It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian yoga guru challenges gay sex ruling: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Indian yoga guru challenges gay sex ruling: report

www.news.com.au

INDIA'S top television yoga expert has challenged a landmark court ruling legalising gay sex, claiming it is a "disease" that can be cured by yoga.

"It can be treated like any other congenital defect. Such tendencies can be treated by yoga, pranayama (breathing exercises) and other meditation techniques," he said in the challenge filed in the Supreme Court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Another jerk, part of the moral majority, who wants to tell other people what should come naturally!

I'd like to see his documented evidence that being homo can be treated by yoga. He should be called to present all of his evidence in his court challenge.

The worst part is that he has millions of followers who will, no doubt, continue to make things tough for India's homos to feel comfortable with themselves.

Idiot.

www.news.com.au

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well, i meditate, and i'm a poofter. So it hasn't "cured" me. but then, I don't think I need any kind of curing. I'm healthy, and happy, just the way i am.

It goes to show though, even those who claim to be enlightened, have prejudices.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
India has seen a gay revolution of sorts, from what I have been reading. The old archiac British law that bans gay sex is still in force in India, it is only the Delhi court that has said that 'having gay sex' is not a criminal activity anymore. The court has not legalized gay sex or union, only said that it is not criminal.

This gay phenomenon is largely restricted to the big cities in India like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, Chennai and Bangalore and it is no longer considered to be a taboo to be gay in urban India. Rural India where 60% of the population stays, still considers it as a taboo

Hindu religion does not say anything against a gay union, nor anything for it. Yoga has absolutely nothing to do with it, and if it can be cured by meditation (who knows) then the question to be asked is, do the gay people want to be cured?

[edit on 9-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Dont underestimate the power of yoga.

he goal of yoga may range from improving health to achieving Moksha.[92] Within Jainism and the monist schools of Advaita Vedanta and Shaivism the goal of yoga takes the form of Moksha, which is liberation from all worldly suffering and the cycle of birth and death (Samsara), at which point there is a realisation of identity with the Supreme Brahman. In the Mahabharata, the goal of yoga is variously described as entering the world of Brahma, as Brahman, or as perceiving the Brahman or Atman that pervades all things.[93] For the bhakti schools of Vaishnavism, bhakti or service to Svayam bhagavan itself may be the ultimate goal of the yoga process, where the goal is to enjoy an eternal relationship with Vishnu.[94]

Goal of yoga

It is one of the most ancient practises in India. And it has the capability of curing various diseases and even attaining spiritual contentment and much more; only a trained yoga consultant can complete the list.

Gays maybe legal in the rest of the world because the cultures of western countries accepts it. But, the Indian culture is still based on tradition and since the ancient days and gays were quiet unheard of. In fact, I didnt know that gays existed here in India until the supreme court ruling and all the gays turn out on the streets.

I blame the westernisation for the gay culture.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think a key part of the article was that he is India's 'top television' yoga expert. Some people will say anything to gain some for fame for their TV show or personal appearances. He should be ashamed for twisting the teachings of Yoga.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Another jerk, part of the moral majority, who wants to tell other people what should come naturally!

I'd like to see his documented evidence that being homo can be treated by yoga. He should be called to present all of his evidence in his court challenge.

The worst part is that he has millions of followers who will, no doubt, continue to make things tough for India's homos to feel comfortable with themselves.

Idiot.

www.news.com.au

Agreed!
we should nuke everyone who disagrees and establish a great gay Empire..

Oh wait..

What if it would work that way and gay people could start behaving like non-gays? Can we keep an open mind about this? OR isn't this politically correct?
Ahem, why anybody should give a rats ass about what should be "politically correct" or not if their own lives are on the line?
I saw screw all this and let the people decide what to do with their bodies, their sexuality, if they want to "cure" it or not or change as many roles as they want as long as they are happy and they hurt nobody.

If people would want to change from gay to non gay what is your problem mister?
Who died and made you God?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

Gays maybe legal in the rest of the world because the cultures of western countries accepts it. But, the Indian culture is still based on tradition and since the ancient days and gays were quiet unheard of. In fact, I didnt know that gays existed here in India until the supreme court ruling and all the gays turn out on the streets.

If anything, the westernization of India during colonization led to India not accepting homosexuality. Hinduism does not forbid homosexuality, and many of the myths have homosexual and transgendered elements. Just because YOU have never heard of homosexuality, which is unfathomable to me, doesn't mean it never existed in India

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Well, i meditate, and i'm a poofter. So it hasn't "cured" me. but then, I don't think I need any kind of curing. I'm healthy, and happy, just the way i am. It goes to show though, even those who claim to be enlightened, have prejudices.
More power to you, mate. Enjoy it all.

It's a bit hard to be truly enlightened, when your head is stuck in the sand, denying reality.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

If anything, the westernization of India during colonization led to India not accepting homosexuality. Hinduism does not forbid homosexuality, and many of the myths have homosexual and transgendered elements. Just because YOU have never heard of homosexuality, which is unfathomable to me, doesn't mean it never existed in India

To me this is just another clasic example of "homophobia at its best" as well as moral issues, misunderstanding and non acceptance. "Yoga" is union and is the "Oneness" of All Things.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Well, i meditate, and i'm a poofter. So it hasn't "cured" me. but then, I don't think I need any kind of curing. I'm healthy, and happy, just the way i am. It goes to show though, even those who claim to be enlightened, have prejudices.
More power to you, mate. Enjoy it all.

It's a bit hard to be truly enlightened, when your head is stuck in the sand, denying reality.

Agreed -also a "Guru" is someone who is an Enlightened being- someone who is advanced in "Higher Teachings" this really contradicts the wisdom and teachings of an "Enlightened being"(Guru).

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I'd like to appologise on behalf of the west. We're sorry we brought teh gays to India. Becasue you didn't have them there before we had them

maybe you hadn't heard about gay people in India, because it's been illegal, and people get put to death for "coming out" just a thought

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Yes being gay was illegal, but not one person ever got arrested for it or much less killed as you say.

If being gay becomes legal it will only be symbolic, because being gay in India now or years ago or months ago will not now or before have gotten you i jail.

So it being legal will only be symbolic and that's it.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The wording is the only bad part about this whole story.

When you use wording like "Cure" it IMMEDIATELY brings to mind a problem or disease or something BAD that needs to be changed.

If you consider homosexuality to be a disease or a problem that needs to be corrected then you have not attempted to understand homosexuality enough. You need to do more research on the subject.

I think this world could be a VERY interesting place if we had the power to change at will our own genetically or environmentally designed sexual preferences.

If you could take a pill that would make you be attracted to men or in the case of women attracted to other women or to be straight how cool would that be?

I would do it with another guy if I could take a pill to make me attracted to them. As it is I am not attracted to men (I am a male) I am only attracted to women.

I do not find mustaches to be attractive. I could not imagine snuggling or smooching lips with someone who had facial hair. Or an excessive amount of body hair. Or a deep voice. Yuck!

My mind tells me what it likes. I do not tell it. It tells me that soft skin and feminine smells and a high pitched woman's voice entice me.

It tells ME what it finds attractive. It is not like I can decide for myself. It is human instinct.

Very much like taste buds. I come pre-wired. I cannot say to my taste buds "Look here taste buds. You are going to LIKE the taste of Fish!" (I HATE fish btw).

It is not a personal CHOICE! It is just the way it is. Or for yall religious folks "Tha way the creator made ya!"

To attempt to "CURE" someone of their sexual preferences is to attempt to "CURE" someone of the way their body's taste buds prefer different tastes. I mean I WISH I could eat fish. I CANNOT! I GAG at the taste! Tuna and seafood are VERY healthy. I think that Sushi sounds very modern and artsy but I can barely even stand the SMELL of seafood.

The strange thing is I LOVE shellfish. Shrimp, crab legs. Pretty weird I know.

But if someone were to say to me I can EXPAND your pallet with Yoga rather than CURE it I might be more open to listen.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It may be responsible for your prejudice, but the "disorder" itself can be found all over the world and even in hundreds of different species of animals. It has most certainly been present in your country for a very long time.

You need to learn to get used to it, because all your slandering of it is just based on your lack of understanding. Go read a scientific book about it or something.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
To all the posters who directed flaming at me.

The point I wanted to mention is that the Indian culture has never seen the existence of gays. You can say the western culture is more light towards gays.

But here is the fact. Just because western culture allows gays doesnt necessarily mean that the Indian culture system should allow the gays. It is an damage to the ancient culture system present in India.

The western culture is barely 500 years old, but the Indian culture is thousands of years old. And the cultural values speak out; this kind of indecent and unnatural acts are not entertained.

Just in case you thought that the people opposing the ruling are a few. Think again. All the top leaders of various religions have come together and made a press conference yesterday. And they will be challenging the decision.

But religious groups from the Hindu, Muslim and Christian communities have come out in strongly opposition.

BBC

[edit on July 10th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Gays maybe legal in the rest of the world because the cultures of western countries accepts it. But, the Indian culture is still based on tradition

Who's tradition? You act as if being based on tradition means being gay free or something.... You do know there are several ancient traditions in this world which incorporates homosexuality right? Albeit in a different form than we have culturally today.

And, does the tradition even stack up? I mean is it even relevant to today? You act as if just because India is based on tradition that it's somehow better or something.

and since the ancient days and gays were quiet unheard of.

Really? Do you ever research these claims?

en.wikipedia.org...

In fact, I didnt know that gays existed here in India until the supreme court ruling and all the gays turn out on the streets.

Really? There's a huge difference between "gays not existing" and an oppressive culture. I mean look at the Indian culture toward widows, kissing in public, "supposed witchcraft" seems like a primitive oppressive system to me.

I blame your in ability to look past yourself.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Being neither gay, nor Indian makes me a little hesitant to say this, but I would advise many to show some tolerance towards those who are not able to accept gays as they are.

The reason I say this is because it is easy to hate those who don't accept you, but the practice only makes the condition of non-acceptance stronger and less likely to change.

I'm not saying they should have a right to to actively harm gays, but they have as much a right to express there rationale for not accepting gays as gays have to be what they want to be.

I hope that's not considered out of line, or offensive to anyone.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Really? There's a huge difference between "gays not existing" and an oppressive culture. I mean look at the Indian culture toward widows, kissing in public, "supposed witchcraft" seems like a primitive oppressive system to me.

I usually agree with your posts but i'm surprised that you made this one.
India does not have an oppressive culture.
Have you ever visited India, how can you know from afar?

Firstly what is wrong is your perception of India, you do not understand it.

Kissing in public is fine. However mostly for couples that seem married.
But if a young couple is kissing than yes that's frowned upon.
Only because parents in India are strongly against pre-marital sex.
Is that wrong?
Kissing is not sex no, I understand that, but parents are just being cautious.
You may not agree with it but I commend this culture.

I much rather be part of this community than part of a community where parents buy their daughters breast implants for their 16th birthdays.

And supposed witchcraft?
Dear god buy a plane ticket to India and educate yourself.
You think you will find this supposed witchcraft allegations in city areas or even villages? No
You'll only find it in remote remote remote remote villages.
Villages far far from civilization and organized education.
What else would you expect?

But what do you do? You generalize an entire country based on the beliefs of a few, very few, in a remote remote remote village.

And I know which video you are referring to as well, even in that remote remote village it was only 3 or 4 individuals calling that woman a witch and almost everyone in the backround was opposing it.

I'm surprised at you, I usually like your posts.
But this one is WAYYYY OFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Who's tradition? You act as if being based on tradition means being gay free or something.... You do know there are several ancient traditions in this world which incorporates homosexuality right? Albeit in a different form than we have culturally today.

And, does the tradition even stack up? I mean is it even relevant to today? You act as if just because India is based on tradition that it's somehow better or something.

I wanted to say that the Indian tradition does not accept the gays. Though they might have existed as you said, they were not accepted because they were unnatural.

In case you dont realise, tradition is what keeps the society alive even today.

Dont people have the tradition of going to church every sunday and pray?

Dont people celebrated christmas and share gifts as a part of tradition?

Tradition still exists.

Really? Do you ever research these claims?

en.wikipedia.org...

As I mentioned earlier, though there are references, the culture doesnt accept this.

With regards to the attitude towards widows, things have changed a lot, because people realized that the widows cannot be blamed for the situation they are in and changed for themselves. And regards to kissing in public, it is not accepted even today. Public display of private things are not allowed as part of the culture and is still frowned upon.Lets face it, India is not the USA. And witchcraft has almost dissapeared due to the change in attitude of people.

I blame your in ability to look past yourself.

I blame your in ability to look at what Indian culture says and how it is in compatible with these modern views.

After all gay(unlike transgenders) is just with the mind, not the body. It is the mind that plays havoc and it can be easily cured by suitable treatment.

Edit:Our fellow member above has put it more clearly regarding one of your queries. Hope that it clears up your disinfo

[edit on July 10th, 2009 by peacejet]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join