It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Prescott calls for hacking probe"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Hello all,

Has anyone seen this:

Former deputy PM John Prescott is calling for inquiries to be reopened into allegations the News of the World hacked into thousands of mobile phones.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk...

If the article is to be believed then doesn't it seem a little strange that the Police knew what was going on but failed to do anything about it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think it was possible to "hack" into a mobile phone?

I know it is possible (although difficult) to clone or snarf someones calls but I thought that due to modern encryption listening to a person's mobile phone calls out of the air is pretty much impossible?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

More Hypocracy from the Governments of the world and especially the UK, They can watch us and listen in on our coversations but as soon as the tables are turned they don't like it, WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Thats actually a good point I didn't even think about!

Echelon is very real and in operation, the government have the power to listen to our phone calls, monitor our emails, read our SMS text messages and even look at our faxes!

But when the tables are turned they spit their dummy out, its okay for them to watch us however it isn't for us to watch them.

I agree its hypocritical.

However, I don't believe in any unlawful communications interception regardless of who the individual is.

I'm starting to question my thoughts regarding comms interception and Echelon as a whole. I'm not sure what I think about it existence really, if through its data a terrorist attack was stopped then obviously I would be praising it.

If it was being abused and people were listening to my phone calls then obviously I wouldn't be pleased but I don't like the idea of me being watched/listened to anyways.

I haven't done anything wrong and I value my privacy.

Tricky question when you look at it like that, whats your thoughts on Echelon?

Should we have it or not?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

We shouldn't have it, IMO simply for the fact that its a snowball rolling down a hill, one day its something small like listening to the mumblings on the fone lines, waiting for watchwords like 'bomb' , 'kill', 'assassinate' etc, then as more words are added the list gets bigger, sooner or later someone says the wrong word and POW, police action is needed.
It leads to surveilance teams watching you and if your deemed 'suspect' then maybe a little accident.
The governments of the world are paranoid and getting worse by the day, Look at the state of the world today, people are angry at the Governments, Governments are angry at other Governments, the Governments are angry at the people, all it would take is one crossed wire literally, to start a powderkeg .

Like the dictionary, theres more and more words being added, some we've never even heard of, the 'terrorists' or ne'er-do-wells are making new words up to cover their crimes , TPTB latch onto them and add them to the list, and so on.

They are coming up with new ways to watch the people and in their paranoia , make it more difficult for us to live free to speak our minds.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Thats another good point you make and I agree with the concept of what your saying.

Tensions between governments and between governments and populations are probably at an all time high and as you say it appears that any slight glitch could cause havoc.

Isn't there more CCTV cameras in the UK than any other country in Europe? I find that shocking, I also find it shocking that we have so many cameras yet they don't seem to be helping to that a proportionate level of crime.

I think the governments and the general population are lot more paranoid than we they used to be, I'll blame the rise in terrorism activities amongst other things for this.

The increase in surveillance and CCTV cameras does at times make me think we are heading for an Orwellian world. In essence your saying where does all this end?

Its only going to get worse and worse, I don't want to see the day we have thought police patrolling the neighbourhoods...

I was watching a program the other day that showed a certain part of the UK gets its council members to employ members of the public to walk/watch the beach and report people who allow their dogs to soil the place.

While I agree its not nice walking around a beach with dog poo, I though it was a little extreme to pay people to grass on each other.

I wonder how much of the information obtained through Echelon actually helps in the fight against terror? Obviously we won't know because that statistic is most likely classified but it would be interesting to find out.

If Echelon data helps stop a large terror attack would that warrant its existence?

Should we accept that we may occasionally be monitored? If in other instances this monitoring system prevented a terrorist attack and thus saved the life of one of your children then should we tolerate it?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I think you're misunderstanding the "HACK".

It wasn't the actual calls being listened to, it was their voicemail. Which to be honest ain't that hard, as the majority of people never change the default pin.. Infact the same applies for answer machine.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

Former deputy prime minister John Prescott, whose phone calls were allegedly monitored, said "many many" questions needed to be answered about the claims.

The article did orginally talk about the calls being listened to. If its in fact only talking about their voicemails then I suppose its still not good, but definately not as bad.

Thats why I asked the question, I didn't think it was possible to snarf peoples call no more?

new topics

top topics

join