It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina declares bank holiday due to Swine Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Did anyone catch this on Reuters yesterday?

BUENOS AIRES, July 8 (Reuters) - Argentine financial markets and banks will close on Friday as part of government efforts to fight an outbreak of the H1N1 flu strain that has killed 70 people, officials said on Wednesday.

The government stopped short of declaring a national holiday on Friday, but it gave civil servants the day off and encouraged private companies and other institutions to do the same.

Now, Argentina has been hit proportionally harder than a lot of countries (2485 cases out of a population of 40 million), but to me it still seems like a dangerous precedent to set on the global stage.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

There are theories that say the whole swine flu deal will be used as a scapegoat for the collapsing economy.

You know "it's not our fault, it's because of the swine flu.

I don't see how a bank holiday would stop the spreading of the virus.

It's just one day of les interactions. And after that?

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Today is some sort of national holiday in Argentina, so I guess they are counting on people to just stay home?

The part that got me about the article is it is just a banking holiday. A couple industries (the local theaters, for one) are voluntarily closing, but so what? Unless you are enforcing some kind of nationwide quarrantine, what good is it to simply shut down one sector?

join