a pot on a scale. Measure the amount of water you add to the pot periodically.

I guarantee that the weight of your pot will not change by more than the water you add. In fact, it will weigh less than you expect because of the evaporation of much of the added water.

The entire mass of the plant above ground will be countered by the missing soil that turned into that mass. There is no net gain. I hope you will take me up on the exercise.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hi Get Ready Already,

According to your calculations trees and plants should be nothing more than standing dirt and there should be a big hole underneath of each tree because in order for that tree to reach its hieght and mass it had to create a huge equal sized hole for the mass of the tree above the hole, not including the roots.

Make it easy on both of us, you plant a seed in distilled water only and tell me where all the nutrients came from that will be in your plant. Nutrients and Elements that are nowhere near your plant will be inside of your plant, that is a proven fact. When that plant dies thoses nutrients and elements that came from nowhere will become part of the earth.

I plant more than enough seed already, its your turn. I produce close to 500 tons of food a year, and I don't see 500 tons of dirt missing every year, and I don't use fertilizers or chemicals. You don't have a clue as to how many semi tractor trailers it takes to haul off 500 tons of food. You are lucky if you eat one pound of food at a setting, can you imagine one million pounds of food.

The Earth is growing, there can be no doubt about that; and it's growing at a much faster rate than the other planets in our solar system. Sediments, glacial ice and organic matter are continually carried off and out of the continents to create new land masses, and isostasy takes place because of this new weight distribution.

The closer we get to the Galactic Plane and December 21, 2012 the more we will realize that some of the Earth Changes in the future are going to occur at tremendous rates, and many could die because they are currently not prepared.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join