It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are we fighting in Afghanistan??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

So you agree that bin laden is dead, but your first post to the OP said we're in Afghanistan because of Bin Laden. You also said we're in Afghanistan to remove a barbaric regime are barbaric in their treatment of those who did not support them. Yet you support lying to the American public about bin Laden in order to deceive them into going into another war based on lies.

How Afghanistan treats its own people shouldn't concern another country any more than how the USA treats its citizens is a concern for another country. If that weren't the case, the American people definitely need saving because the USA has the largest prison population, the biggest military, and one of the highest police per capita in the world. Fluoridated water, fiat-debt-based financial system, widening gap between rich and poor....I could go on, but why bother? The entire world knows how poorly Americans are treated by their own government.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

NO the real reason is >Russia. Pakistan. India and China.
The war on terror is actually a war on Geo-political power.

When the US announced that they where going to wage a war on terror. They meant you to. You are just as much a suspect as a innocent Iraqi or Afghan. The only reason your not a hunted suspect is because you support the agenda thats going on.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I agree with you entirely, but that does not alter the fact that we have the full support of the vast majority of Afghan's and that in this instance we are in the right.
That our governments are hypocritical and inconsistent in their attitude to other countries is beyond discussion, it is so obvious.
Unfortunately the reasons are probably complex and many fold but no doubt profit or the lack of it being a major consideration.

As another poster said, I have no doubt that the opium trade is a major consideration in our presence in Afghanistan.
But it still doesn't alter the fact that we are resisting the advance of an evil, barbaric and repressive movement with the full support of the vast majority of the native people.
That can only be commended and supported.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Archon_Adept

Bin Laden may or may not have been alive when we first got involved in Afghanistan, I think he probably was, however, I don't think he is now.
I see no contradiction there.
They were the reasons given.

The Taliban are evil and repressive and believe it is their duty to spread their word throughout the Islamic world.
For that reason I fully believe we have to stop their advancement before they spread out.
Just like cancer!

I find it amazing that people support a regime and belief system that seeks to deny them the very same freedom they use to support them.
You do understand that freedom of thought, will and choice are the very antithesis of The Taliban and they believe in complete submission to a very harsh interpretation of Sharia that dominates every single aspect of an individuals life and treats women as chattel.

The Afghani people suffered miserably at the hands of The Taliban who destroyed centuries of Afghani culture.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I see it like this. You are a little kid, and your sister steals your cookie. Your mother does not believe you. So you make a scratch across your face and say your sister did it, seeing you cry you get another cookie and your sister punished. I say this out of personal experience
I was not always a model human being.
Yes I think your sister should have been punished, but two wrongs do not make a right.

I wholeheartedly agree if I was Afghani, it would be a miracle to have the Taliban removed, but we are not doing it for them, we are doing it for US, thats what I cant stand. I was seriously considering going there because there is no greater feeling than saving a life... but I couldnt because of the motive.
If we were to just go in, remove Taliban, build schools throw money and leave, I would be there in an hour. But no, were not out until the oil pipeline is finished. This is why I have a hard time 'supporting the troops', they have just as much information and conscience as I. But they dont seem to care the reason they are there. So I just bless em, dont support em. Soon as I can go freely with my own objectives, not taking orders, Ill go help all the civilians of the world under oppression

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
How pathetic is it that we don't know the real reason we are in afganistan

We know that the taliban is evil and not wanted,

but come on, countries like us uk, canada DO NOT DO THINGS TO BE KIND...

at least my grandfather knew why he was in battle. To stop germans from crossing the water into his country.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Because a handful of terrorists intimidate and scare some people to no end and have already won.

Because to attempt to keep the economy going, the has to be perpetual war and if if isn't Afghanistan or Iraq it'll be somewhere else.

Because some megalomaniacs are compelled to control things.

Other than that, I don't know.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I always thought we've had more justification fighting there than in Iraq anyhow. Hussien was a turd, but I always thought Bush was trying to do right by his dad rather than fighting terror. Osama should have been the main (and only?) focus if his group is responsible for the terrorist attacks in my opinion. That is, of course, if we buy into the mainstream views of terror.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
America is in Afghanistan for three reasons. first of all, the drug trade, and was spoken of before, second, Russia wants to build an oil pipeline there, and third, everyone who wants a shot at the Americans is there to shoot, and then die and get their virgins.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

That's about the size of it. Especially the pipelines. That's why we were in Iraq too and why we're targeting Iran, Pakistan, and all the baby-stans.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It's my opinion that our presence in Afghanistan has Nothing to do with Osama, Nothing to do with Terrorism, Nothing to do with the Taliban and EVERYTHING to do with oil

image detailing troops/military assets in regards to existing and proposed oil pipelines.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
But saying 'because the taliban are oppressive" is the WORST excuse ever!!
Then why arent we in N Korea? Why arent we in Myanmar? All over Africa?! Worst of all why are we letting Russia oppress Chechnya?!!
Giving Afghanis freedom is a bull# answer and you know it, we only give freedom where we can make a profit off it after.

Might I put Saudi Arabia on top of your list? A star to you for taking the words out of my mouth!.

Also note a book by Linda McQuaig - It's the Crude, Dude.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The initial invasion in 2001 was to capture Osama Bin Laden as we know this failed. The aim then switched to removing the Taliban altogether as they were sponsoring terrorist training camps for the export of terror to the west

The U S wants to build an oil pipe line thro Afghanistan? I believe it is from Uzbekistan thro to friendly Pakistan. Oil has become the root of all evil.

We cannot interfer with any regime it has to come from the people, life for the majority of women in Afghanistan has not changed one iota.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Because there is a volume of information regarding this, I decided to create a new thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Iran -

once more -

Iran.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Don't understand (IRAN )unless you mean the reason is the oil .

It does look as if there will be a war in Iran and that will be over oil,the same way Iraq was

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It is almost obvious at this point it is about oil and to gain strategic military locations in the area for further oil development operations.

Since this newest war in Afghanistan has begun, there has been an increase in people joining the insurgency organizations.

The opium production and trade has also increased. I think I read that over half of Afghanistan's GDP comes from drugs.

So, why after so many years, would we keep fighting a war when the results are the opposite of what we supposedly want? Sweet sweet oil.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
To the OP, it's not the English Army, it's the British Army.... there are plenty of Scottish, Welsh and Irish soldiers in Afghanistan.

The other day on UK news Barrak Obama gave several reasons for us being involved one of them was the terrorist attacks in London on 7/7.... of couse as we all know those involved in those events were not from Afghanistan they were from Leeds, England. So we should be bombing Leeds.

Personally I think we are there to protect opium production and oil pipelines.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
But saying 'because the taliban are oppressive" is the WORST excuse ever!!
Then why arent we in N Korea? Why arent we in Myanmar? All over Africa?! Worst of all why are we letting Russia oppress Chechnya?!!
Giving Afghanis freedom is a bull# answer and you know it, we only give freedom where we can make a profit off it after.

Agree with the above statement....
Wars have always been about money , greed , power and the US/CIA/or who ever is pulling the strings ,use whatever propaganda it can to make the sheeple belive its to "help" the oppressed. It just pisses me off to no end when they use that line. They could care less about the people.

The Secret Government: The Constitution in Crisis

This is the full length 90 min. version of Bill Moyer's 1987 scathing critique of the criminal subterfuge carried out by the Executive Branch of the United States Government to carry out operations which are clearly contrary to the wishes and values of the American people. The ability to exercise this power with impunity is facilitated by the National Security Act of 1947. The thrust of the exposé is the Iran-Contra arms and drug-running operations which flooded the streets of our nation with crack coc aine. The significance of the documentary is probably greater today in 2007 than it was when it was made. We now have a situation in which these same forces have committed the most egregious terrorist attack on US soil and have declared a fraudulent so-called "War on Terror". The ruling regime in the US who have conducted the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, are now banging the war drum against Iran. We have the PATRIOT act which has stripped us of many of our basic civil rights justified by the terror of 9/11 which is their own doing

video.google.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Whatever the reason UK troops are in Afghanistan, it evidently isn't going well.
It's becoming a Vietnam scenario (except they had helicopters in Vietnam).

I don't think it's a fight that can ever be won, as they're fighting a guerrila force which can easily melt into the terrain and melt even easier into a crowded street, ready to launch an attack or covertly plant IEDs.

Interesting that our dear leader, Gordon Brown, was talking about the Afghanistan Strategy recently, I couldn't help but think, 'what strategy? has there ever been a single focussed strategy, working towards a defined goal? NO!'

It's a mess. But on the other hand, when the homecoming soldiers were marching through worcester the other day, I couldn't help but admire their determination and air of duty. I may not agree with attacking countries halfway around the world on some half-baked pretense, but I respect those brave men.

Peace.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join